Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
You also benefit from unrivalled joint resources and expertise offered by the department of Linguistics & English Language, the Institute for Applied Language Studies and the Moray House School of Education all leading centres for the studies of language and teaching.
This programme will develop your love of language and its teaching, giving you the knowledge and professional skills you need to enter this challenging area, or to extend your current career. You will learn through a combination of fundamental theory and practice, including class observation.
For the MSc you will complete six compulsory courses and two optional courses, plus a dissertation. The PgDip comprises a similar combination of compulsory and optional courses.
MSc compulsory courses
* Language and the Learner
* Language, Education and Society
* Professional Practice
* Research Methods (Part One) Sources of Knowledge
* Research Methods (Part Two) Conceptualising Research: Foundations, * Assumptions and Praxis
* Research Methods (Part 3) Planning Research
Optional courses may include:
* Language Programme Design
* Language Testing
* Evaluation and Design of TESOL Materials
* Techniques & Processes of Teacher Education and Supervision for TESOL
* TESOL for Young Learners
* Online Language Learning
* Approaches to Media Analysis
* Teaching Texts Across BordersFrom Picture Books to Teenage Fiction and Film
* Theory and Practice of Second Language Learning
* TESOL Methodology
* Text, Discourse and Language Teaching
* Second Language Teaching Curriculum and Language in Use
The minimum entry requirement is a UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent in a relevant discipline. Alternatively, you may be considered on the basis of employment or relevant experience.
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|80 (Grade A)|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||100|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.