Study in Serbia
Higher education system has two types of studies:
- Academic studies organized at universities, and
- Applied profession-oriented studies organized either at colleges of applied studies or at universities.
Universities are independent higher education institutions that may offer all types and levels of study courses. Universities consist of individual faculties. In order to obtain accreditation universities have to offer all levels of study courses at least in three areas of studies.
Colleges are independent higher education institutions that offer basic, specialist and master’s degree courses in one or more areas. There are two types of colleges:
- Colleges of Academic Studies – offering academic courses
- Colleges of Applied Studies – offering applied study courses.
Find the best information about what it’s like to study in Belgrade, including degree course offers, career opportunities, student life, living costs, and more.
General application requirements
Basic requirement to enter Bachelor and integrated study programmes is the completion of a four-year secondary education and passing the entrance exam. Specific admission pre-requisites usually entail the specific knowledge in certain disciplines and should be checked for the particular program a student is interested in. Entrance exams are usually held in early July and early September. The ranking of candidates depends on both the entrance exam and the success from the previous level of education.
Applicants need to go through a process of recognition of their study credentials. Candidates should submit the following documentation to the higher education institution:
- request form;
- proof of payment of expenses;
- two certified photocopies of a foreign higher education document;
- two copies of translation of the foreign higher education document into the Serbian language;
- two copies of diploma supplement or course record transcript;
- two copies of the translation of the document;
- two copies of a decision by the authorized body on name and/or surname change for persons who have changed their name.
Admission to a Master programme is permitted after the successful completion of a Bachelor programme in a related subject. Admission to a Doctoral programme is permitted after the successful completion of a Master programme.
Higher education institutions determine specific programme application requirements. Contact the student admission department for detailed information.
For more information visit: http://www.studyinserbia.rs/en/cms/study-in-serbia/recognition-of-foreign-degrees
The three-cycle system of academic studies includes:
- Basic academic studies (Bachelor), lasting 3-4 years;
- Master studies, lasting 1-2 years;
- Doctoral studies (PhD) with a minimum of three years of study.
In the field of medical science (the studies of medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine), studies are organized through integrated studies that last 6 years.
Vocational studies comprise of two levels:
- Basic applied studies, lasting three years
- Specialized applied studies, lasting one year
The main language of instruction is Serbian for all educational levels. There are also English-taught study programmes. In many universities and colleges, there are additional benefits for foreign exchange students, such as organizing consultations with professors in English, etc.
Study visaVisa applications should be submitted to the student’s local Embassy or Consulate of the Republic of Serbia.Visa General visa requirements:
- Valid passport (passport must be valid at least 90 days from issue date of visa)
- Letter of invitation from the university that the student enrolled in.
- Completed visa application form;
- Photo (size 3.5x4.5cm);
- Return ticket or Itinerary;
- Proof of sufficient funds for staying in Serbia;
- Health insurance;
- Visa fee.
For more information regarding the issuance of visa, please contact the nearest diplomatic-consular mission of the Republic of Serbia.
Also visit: http://www.studyinserbia.rs/en/cms/living-in-serbia/visa-and-permits
English language preparation for studying in Serbia
Develop your academic English language skills in order to meet the English language requirements at Serbian universities offering degree studies for international students. Choose an English language school anywhere in the world and pick your preferred English exam preparation course from diverse language course options.