The majority of our students apply for and are successful in receiving national, provincial, and university awards and scholarships during their training programs.
Many of our graduates have the research skills and abilities to succeed in independent scientific careers in academic and non-academic settings. As a result, our graduates have been successful in obtaining postdoctoral positions leading to faculty positions at leading universities in Canada and abroad.
You can apply until:
Always verify the dates on the programme website.
You only need to take one of these language tests:
The IELTS – or the International English Language Test System – tests your English-language abilities (writing, listening, speaking, and reading) on a scale of 1.00–9.00. The minimum IELTS score requirement refers to which Overall Band Score you received, which is your combined average score. Read more about IELTS.Take IELTS test
The TOEFL – or Test OF English as a Foreign Language – offers a paper-based test (PBT). The final, overall PBT score ranges between 310 and 677, and is based on an average taken from the three test components (listening, structure, and reading). The writing part of this test is scored separately on a scale of 0-6. Read more about TOEFL (PBT).
The TOEFL – or Test Of English as a Foreign Language – offers an internet-based test (iBT). The final, overall iBT score ranges between 0 and 120, and includes a scaled average from the four components (reading, listening, speaking, and writing). Read more about TOEFL (iBT).
In order to be considered for the program, applicants must fulfil the following requirements:
1. A four-year baccalaureate degree or an equivalent degree from a recognized institutionYou must have a minimum grade point average equivalent to 3.0 on a 4.0 point system over the past two years of full-time study. Some graduate programs require a higher grade point average for admission. The degree must include appropriate course content for the graduate program applied for and adequate senior level courses to ensure preparation for graduate work. Any previous graduate work is also considered.
If you received your degree from a university outside Canada, please refer to the country specific degree requirements.
2. English Language ProficiencyIf your primary language is not English you will be required to fulfil the English language proficiency requirement. This may be proven with your scores from an IELTS or TOEFL (internet/written) or if the applicant has successfully completed the Tier 3 of the International Foundations Program (for the latter option, please confirm with the Graduate Program Administrator).
3. Endorsement from the Head of the Graduate ProgramIt is the responsibility of the department or graduate program to ensure that you are, in all relevant respects, acceptable to the program and that your proposed program is aligned with the availability of resources for adequate supervision and research, with departmental research objectives, and with program balance, as appropriate.
There is no general right of admission to graduate programs. Each graduate program determines whether to recommend the admission of a particular applicant to the Faculty of Graduate Studies based on departmental considerations.
4. Program Specific Requirements
a) a minimum admission grade point average of 3.30 (on the University of Calgary four-point system; equivalent to a "B+") based on the last two years of the undergraduate degree consisting of a minimum of 60 units (10 full-course equivalents).
b) Two reference letters and reference forms.
c) For admission to the Master of Science program with a specialization in surgery, prior admission to the surgery residency program is required. Students will normally apply to the Master of Science program in the third year of the surgery residency program. For admission to the Surgeon Scientist Program prior admission to the Medical Science Graduate Program is required.
* Fees are shown in Canadian Dollars
StudyPortals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Testimonial Registration Module
Together with the ISIC Association and British Council IELTS, StudyPortals offers you the chance to receive up to £10000 to expand your horizon and study abroad. We want to ultimately encourage you to study abroad in order to experience and explore new countries, cultures and languages.