Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
The two-year Master of Science (M.S.) in Telecommunications Engineering (Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria delle Telecomunicazioni) includes all the essential subjects that are usually required by ICT companies. While the three-year Bachelor in Electronics and Telecommunications is mostly focused on basic engineering topics, the purpose of the M.S. program is to create professionals able to use state-of-the-art technologiesin both industrial and research environments.
The M.S. in Telecommunications Engineering offers specializations in Multimedia Communication, Networking, Electromagnetic Technologies, Electronics and Pattern Recognition/Remote Sensing. Most classes include laboratory sessions in order to give students not only a sound theoretical background, but also practical skills. This combination allows them to find a job very quickly, sometimes even before the end of the program.
The teaching staff includes both professionals working in ICT companies andProfessors with an international background. All classes are in English and the environment is quite international. Indeed, about 20% of the students come from abroad.
The goal of the M.S. in Telecommunications Engineering is to train skilled professionals able to promote technological innovation and to manage it at different levels. In general, a telecommunication engineer is able to work as a technician on different kind of systems and infrastructures for data acquisition, processing, and communication applications. Additionally, M.S. graduates have better management skills, and a more complete technical background, which is essential in applications involving cutting-edge technologies. From a methodological point of view, the M.S. graduates will gain a complete understanding about the most recent technologies, tools, systems and infrastructures in one or more areas of specialization.
The Master of Science Degree in Telecommunications Engineering is one of the qualifications offering the largest amount of job opportunities, both in Italy and abroad. In recent years, a great interest in information technologies has been growing also in public institutions or private companies dealing with constructions, environment and the territory management, food and agriculture.
M.S. graduates are expected to work in different areas including (but not limited to) electronic system design, telecommunication equipment design, manufacturing, and testing, network and telecommunication services, marketing and management. Career opportunities are in ICT production or service-oriented companies, as well as in public administration institutions.
The Master of Science Program in Telecommunications Engineeringincludes both compulsory and elective classes. The compulsory courses provide students with the essential know-how about electronics, communication topics and computer science. The elective courses are grouped into the following five areas:
* Multimedia communications: this specialization is focused on basic and advanced techniques for elaboration and transmission of images and video, sound and voice signals processing, man-machine interfacing, distributed information.
* Networking: this area covers wired and wireless networking design topics such as topologies, protocols, performance analysis, Quality of Service (QoS), security.
* Electromagnetic Technologies: this specialisation covers topics such as electromagnetic diagnostic techniques, electromagnetic field propagation and analysis, antennas and microwave system design, electromagnetic compatibility and electro-smog issues.
* Electronics: this area is focused on the design of embedded systems for data acquisition and pervasive computing, Microsystems and MEMS design, VLSI technologies, semiconductor device physics, measurement and testing techniques for telecommunications.
* Pattern Recognition and Remote Sensing: this specialization deals with pattern recognition methodologies (feature extraction and selection, multidimensional signal and image classification, machine learning, etc.) and remote sensing techniques (design of automatic systems for the analysis of remote sensing data, image processing techniques, data fusion) as well as with their applications.
Student education is completed through laboratory experiences, elements of business administration, seminaries, a possible internship and a final project.
* Communication Systems (12 crediti)
* Digital Signal Processing (6 crediti)
* Economics and Management (6 crediti)
* Embedded Electronic Systems (9 crediti)
* Wired Communications Systems and Devices (9 crediti)
* Antennas for Wireless Communications (9 crediti)
* Distributed Systems (6 crediti)
* Electronics for Telecommunications (9 crediti)
* Multimedia Networking (9 crediti)
Access to further courses
After the accomplishment of the M.S. in Telecommunications Engineering, further educational opportunities are also possible. M.S. graduates can indeed apply for a Ph.D. degree program either in Italy or abroad, such as the ICT International Doctorate School of the University of Trento, where they will have the opportunity to do research on a specific subject. Alternatively, they can enroll in one of the highly specializing, 1-year second-level Masters (e.g. on Micro- and Nano- technologies or on Human Language Technology and Interfaces) offered by the University of Trento.
For foreign students the admission to the course is subject to a selection by a committee and it is based upon a valuation of the candidate's CV, competences, abilities, motivations, references and linguistic certificates.
DISI is involved in projects aimed at three main targets:
* Frontier research
* Technology transfer
* International education of top level professional in ICT
At the same time the Department of Trento University is one of the main players in research and development of the Information and Communication Technology sector at local, Italian and European level.
The University of Trento in average supports DISI for a grand total of about 1.5 million euros (including cash, doctorate fellowships, technicians, etc.).
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.