Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
|Application deadline:||June 30|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2013|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
The MA in International and Comparative Commercial Law allows students to learn about commercial law and its application in the globalised world. The courses available cover a broad range of geographical and legal areas, including comparative law, economic approaches to law, law and globalisation, banking and finance, Islamic, Chinese and Middle Eastern law, labour law, copyright, trade law, fraud, multinational enterprises and the WTO.
All SOAS courses are designed not only to introduce students to the general fields of law, but also to provide an understanding of how generic legal structures and processes may operate in non-Western social and cultural settings. All teachers on courses offered at SOAS are experts in their designated field. Many have years of experience advising governments, international organisations or non-governmental organisation, and many also have been or continue to be legal practitioners.
Please note that all MA students need to take a two week Law and Legal Methods Pre-sessional Course before the teaching term begins.
Students are required to take three taught courses and a dissertation as follows:
* * At least two courses from the list below
* The third option may be chosen from the General List, or can be from the list below
* Dissertation (10,000 words), on a topic related to the specialism of the degree (15PLAC999)
* Banking law - 15PLAC105 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Chinese commercial law - 15PLAC106 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Economic approaches to law - 15PLAH030 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* Foundations of Comparative Law - 15PLAH031 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* International and comparative copyright law: copyright in the global village - 15PLAC115 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* International and comparative corporate law - 15PLAC116 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* International Economic Law - 15PLAH033 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* International Labour Law and Equality Rights - 15PLAC169 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Law of international finance - 15PLAC135 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Law of Islamic finance - 15PLAC159 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Law of the creative cultural industries in the Middle East and North Africa - 15PLAC161 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Multinational enterprises and the law - 15PLAC140 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Upper second class honours preferably in a related discipline.
English language requirements
In order to ensure that SOAS students have a sufficient standard of English to study effectively, we require overseas students to submit evidence, during the application process, of their current level of proficiency.
Score for Unconditional Entry
* IELTS: Overall 7+ with at least 7 in all sub scores
* TOEFL: iBT105+ with at least 25 in all sub scores
* Pearson Test of English - Academic: Score of 75 or above with at least 70 in all sub scores
|TOEFL internet-based test score:||105|
Scholarships and Bursaries
There are some scholarships and bursaries available for postgraduate students. These are very competitive and early application is advised.
· The Ahmad Mustafa Abu-Hakima Bursary (programme must include studying the history of the modern Arab world)
· AKS Postgraduate Bursary (in Korean Studies)
· Bernard Buckman Scholarship (MA Chinese Studies, for UK/EU fee paying students)
· The Canon Collins Scholarships at SOAS. There are two scholarships available available in 2013-14 for study at SOAS. These scholarships are for Masters study in any subject field. Open a national of and resident in one of the following countries:
Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe. The application process normally opens in December and closes in February, for study commencing in September the following year. Please go to the Canon Collins website and click "Apply for A Scholarship" and then "Canon Collins Scholarship for Masters Study in the UK" for further information on how to apply.
· Commonwealth Shared Scholarship (for students from African Commonwealth countries)
· D.G.Hall Scholarship (Taught Masters programmes at SOAS, for applicants holding a Burma/Myanmar passport)
· Felix Scholarships (for Indian students)
· Ferguson Scholarships (for African nationals from an African Country)
· HSBC SOAS Scholarships (MA Sinology & MA Chinese Literature, for UK/EU fee paying students)
· Kamran Djam Scholarships (MA Iranian Studies)
· Professor Stuart Wilson Scholarship (MA South East Asian Studies)
· Standard Chartered Scholarships (for a range of full-time Taught Masters programmes. The programmes relate to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East/NorthAfrica)
· Tibawi Trust Awards (for Palestinian students currently enrolled in a programme at SOAS)
· SOAS Master's Scholarships - Faculty of Arts & Humanities - (for any full-time taught masters programme in the Faculty of Arts & Humanities)
· SOAS Master's Scholarships - Faculty of Language & Cultures (for the full-time MA Gender Studies, MA Postcolonial Studies, MA Linguistics, MA Applied Linguistics & Language Pedagogy, MA Language, Documentation and Description, MA Translation Theory and Practice (Asian and African Languages)
· SOAS Master's Scholarships- Faculty of Law and Social Sciences (for any full-time master's programmes in the Department of Development Studies, Economics, Law, Politics & International Studies and Financial & Management Studies)
· Tallow Chandlers and M. W Beer scholarship (MA) (MA Anthropology of Food, for UK/EU fee paying students)
· William Ross Murray Scholarship (LLM, for students from a developing country)
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.