Study in Armenia
Presently, there are 26 state universities (4 of which internationally managed), and more than 42 private higher education institutions operating in the Republic of Armenia. Many types of institutions provide quality higher education: universities, institutes, academies and conservatories.
More than 7 thousand foreign students and fellows study in the higher education institutions of Armenia.
Types of higher education institutions
- Universities provide higher, postgraduate and supplementary education in different branches of natural and sociological fields, science, technology, and culture. Opportunities are also provided for scientific research and studies.
- Higher Education Institutes conduct specialized and postgraduate academic programs and scientific research in a number of scientific, economic and cultural branches.
- Educational Academies are aimed at the development of education, science, technology and culture in an individual field. Programs prepare and re-train highly qualified specialists in an individual field and also offer postgraduate academic programs.
- Conservatories prepare specialists in the field of music, providing qualification development and postgraduate academic programs.
- State Higher Education Institutions are autonomous, not-for-profit legal state entities, which possess, utilize and manage the property allocated to them according to their mission and policies developed by the government.
General application requirements
Foreigners are eligible to apply for bachelor’s degree if they have at least a secondary school education and corresponding certificate.
All or part of the following documents will be required for the application process:
- Application for admission addressed to the Minister of Education and Science
- Application form provided by the Ministry of Education and Science
- Health certificate
- Passport or birth certificate copy
- Secondary school graduation diploma
- 4 passport type photographs
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
When applying for a graduate study programme a bachelor diploma will be required.
Each higher education institution may have specific application requirements. Make sure to ask the department of international student relations for detailed information before applying.
For more information visit: http://studyinarmenia.org/faq
English language preparation for studying in Armenia
Develop your academic English language skills in order to meet the English language requirements at Armenian universities offering degree studies for international students. Choose an English language school anywhere in the world and pick your preferred English exam preparation course from diverse language course options.
Higher education degrees
The main education programme that prepares specialists for a Bachelor’s degree includes required courses and practice of general humanities and social-economics, mathematics, natural sciences and special professional disciplines, many of which contain elective and optional courses. To acquire the first degree, i.e. Bachelor’s degree, at one of the institutions of higher education, applicants should complete 4 years of study, or 5 years for a medical specialization.
Specialist Diploma studies provides graduates with various types of professional skills and specialized theoretical and practical courses in addition to general education studies. The duration of study is at least 5 years. For education in arts and physical education students must complete 4 years of study. The programme ends with an assessment and a diploma thesis.
The Master’s qualification is awarded Bachelor’s or Specialist Diploma graduates. Graduates completing the Master’s programme have the knowledge, competence and skills necessary for scientific research, scientific-pedagogical activity, management and independent professional development.
A PhD student (researcher) is a person holding a higher education qualification (master’s or Diploma Specialist’s degree), who carries out Doctoral research to expand his/her theoretical knowledge and to prepare a scientific thesis. Upon completion of at least a 3-year postgraduate study and a successful defence of a thesis, the PhD student (researcher) is awarded a PhD (Candidate of Science).
The formal weekly workload (contact hours) that students are expected to carry out depends on the type of programmes and differ considerably from institution to institution within the country, but common practices are as follows: for Bachelor programmes 28-32 hours per week (sometimes up to 36), for Master programmes 16- 18 hours and for postgraduate (Doctorate) programmes 4-8.
Students’ learning outcomes are assessed by a series of oral and written examinations and tests. The results of examinations are assessed by grading systems varying considerably among institutions. State examination committees conduct the final evaluation of graduates.
To become a student in Armenia you can start by just having a tourist visa. Then you can apply for your preferred HEI. After getting admission, the specific Institution will apply to the consular section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in order to provide entry permission for you. Once getting the permission, the student can apply for a visa in the Embassy of Armenia in his/her respective country. The Embassy issues a single entry visa (the student pays for visa charges in the Embassy).
If there is no Armenian Embassy in the student’s country, he/she will be notified of the specific visa application procedure.
The student receives a Resident Card once in Armenia, free of charge.
Foreigners enter the territory of the Republic of Armenian through border-control points. For entry, a foreigner must have valid passport, entry visa or a document of residency status unless Armenian laws or international agreements define no other procedure.
Minor foreigners may enter Armenia accompanied by parents, a parent or any other legal representative or if one arrives to his parents, a parent, other legal representative or organization.
Ask your local embassy or consulate for detailed information about visa application procedures.
For more information visit: http://www.mfa.am/en/visa/