|Application deadline:||Fall intake: July 1; Non EU: April 1; Spring intake: October 1|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||August 2014, January 2015|
|Credits:|| 120 ECTS |
3360 academic hours
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The Research Master's program in Philosophy is a two-year program that covers a wide range of subjects in philosophy. Our overall aim is to provide you with the skills and insight needed to do independent intellectual work in philosophy at a postgraduate level. Some of our students want to acquire these skills and insights as preparation for a PhD track, some plan to use them in another area of intellectual enterprise, and some are just curious and want to know what postgraduate studies in philosophy are like. But all are invited to participate in a lively research environment in which students are encouraged to interact with some of the best minds in the field.
The art of thinking
The difference between our Research Masters program in Philosophy and other programs is that it emphasizes skills. You will receive a solid, thorough training in the art of thinking: clear reasoning, critical analysis, deciphering complex subjects, and techniques such as conveying your thoughts accurately. As a Masters graduate you will be able to make a valuable contribution to the intellectual debate on philosophy, both amongst colleagues and in wider social circles.
Research in philosophy at Tilburg University attracts world-wide attention. In theoretical philosophy, the Tilburg Center for Logic and Philosophy of Science (TiLPS) is home to extensive collaboration between logicians, philosophers of science, epistemologists, and philosophers of language. And in practical philosophy there is a similarly strong cooperation between ethicists and social, political and legal philosophers. There are frequent guest lectures by renowned speakers from all over the world, all of which are open to students. We stimulate an intellectually open atmosphere and we not only study the many interconnections between philosophical topics but also engage in interdisciplinary research, in which philosophical points of view are combined with insights from economics, legal theory, psychology, sociology, anthropology, linguistics or computer science.
What makes this program special?
* You will receive hands-on training in philosophy through participation in research seminars in a variety of fields, including Philosophy of Science, Logic, Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Language, Ethics, Philosophy of Law, Philosophy of Culture, and Social Philosophy.
* Training courses will help you improve scholarly skills such as academic writing and giving talks.
* You will get a chance to discuss your ideas with leading philosophers from all over the world.
* You will be assigned a personal tutor, who will give you active support.
Spectrum of specializations
Within Tilburg University, School of Humanities we offer the widest selection of philosophy specializations in Europe. You can choose between expert supervision in continental, analytical and historical approaches to philosophy in a wide range of research areas.
The Research Master in Philosophy offers teaching in the entire range of philosophical disciplines, and if some course should not be taught at one of the participating universities, it will be at the other, an hour's train ride away. However, students enrolling at Tilburg are expected to choose one of the following specializations:
Epistemology and Philosophy of Science (TiLPS)
In Epistemology and Philosophy of Science you study topics from general philosophy of science, the philosophy of the natural sciences, and the philosophy of the social and behavioural sciences. This is done by applying a spectrum of methods ranging from the traditional method of conceptual analysis to the application of formal methods, often in close interaction with the sciences.
Logic, Language, Rationality, and Information (TiLPS)
In Logic, Language, Rationality, and Information you help develop logics that fit ordinary rational behaviour better than straightforward applications of classical logic do. There is a special interest in the philosophy of language and in logics for ordinary language, the normal vehicle of reasoning.
Philosophy of Mind
In Philosophy of Mind you not only study the rationality of the science of the mind-psychology-in its relation to other disciplines, such as anthropology, economics, and neuroscience, but you also study the rationality of human and animal cognition itself. The role of the body, the environment, and evolution take central stage here.
Legislation and Identity
In Legislation and Identity you focus on the study of legal and political philosophy, with a special emphasis on issues pertaining to political representation, collective identity, and the first-person plural perspective of a "we" as a putative unity in legislative action. You will draw on strands of analytic philosophy, phenomenology, and the history of philosophy.
Morality and Ethical Life
In Morality and Ethical Life you concentrate on fundamental ethics, social philosophy and the history of philosophy. You will study the question how the tradition of German Idealism can be made productive for the understanding of the relation between Morality and Ethical Life in a globalized and multicultural world.
Economy and Ethics
In Economy and Ethics you study the moral dimensions of markets and market processes. Research questions include: What are the possibilities and limitations of the market from a moral point of view? How can markets serve a plurality of interests within society, and how can they contribute to social and ecological sustainability and general welfare?
Culture, Identity and Representation
In Culture, Identity and Representation you will focus on the hermeneutics of representation and from this point of view will study issues such as identity, narrativity, corporality, art and the evolution of communication. You will engage, in particular, with the work of Kant, Husserl, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Derrida, Lyotard, Lacoue-Labarthe, and Nancy
Before applying, please make sure that you meet the following requirements:
* You have a Bachelor's degree* in a relevant discipline with an average score of 7.5 (out of 10) on your preliminary examinations in the second and third years of your completed Bachelor's program, and a minimum score of 8 on your final Bachelor's thesis, or equivalent scores for these study units in a non-Dutch higher education system.
* Or, you have a Master's degree*; in a relevant discipline with an average score of 7.5 (out of 10) on your preliminary examinations of your completed Master's program and a minimum score of 8 on your final Master's thesis, or equivalent scores for these study units in a former or non-Dutch higher education system.
* Sufficient talent, affinity and motivation with respect to doing scientific research, as demonstrated in the Bachelor's or Master's thesis (or a comparable essay), or in a dedicated research proposal.
* An adequate knowledge of English is required. Please send us a certified copy of ONE of the following English proficiency tests: Academic IELTS (min. 7.0 overall/6.5 on parts), TOEFL (min. paper-based: 600, internet-based: 100; the TOEFL Institutional Code for Tilburg University is 9860) or Cambridge Proficiency Examination. The English proficiency tests must be less than two years old at the time of application.
You are exempt from an English test:
* A) If you are a native English speaker, i.e. if you are a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
* B) If you completed all your secondary education in English. This only applies to scholars from the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
* C) If you completed all your university education in English. This only applies to scholars from the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
* D) If you have an International Baccalaureate (IB) or European Baccalaureate (EB) diploma with English as the language of instruction.
* E) If you completed a 4-years Bachelors program (of at least 240 ECTS credits) fully in English in an accredited University of Applied Sciences (HBO) in the Netherlands.
* F) If you completed a 3-years Academic Bachelors program (of at least 180 ECTS credits) fully in English in an accredited Research University the Netherlands.
* G) If you completed a 1 or 2-years Academic Masters program (of at least 60 or 120 ECTS credits respectively) fully in English in an accredited Research University the Netherlands.
In all other cases, please send us a certified copy of ONE of the following English proficiency tests:
* Academic IELTS (min. 7.0 overall/6.5 on parts)
* TOEFL (min. paper-based: 600, internet-based: 100; the TOEFL Institutional Code for Tilburg University is 9860)
* Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) with a min. level of B
* Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
*To students who have successfully completed a Master's or a comparable final academic examination in a relevant discipline, the Admissions Committee proposes a reduced programme, which, according to the Admissions Committee, warrants successful completion of the program of the program with all exemptions from units of study take into account.
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|80 (Grade A)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||600|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||100|
No work experience is required.
Tilburg University offers scholarships for both prospective and current students. At Tilburg University we are committed in supporting financially talented and motivated students to study in our graduate programs. Below you will find a short description and a link to various types of scholarships which can help you finance your study at Tilburg University.
Please note that the number of scholarships are limited and mainly targeted at students with excellent study results. We therefore recommend you to carefully read the requirements and deadlines.
Scholarships sponsored by Tilburg University
* Tilburg University Scholarship for Academic Excellence
Scholarship and tuition waiver for excellent non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Master's degree program at Tilburg University.
* TSH - Scholarship for Academic Excellence
Scholarship for excellent EU/EEA students enrolling in a Master's degree program at Tilburg School of Humanities.
* Tilburg - Orange Tulip Scholarship China
Tuition waiver for outstanding Chinese students enrolling in a Master's degree program at Tilburg University.
* Tilburg - Orange Tulip Scholarship Indonesia
Tuition waiver for outstanding Indonesian students enrolling in a Master's degree program at Tilburg University.
* Tilburg - Orange Tulip Scholarship Korea
Tuition waiver for outstanding Korean students enrolling in a Master's degree program at Tilburg University.
* Tilburg - Orange Tulip Scholarship Mexico
Tuition waiver for outstanding Mexican students enrolling in a Master's degree program at Tilburg University.
Scholarships and Loan Programs in cooperation with Tilburg University
* NFP Scholarship
The Netherlands Fellowship Program is funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and offers a scholarship to students from more than 60 different countries. The NFP Scholarship is designed to promote capacity building, and is applicable to PhD programs or to one of the following Master study programs at Tilburg University: * MA in Communication and Information Sciences
* MA in Management of Cultural Diversity
* Research Master in Language and Communication
* Research Master in Philosophy
* StuNed Scholarship
Scholarship available for Indonesian professionals with at least two years of work experience in a development-related organization.
* Conicyt Scholarship
Scholarship available for Master and PhD candidates from Chile. Tilburg University offers an additional tuition waiver.
* COLFUTURO Scholarship
Loan-scholarship available for Master and PhD candidates from Colombia. Tilburg University offers an additional tuition waiver.
* UAF Scholarship
Scholarship available for refugees and asylum seekers who would like to pursue their study program at a Dutch University.
* Sino-Dutch Bilateral Exchange Scholarship
Joint Scholarship Program for Chinese Master and PhD students, who will take a Master program or full PhD study or period of PhD dissertation research at Tilburg University.
* FIDERH Scholarship
Scholarship available for Mexican citizens, with a bachelor's degree, that have an unconditional offer for a Master or PhD.
* EUROSA + Scholarship
Part of the Erasmus Mundus program, scholarships for students and researchers from South Africa who want to spend (part of) their studies at Tilburg University. The scholarship is available for a wide range of study fields.
* PENTA Scholarship Part of the Erasmus Mundus program, scholarship for students and researchers from Western Balkan countries, who want to spend (part of) their studies at Tilburg University. The scholarship is available for a wide range of study fields.
* Jean Monnet Scholarship Programme
Scholarship program for Turkish students who want to to follow a Master's programs at Tilburg University. Minimum stay of 3 months required, maximum stay of 12 months, scholarship covers approximately all expenses. The scholarship is available for the following Masters:: * Communication and Information Studies
* Management of Cultural Diversity
More information on grants can be found at Grantfinder
Excellence Scholarship for TiU students
Excellent students with a Bachelor degree of Tilburg University, can apply for an Excellence Scholarship. The scholarship must be used for a Master's abroad or a Research Master at Tilburg University.
On April 3, 2013, the NVAO (Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders) decided to award Tilburg University the education quality assurance label. This label "expresses that the internal quality care and the efforts of an institution for higher education to improve its performance in relation to the quality of its programs has been positively assessed by the accreditation organization."
The NVAO assessment panel has tested Tilburg University's policy on five standards: quality vision, education policy, results, improvement policy, and organization and decision structure. In addition, the panel explored three "critical themes" :
* the assessment policy in the Bachelor's degree program of Liberal Arts and Sciences;
* responsible citizenship in the Bachelor's program of Business Economics and the Master's program of Marketing Management, and
* internationalization in the Bachelor's and Master's programs in Law.
The assessment panel concluded that Tilburg University is home to a vibrant and stimulating quality culture and has a relevant and widely supported vision on educational quality. The panel expressed its appreciation for the consistency of Tilburg University's quality policy, for example, in the development of research-based learning at the Tilburg School of Economics and Management.
The result of the Institutional Quality Assurance Assessment remains valid for six years. This label means that individual programs will be subject to a much lighter accreditation regime than if the university had not passed the assessment.
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.