|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The programme offers advanced academic study of counselling and related practices. It aims to foster the development of critical reflection on the field by professionally qualified practitioners and others.
It complements professional training in counselling, by providing students from a range of backgrounds with critical perspectives on counselling and related practices.
This taught masters firmly locates the practice of counselling within the field of social-science enquiry. Distinctive features of this degree include close links with professional training in counselling and with social-science research concerned with counselling and society.
It includes the professionally validated Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Studies, three other substantive taught courses and a dissertation based on empirical research.
This MSc is not a full professional training in counselling. The latter is offered through the Master of Counselling (Interpersonal Dialogue), two years full-time, or the Master of Counselling, four years part-time.
Learning Outcomes The MSc in Counselling Studies provides:
* in-depth knowledge of the theories informing counselling and psychotherapy;
* social-science perspectives on debates about counselling and psychotherapy;
* critical appreciation of the key debates, research methods and professional issues in counselling and related fields;
* transferable interpersonal, conceptual and analytical skills, including critical thinking, self-evaluation and research.
This degree enhances the career prospects of practitioners using counselling skills in related fields such as healthcare, social work or education. It is also of interest to social scientists and researchers specialising in the study of health and illness, and the practice and cultural significance of the talking therapies.
Teaching and learning methods include lectures, theory seminars and independent study. Assessment is through essays and the dissertation.
In addition, the Postgraduate Certificate component involves experiential group work, practice-skills workshops and individual tutorials, with self and peer assessment and portfolio work, complementing essay-based assessment.
The programme provides a high level of student-tutor contact and close supervision of both listening practice and research, in line with professional and academic requirements.
Candidates should possess either:
* a UK 2:1 honours degree or its equivalent if outside the UK, in any subject;
* or a good lower second class degree together with a strong personal statement, normally including relevant experience and/or references confirming aptitude for study at a postgraduate level;
* or professional qualifications equivalent to an honours degree;
All candidates should demonstrate high levels of motivation through their personal statement indicating why they wish to study counselling, and demonstrating an understanding of counselling and the capacity to reflect on personal aptitude for work in this field.
English Language Requirements
* IELTS 6.5 (with 6.0 in each section)
* TOEFL 580 (with 55 in each section and 4.0 in TWE)
* TOEFL 237 in CBT (with 21 in each section)
* TOEFL-iBT 92 (with at least 20 in each section)
* CPE Grade B or higher
* CAE Grade A
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|200 (Grade A)|
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!