Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Biotechnology is the application of the biological sciences, using living organisms or natural products, in industrial situations. It's a growth area, with specific applications to the pharmaceutical, agricultural, pollution control and waste management industries. There is a demand for biotechnologists with an understanding and awareness of the industrial and medical applications of this technology.
You develop the skills needed at the interface of biology and engineering, to design processes and products relating to these industries. On completion of the course, you'll be able to:
* interpret data generated by bioanalytical methods
* develop bioremediation strategies
* design and evaluate strategies for biomanufacturing products
* design protocols for genetic modification and analysis of organisms
* conduct computer analysis of biological sequence data (bioinformatics).
What you study
For the award of the MSc you study the six taught modules listed followed by a 60-credit in-depth project.
How you learn
The course is delivered using a series of lectures, tutorials and laboratory sessions.
How you are assessed
All modules are assessed by in-course assignments.
Graduates are employed in the fields of biotechnology, biochemistry and pharmaceutical science or progress to teaching or higher degree-level study.
* Analytical Laboratory
* Analytical Methods
* Applied Biotechnology
* Environmental Biotechnology
* Practical Health and Safety Skills
* Project Management and Enterprise
* Research and Study Skills
* Laboratory or Industry Related Project
Modules offered may vary.
Applicants should normally have an honours degree (at least 2.2) in an appropriate related discipline, corporate membership of an appropriate chartered institution or an equivalent relevant qualification. Suitable areas include biology, biochemistry, chemistry or life sciences.
Postgraduate funding support
From September 2013 benefit from a 10% fees discount towards your postgraduate taught course (part-time or full-time) if you:
* are a continuing Teesside University student progressing from an undergraduate to postgraduate course or
* have graduated from an undergraduate course at Teesside University within the last two years (2011-12) or
* graduated with first-class honours from an undergraduate course at any other university within the last two years (2011-12)
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.