Study in Bulgaria
In spite of Bulgaria being a less popular study destination, students receive high-quality education. Increasing mobility and links between Bulgarian higher education systems and universities around Europe provide great diversity and lead to a strong foundation for a future career.
Bulgaria´s higher education system was reorganized in the mid-1990s, after the fall of the communist regime. Between 1995 and 2002, the number of university graduates increased from 33,000 to 50,000. In 2002, 42 institutions of higher learning were available in the country, with 215,700 students enrolled. Since 2007, Bulgaria is a member of the European Union and Bulgarian Higher Education degrees are fully recognised in EU member states.
Presently, higher education institutions include Universities, Colleges and Specialized Education Schools. All institutions of Higher Education in Bulgaria are autonomous and responsible for programme design and quality. Almost all universities in the country have Bulgarian accreditation and some have double accreditation from foreign institutions.
Find the best information about what it’s like to study in Sofia, including degree course offers, career opportunities, student life, living costs, and more.
Higher education degrees
Higher education in Bulgaria provides applicants with the following degrees options:
- College degree – obtained after three years of studies;
- Bachelor’s degree – obtained after three to four years of studies;
- Master’s degree – obtained after one year with a completed Bachelor’s degree (or 5 years if taken directly after graduating high-school);
- PhD or Doctorate degree – obtained after three years of studies, only available for applicants with a Master’s degree.
General application requirements
Documents required for a Bulgarian university application include:
- A completed application form;
- A validated copy and a certified translation of the applicant’s high-school diploma;
- Applicants for Master’s degree courses should present a validated copy and a certified translation of a diploma (Bachelor’s or Master’s) accompanied by a transcript of study records;
- A medical certificate issued not earlier than one month before the application procedure;
- A photocopy of the applicant’s passport/identity card;
- Four recent photographs of the applicant;
- Certificate of English, French or German proficiency for those wishing to study in an international language. If you have good command of the language and you do not have an international certificate, you may take a language test at a Bulgarian high education institution.
Admission criteria vary between Bulgarian universities. In most cases, admission is based on application file documents, without an entrance exam. The only exam is for prospective European students who need to apply for a Bulgarian scholarship.
For more information visit: http://www.studyinbulgaria.com/application-documents/
Bulgarian study courses are available in various fields such as medicine, mathematics, computer sciences, engineering, chemistry, biology, linguistics, etc. Students choosing to complete a medical degree in Bulgaria are free to take internships in countries throughout the EU.
International students wishing to study in Bulgarian must follow a preparatory one-year course. These are designed for students who require additional knowledge of language of instruction or who need to review basic science subjects for university studies. Citizens of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, who would like to receive financial assistance from the Bulgarian Government, must learn Bulgarian.
Courses are career-focused and lectures interest-driven. Classes take place in compact study groups. Extracurricular activities allow students to gather helpful life experience while enjoying their free time. Tutoring is a common practice in Bulgaria, supporting personal and professional improvement.
Consultation services assist international students looking to study in Bulgaria by providing information and help with the application process and moving to the country. Students receive personalized counselling for choosing a Bulgarian university that is right for them. Comprehensive continuous support services are available throughout the academic year.
Credit transfer from previous studies is possible.
The grading scale in Bulgarian high education institutions is based on grades from 2 to 6. Grades below 3 are failing grades. These grades are used when calculating Grade Point Average (GPA).
Language of instruction
Bulgarian universities have more than 20 years of experience in teaching international languages such as English, French or German. Some Bulgarian universities offer classes taught in English, French or German and provide double degrees through partnerships with universities abroad. Some universities offer programmes fully taught in English.
English language preparation courses for studying in Bulgaria
Develop your academic English language skills in order to meet the English language requirements at Bulgarian universities offering degree studies for international students. Choose an English language school anywhere in the world and pick your preferred English exam preparation course from diverse language course options.
After getting the acceptance letter from the university, future students should apply for the Bulgarian Student Visa, valid 3 to 6 months. The student Visa can be obtained from the Bulgarian Embassy in the student’s home country.
Required documents for Bulgarian student visa application:
- Photocopy of Passport valid for at least one year;
- Acceptance letter from the university (including statement that the applicant will be accommodated in a student hostel);
- Medical insurance valid for the EU member states for the whole period of the trip;
- Proof of paid tuition fee;
- Colour photos;
- Tickets (original and copy) or ticket booking confirmation or financial means;
- All students from non-EU / EEA countries and Switzerland must have an entry visa to study in Bulgaria.
After arriving in Bulgaria, applicants must apply for a long-term stay (residency permit) in Bulgaria, valid for one year.
For more details visit: http://www.studyinbulgaria.com/bulgarian-student-visa/