Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
|Application deadline:||June 30|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2013|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
This new taught-Masters degree offers a deep insight into the Arab world through its literatures. It is an advanced programme designed for students with a good first degree in Arabic or with a good university degree who also know Arabic. The fundamental objective is to make Arabic culture and literature accessible to a wider body of postgraduate students and to provide them with training in the study of literature. Students develop an advanced understanding of Arabic literature and gain detailed knowledge of its past and present. The syllabus combines the literary approaches of comparative literature with in-depth study of Arabic literature. Students have the opportunity to become familiar with, among other things, literary theory, translation techniques, the sociology of literature, the social and political dimensions of modern Arabic literature, and different genres and themes of classical, medieval and modern Arabic literature.
Students take three taught courses from the lists of options below, and write a 10,000-word dissertation on an approved topic related to the student's major. The major must be an Arabic literature course chosen from either List A or List B below. Of the two other taught courses, one must be chosen from the list that does not include the major. The third can be taken from either list:
* Theory and Techniques of Comparative Literature
* Social and Political Dimensions in Modern Arabic Literature
* Arabic/English/Arabic translation
* A Modern Arabic Literary Genre: Themes and Techniques (not available 2010-11)
* Arabic Poetry and Criticism
* Arabic Popular Literature: Themes, Genres and Theory
* Modern Palestinian Literature
* Classical Arabic Prose Literature and Adab (NOT RUNNING 2010-11)
* Reading Classical Arabic Historians: Themes and Trends in Islamic Historiography
Minimum Entry Requirements: First or upper second-class honours degree or overseas equivalent in Arabic or another relevant subject with good knowledge of Arabic
Interview Policy: Interviews by arrangement
English language requirements
In order to ensure that SOAS students have a sufficient standard of English to study effectively, we require overseas students to submit evidence, during the application process, of their current level of proficiency.
Score for Unconditional Entry
* IELTS: Overall 7+ with at least 7 in all sub scores
* TOEFL: iBT105+ with at least 25 in all sub scores
* Pearson Test of English - Academic: Score of 75 or above with at least 70 in all sub scores
|TOEFL internet-based test score:||105|
Scholarships and Bursaries
There are some scholarships and bursaries available for postgraduate students. These are very competitive and early application is advised.
Another way to fund your studies is through educational loans. Some high street banks offer loans for education. The other option is a career development loan. Before taking out a loan ensure that you understand what the repayments will be and that you will be able to afford them.
Professional and Career Development Loans
A Professional and Career Development Loan is a bank loan for UK students designed to help you pay for your course. Repayments start one month after you complete your course. You can borrow between £300 and £8,000. The bank will approve your loan according to your credit rating.
US Federal Loans
Eligible US students can apply for Stafford Federal Loans, Federal Plus and private loans to cover their tuition and maintenance costs.
The Registry Fees and Scholarship section can also certify student registration for other loans, such as Canadian educational loans.
* Registry Fees Section if you have any queries on educational loans or fees for degree courses.
* Noel Connaughton for fees information for occasional courses, certificates and diplomas.
* CEFIMS for fees information for distance learning courses.
Other Sources of Funding
Useful funding information can also be found at:
* Hotcourses Scholarship Search
* HERO funding information for research students
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.