|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||October 2015|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This program in English reflects a scientifically and technologically broad field (Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Medicine and Physics). You will attend lectures and undertake lab research projects on processing techniques and design procedures of new materials, their structures and patterning which are often manufactured with conventional or unconventional lithography technology. Development of new functions is emphasised in material assessment by nanoscale engineering. This program thus falls into the globally dynamic area of nanotechnology with its typically interdisciplinary character.
This course is based on a solid scientific training with courses in physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, biology and medicine. Knowledge and skills are provided for the options of nano or biomaterials.
Aims of the ProgramThis course is research-oriented and geared to practical application. Gradu-ates are therefore well-prepared for both an industrial career and further academic studies (PhD). Tuition includes instruction from physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, biology and medicine. Specialised knowledge is gained in electives and finally the ability to produce independent original academic research is acquired from writing a masters thesis.
During your studies you will learn to work in interdisciplinary teams. You will also develop the ability to analyse complex interrelationships with the aim of strengthening your creativity and innovative capacity.
Professional PerspectivesAn MSc in Advanced Materials gives graduates the skills to work independently in various research and applied areas of science. The main fields could be for instance research in physics, chemistry or material sciences, the semiconductor industry or the analysis of modern materials. Examples of applications could be sensor technology, surface science and engineering, catalysis or medicine.
Study-abroad periodA variety of partner universities in the United States and Europe are available for study-abroad segments with full credit transfer into program in Ulm.
Ulm University - Where Innovation is a TraditionUlm University has from its beginnings been at the forefront of innovation in higher education, noted by such achievements as the first Mathematics in Economics and Physics in Economics programs in Germany, or new forms of fostering industrial-academic cooperation through establishment of the highly successful Science Park. The International Masters Program in Advanced Materials (started in 2002) offering both Nanomaterials and Biomaterials, was created in this spirit.
Global opportunities at a young, research-oriented universitySince the 2002/2003 winter semester, Ulm University's Schools of Science, Engineering Sciences and Medicine have offered a new graduate program in Advanced Materials, bringing together qualified students from Germany and abroad. The curriculum is augmented by intensive language courses and intercultural exchange.
Advanced Materials Materials for the FutureAdvanced Materials, comprising of Nanomaterials and Biomaterials, involves the design and optimization of materials, achieving new functions and enhance performance. The potential benefits of advanced materials are both pervasive and revolutionary. Nanomaterials and biomaterials influence almost every aspect of our lives. Some of the most dramatic changes are expected in the realms of medicine.
The International Master of Science Program Advanced Materials at the University of Ulm is an interdisciplinary course of studies with emphasis on nanomaterials or biomaterials. It will prepare you well to play an active role in shaping advanced materials in future. It combines the core focus with the necessary foundations in materials science, chemistry, physics, engineering sciences, biology and medicine.
The University of Ulm's graduate Program in Advanced Materials is uniquely designed to meet these demands. In one of Germany's youngest Universities, the program offers thorough scientific and technical training enhanced by well-funded, challenging research opportunities.
CurriculumThe degree course scheme provides a survey of courses and workload during the four semesters of the MSc program "Advanced Materials".
Module/Course-DescriptionsCourses are combined in modules. Module descriptions comprise syllabus, learning objectives, a reading list, information on teaching and learning methods, workloadand assessment for the constituent courses.
(Study and Examination Regulation 2010, PO 2010)
1. Module: Physics
* Solid State Physics (5 CP, PHYS 8107, exam 11941)
* Physics Laboratory (4 CP, PHYS 8707, exam 10973)
* Introductory Chemistry (3 CP, 8528, exam )
* Physical Chemistry (4 CP, CHEM 8588, exam 10875)
* Materials Chemistry (4 CP)
* Materials Science I (5 CP, ENGI 7006, exam 10869)
* Laboratory Materials Science I (5 CP, ENGI 7008, exam 10945)
* Materials Science II (5 CP, ENGI 8007, exam 10948)
* Laboratory Materials Science II (5 CP, ENGI 8009, exam 10946)
* Electrical Engineering (5 CP, ENGF 7013, exam 11934)
* Advanced Physics of Materials (4 CP, PHYS 8237, exam 10914)
* Computational Methods in Materials Science
* (4 CP, ENGI 8014, exam 10500)
* Functional Properties of Nanomaterials (3 CP, PHYS 8387, exam 11331)
* Micro- and Nanotechnology (4 CP, ENGF 7011, exam 11330)
* Principles of Structure Formation in Nanomaterials
* (3 CP, CHEM 8577, exam 11936)
* Polymeric Materials (3 CP, CHEM 6820/6821, exam 12033)
* Biology and Cell Biology (5 CP, PHYS 8127, exam 11942)
* Biomaterials I (5 CP, MED ex01, exam 11937)
* Biomaterials II (3 CP, MED, exam 11938)
* Excursion: Commercial Production of Biomaterials (2 CP, exam 11943)
* Laboratory Biomaterials (3 CP, exam 11939)
* Basics of Scanning Electron Microscopy (2 CP, PHYS 8257, exam )
* Cleanroom Techniques in Nanoscience (3 CP, PHYS 8247, exam 12473)
* Cell Interaction with Biomaterials and Imaging Techniques
* (2 CP, PHYS 8357, exam 10942)
* Colloids (2 CP, CHEM 8610, exam 10943)
* Compound Semiconductors (6 CP, ENGF 8014, exam 10944)
* Mechanics of Cancer and Soft Materials (2 CP, PHYS 8137, exam 12426)
* Mechanics of Materials (3 CP, ENGI 8016, exam 10950)
* Micro- and Nanostructured Optics (2 CP, PHYS 8367, exam 11273)
* Semiconductor Sensors (5 CP, ENGB 8021, exam 10488)
* Basics of Transmission Electron Microscopy (2 CP, PHYS 8347, exam 11268)
* Biophysics (5 CP, PHYS 5107, exam 12745)
* Biosensors (3 CP, ENGB 8020, exam 11269)
* Cell Mechanics and Interaction with Biomaterials (2 CP, PHYS 8357, exam 11270)
* Exploring the Nanoworld with X-Rays & High Energy Electrons
* (3 CP, PHYS 8397, exam 11271)
* Innovation Management for Nanotechnology (3 CP, PHYS 8377, exam 11274)
* Laser, Laser-Matter Interactions (3 CP, ENGK 7001, exam 10493)
* Physics of Scattering (2 CP, PHYS 6317, exam)
* Polymers in Medicine (2 CP, PHYS 8307, exam 10909)
* Near-Field Optics and Plasmonics (CP, PHYS 6287, exam 11516)
* Thin Films (4 CP, ENGI 7011, exam 11272)
* Theory in Materials Science (CP, PHYS 8337, exam)
* Theory of Polymers (CP, PHYS 8407, exam 11978)
* German Language Course I (3 CP, exam 60219)
* German Language Course II (3 CP, exam 60220)
* German Language Course III (2 CP, exam 60221)
2. Module: Chemistry
3. Module: Materials Science I
4. Module: Materials Science II
5. Module: Engineering
6. Module: Nanomaterials I
7. Module: Nanomaterials II
8. Module: Biology and Cell Biology
9. Module: Biomaterials I
10. Module: Biomaterials II
11. Module: Elective Courses
Courses summer semester:
Courses winter semester:
12. Module: German Language Courses/ASQ
To be eligible for the MSc program "Advanced Materials" the following qualifications are needed:
* Bachelor degree Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Materials Science or Engineering Science.
Duration of Bachelor program: at least 3 years.
German students can also apply with a Fachhochschul- or Berufsakademiediplom in one of the above mentioned subjects.
* Good proficiency of English Proof of English skills has to be submitted in form of
either TOEFL test(Test of English as a Foreign Language), internet based (IBT), institution code 8407
Minimal score: 88
or IELTS test (International English Language Testing System)
Minimal score: 6.5
When courses at the university the Bachelor was acquired at are taught exclusively in English no English test but proof from the university is needed.
No test needed by native speakers.
Prospective students are expected to ... * be willing to acquire a basic command of the German language.
German courses are part of the curriculum.
* be willing to study/live in a challenging, multi-cultural environment.
Applicants have to provide: * Curriculum Vitae
* Statement of objectives/motivation
* Two letters of reference by university lecturers from the university the Bachelor was acquired at
* Transcript of records of all semesters/terms studied in the Bachelor program
* Information on the grading system at the university the Bachelor was acquired at
* Bachelor degree certificate
* English test score report
Evalution of applications is based on: * Bachelor program, courses attended, internships and work experience (Does it suit "Advanced Materials"?)
* Bachelor grade or current grade point average and grades of relevant courses
* Evaluation of applicant by university lecturers (reference letters)
Please note ...
* In general it is not possible to tell in advance what your chances of being admitted are.
* You can apply for the MSc program even if you haven´t yet finished your Bachelor degree or haven´t yet received the results of the English test. But you have to be aware that even if you get admitted to the program you will be allowed to enrole at Universität Ulm only if you are able to present the original documents (Bachelor degree certificate, Transcript of Records, English test score report with score meeting the requirements mentioned).
|TOEFL iBT® test:||88|
Sign in to find all related scholarships and all information about funding here.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.