Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Analysis of key issues in the field of forced migration, with the option to specialise in the cultural, political, legal and psycho-social fields. Dedicated research methods module to develop advanced analytical skills and prepare for the independent research dissertation.
Refugee Studies at UEL
* adopts a multi-disciplinary approach to the study of forced migration
* examines global and local dimensions of forced migration
* encourages independent critical approaches to contemporary refugee issues
* views forced migration as a lived experience
* adopts a refugee-centred perspective
* considers links between theoretical and applied/policy issues in forced migration
* encourages interest in refugee communities of East London
Your future career
Prepares students for employment in areas related to refugee needs, notably in the fields of education, welfare, health, employment, housing, community development, counselling, human rights, and immigration and asylum law. Also develops skills appropriate for further academic research in migration, diasporic and ethnic studies, legal studies, and in social, political, psycho-social and cultural theory.
One year full-time; two years part-time. Two compulsory taught modules; choice of two taught modules from seven options; research dissertation.
Lectures, seminars, workshops and tutorials. Group work is encouraged.
All assessment is by coursework: essays, reports, presentations, research proposal, and dissertation. All modules are assessed. The final award takes account of all modules marks.
Relevance to work/profession
The programme is especially relevant to employment where there is engagement with refugees and other migrants, including in education, health, welfare, human rights, law and legal advice, advocacy, counselling and community work. It has general relevance to public-sector employment. Projects, including the dissertation, may draw extensively on work experience.
All modules give opportunities for group work, especially when assessment includes student presentations. Dissertations provide the opportunity for focused independent research.
The programme equips students with key transferable skills. By the end of the programme students should have acquired:
* high levels of competence in library and bibliographical research;
* advanced critical and evaluative abilities;
* research management skills;
* capabilities to design and deliver substantial written reports;
* capabilities to design and execute social research projects;
* enhanced abilities in verbal presentation;
* skills in data collection and analysis;
* familiarity with means of dissemination and mobilising research findings;
* advanced abilities to collaborate in research groups and teams.
Applicants are normally required to have a good first degree in a cognate area of study. Under special circumstances applicants without a relevant first degree but with substantial professional experience may be considered.
In the case of applicants whose first language is not English, then IELTS *** (or equivalent) is required. International qualifications will be checked for appropriate matriculation to UK Higher Education postgraduate programmes.
Students that apply to enter stages of the programme may be admitted through normal Accreditation of Experiential Learning (AEL) or Accreditation of Certificated Learning (ACL) processes, or through an approved articulation agreement. Therefore such applicants must be able to demonstrate and evidence that they have the required learning outcomes as listed in the modules for which they are seeking exemption.
|CAE score:||60 (Grade C)|
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.