Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Water is one of the most precious resources on earth. The growing demands for safe, clean and affordable potable water can only be met by increased interdisciplinary knowledge of water quality and the advanced, effective and sustainable treatment of water.
The master course Water Science shall impart in-depth knowledge and practical experience in natural science aspects of aquatic systems with focus in chemistry, microbiology and analytics.
The course comprises compulsory modules in analytical chemistry, applied microbiology, biofouling/biocorrosion, chemometrics, environmental microbiology and water chemistry. Within these areas, three practical courses are required. 32 out of 90 CPs are allocated to optional courses that can be chosen from a variety of water-related topics to set a more individual study focus.
The master course Water Science comprises 120 credits (ECTS) including a master thesis (30 CP).
Field of activity/job market
Everywhere, where water is in the focus of a job. This could be in laboratories, industry, administration or consulting. Examples include:
* Drinking water supply
* Waste water treatment
* Water reuse
* Analytical and microbiological laboratories
* International aid and health organizations
Furthermore, successful students may also continue their academic education aiming at a PhD.
Students can enroll from a variety of backgrounds. We expect a university bachelor degree in natural sciences or engineering with chemical, analytical and biological / microbiological contents, including generally an experimental bachelor thesis on a topic relevant in the field of Water Science.
Further requirements are:
* a GPA (final grade) of at least 66 (out of 100)
* good command of English (a copy of a English language proficiency certificate with at least TOEFL 550 (paper based)/215 (computer based)/81(internet based) or IELTS 6.0)
* documented practical courses in essential chemical, analytical and microbiological topics
* a letter of recommendation by their home institution (non-EU/EEA)
* an individual letter of motivation why to study Water Science (1 page)
* CHINESE students please note: You have to provide an APS certificate along with your application documents.