|Application deadline:||31 August|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||90 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This is a one-year full-time or two-year part-time postgraduate course designed to provide graduate engineers with advanced knowledge in various aspects of Civil Engineering. The main areas covered in this course are: Environmental Engineering and Transportation Engineering, with some Structural Engineering modules introduced this year.
The MSc course can be undertaken as either a one year full-time or a two-year part-time postgraduate course.
The degree programme is divided into three parts: two semesters of taught courses (September - April inclusive) with an average of 12 lectures per week. A major dissertation is undertaken during the second half of the course (April - September inclusive).
It is possible to work full-time and do the course as a part-time option, providing you have the agreement of your employer. In fact about half of our students are registered as part-time students. Each module is 3 hours per week. The project can be started at any time during the two years but the Department advises an early start.
Some modules may not be presented in any one year, depending on demand. On occasions, additional modules are offered. This year, additional modules in Structural Engineering will be offered, but these options are subject to demand. Each student must also select a topic for her/his dissertation early in the year and is expected to work on it full-time between April and September.
In the first semester, candidates pursuing the course full-time must take modules A1 and A2 along with four other modules selected from the options below:
* A1. Civil Engineering Management (compulsory) - 10 ECTS
* A2. Dissertation Phase 1_Research Methods (compulsory) - 10 ECTS
Optional modules are:
* B1. Geotechnical Engineering - 5 ECTS
* B3. Introduction to Transportation Engineering - 5 ECTS
* B4. Engineering Hydrology - 5 ECTS
* B5. Introduction to Environmental Analysis - 5 ECTS
* B6. Environmental Engineering - 5 ECTS
* B7. Transport Modelling - 5 ECTS
* B8. Advanced Structural Analysis - 5 ECTS
* B9. Structural Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering - 5 ECTS
* B10. Renewable Energy 1 - 5 ECTS
In the second semester, candidates pursuing the course full time must take module A3 along with four other modules selected from the options below:
* A3. Dissertation Phase 2 (compulsory) - 30 ECTS
* C1. Highway Engineering - 5 ECTS
* C2. Applied Transportation Analysis - 5 ECTS
* C3. Bridge Engineering- 5 ECTS
* C4. Renewable Energy - 5 ECTS
* C5. Waste and Environmental Management - 5 ECTS
* C6. Water Quality and Hydrological Modelling - 5 ECTS
* C7. Water Resource Planning - 5 ECTS
* C8. Modelling of Civil Engineering Systems - 5 ECTS
* C9. Advanced Concrete Technology - 5 ECTS
* C10. Soil-Structure Interaction - 5 ECTS
* C11. Structural Optimisation - 5 ECTS
You must take the following to complete the MSc in Civil Engineering:
* A1 Civil Engineering Management = 10 ECTS
* A2 Research Methods = 10 ECTS
* A3 Dissertation = 30 ECTS
* Four module options in first semester = 4x5 = 20 ECTS. Four module options in second semester = 4x5 = 20 ECTS. Total ECTS = 90 ECTS
The entry criteria are an upper second honours degree (or equivalent) in an engineering or related degree - although we also take relevant industrial experience into account.
English language requirements:
* IELTS: Grade 6.5
* TOEFL: 88 iBT, 230-computer based, 570 paper based
* Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English: Grade C
* Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: Grade C
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|80 (Grade A)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||570|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||88|