M.Sc. LSE-Sciences Po Double Degree in Urban Policy

London School of Economics and Political Science

Application deadline: March 31
Tuition fee: Not specified
Start date: September  2015
Credits (ECTS): 120 ECTS
Duration full-time: 23 months
Partnership: Joint
  • English
  • French
Delivery mode: On Campus
Educational variant: Full-time

Show more

Your Details
Thank You

Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!

Please enter your full name.

Something went wrong. Please try again here.

Confirmation e-mail address does not match.

Confirmation e-mail address does not match.

An account with this e-mail already exists. Please log in here.

Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here


Thank you! Please check your e-mail to activate your account. Once your membership account is activated, you can find all information here.

You can also find alternative Masters here



Sciences Po and LSE have come together to offer outstanding undergraduate students a distinctive dual degree devoted to urban management and policy, the Double Masters in Urban Policy, combining the strengths of two leading international centres of research in city development and urban governance.

This programme is based on the mutual recognition of curricula and evaluation in the partner university; it offers a top-level education in the area of urban studies to participating students, giving them the opportunity to develop a career focused on local and urban policy, in the private, public or international sectors at the highest level.

This programme is academically supervised by Professor Ian Gordon, Geography and Environment Department, LSE, and Patrick Le Galès, senior researcher at CNRS - CEVIPOF, professor at Sciences Po.

Providing all course requirements have been met, students will graduate with both a Master from Sciences Po in Strategies Territoriales et Urbaines , and an MSc from LSE in Urban Policy.


The double degree lasts two academic years: the first year is spent at Sciences Po, in the Master en Stratégies Territoriales et Urbaines; the second year is spent within the Department of Geography and Environment at LSE, following one of three MSc programmes, in Local Economic Development, Regional and Urban Planning Studies, or Urbanisation and Development.

Spanning a wide range of disciplines, including public management, economic development, urbanisation, project management, urban social analysis, and planning, this selective bilingual (French and English) programme will enable participating students to develop an understanding of the political, economic and social issues raised by contemporary urbanisation, at local and international level, with a curriculum focused on the analytic tools used in the field of urban policy.

At the end of two years of successful study, students will be awarded both a Master from Sciences Po in Stratégies Territoriales et Urbaines, and an MSc from LSE in Urban Policy.

Year 1: Sciences Po
At Sciences Po, the academic year runs from early October to the end of June. It is divided into two semesters, each of which is 14 weeks long.
Social Science, Political Issues or World Politics (10 credits)
Urban Specialisations (30 credits)
Study Visit and Collective Project (10 credits)
Languages (French/English and a second foreign language (10 credits))

Year 2: LSE
The second year runs from October until September of the following year. It comprises three terms and the summer period for completion of a dissertation. Students will enrol in either the MSc in Regional and Urban Planning Studies or the MSc Local Economic Development or the MSc Urbanisation and Development.


Minimum entry requirement: 2:1 in any discipline

Applicants must demonstrate competence in both English and French.

Students whose native language is not English must have either:

* TOEFL: minimum score of 627 (paper test) or 107 (internet based test)
* IELTS: minimum score of 7
* A recognised university degree with at least three years of study with English as a main subject

The following applies for applicants to demonstrate their competence in French:

* The Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF)
* The Diplôme d'études en langue française (DALF)

No other tests will be accepted.


* Applicants holding the International Baccalaureate (IB) with French as the language of eduction (levels A1/A2 only).
* Applicants who have done their high school education in French (for example in French Lycées outside of France). In this case you need to provide your high school diploma.
* Applicants who have completed an exchange programme with Sciences Po before and who were enrolled in French language classes at least at levels 4 or 5.
* A recognised university degree with at least two years of study at a Francophone University. You will need to provide the diploma which proves that your language of instruction was French. Please note, this does not apply to students who have obtained a diploma in French language or French studies at universities in non French speaking countries.

Students whose native language is neither English nor French must provide proof of ability in both languages as above.

English Language Requirements

IELTS band: 7
CAE score: (read more)

Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.

200 (Grade A)
TOEFL paper-based test score : 627
TOEFL iBT® test: 107

IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.

The IELTS test is most widely accepted by universities and is also accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK- learn more.


    There are more scholarships available for this study programme

    to find more related scholarships for this programme.
    Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.

    Create a free account now!

    • Save and compare your favourite study programmes
    • Apply for the
      € 1000 scholarship
      awarded by StudyPortals each three months
    • Receive personal updates helping you to find the right study programme for you
    Sign up for free or log in

    We are helping thousands of students to find a university abroad!

    Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
    Shivprasad - India

    Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.

    We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!

    Welcome to StudyPortals chat
    Thank you
    Thank you for your question. We will get back to you soon! The reply will be sent to your account which you can activate via the e-mail you just received. Find more study programmes