|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Our highly successful MA Translation Studies attracts a wide range of well-qualified international and home students each year. It offers core training in the theory and practice of translation before allowing them to specialise in specific pathways as they choose from our broad range of optional modules. On our course, students work with academic staff, professional translators and employers. They can work between any language pairing on a programme designed to comply with the European Masters in Translation guidelines produced by the European Commissions Directorate General for Translation. Our graduates from the MA Translation Studies have gone on to a variety of successful careers: further study in the form of a PhD, working as an in-house translator for a large corporation, working as a free-lance translator, working for government agencies and working for international institutions such as the United Nations World Health Organization.
Specifically, the programme aims to:
* Facilitate a full understanding of the development of the discipline of Translation Studies and of the practical translation market, and allow the pursuit of specialist or vocational interests within a general framework common to all students on the programme;
* Acquaint students with the main theoretical issues in Translation Studies, and demonstrate how they have a bearing on students specialist area of study, be that the practical translation of literary, legal, medical or administrative texts, or the academic study of translation e.g. its theory and history, or the complex, cultural transactions it involves;
* Develop a clear awareness of the problems of understanding and interpretation raised by the practice of translation through analysis of key texts in Translation Studies;
* Promote the development of analytical, practical, evaluative, aesthetic and expository skills that will serve to address these problems in both applied and theoretical contexts;
* Encourage the development of research skills specifically related to the students specialist area of interest in order, as appropriate, to prepare the theoretical and methodological groundwork for a dissertation or for an annotated translation project;
* Foster skills in the balanced interpretation of the cultural and linguistic contexts for the practice of translation, in order to enable a solid grasp of the practical implications of political and cultural arguments in the context of Translation Studies;
* Explore and promote the development of effective strategies for managing complex linguistic and cultural transactions.
The programme offers a balanced combination of theory and practice modules.
Part one consists of two compulsory modules:
* Theory of Translation
* Translation Methods and Skills
The following optional modules are available:
* Specialised Translation modules: Literary translation, Politics and Law, Business and Administration, Scientific and Technical Translation, Medical and Pharmaceutical Translation, Subtitling
* Translation of Minority Languages
* Translation and European Cultures
* Translation and Adaptation in the Arts
* A Training Placement module
Part two of the course requires either a research-based dissertation of 20,000 words or an annotated translation project comprising a translation of approximately 8,000 words in the source text and 12,000 words of reflective commentary.
Candidates should possess or expect to obtain a relevant undergraduate languages degree at a minimum of upper second class honours (2:1) level. It is particularly suitable for graduates in language, translation studies, literature and disciplines broadly conceived to have a humanities focus.
Applicants with alternative undergraduate degree backgrounds will be given the opportunity to demonstrate that they possess the appropriate linguistic skills and competences for the programme in the context of the written language test and interview.
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|193 (Grade B)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||600|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.
With over 1400 students and 80 academic staff, we offer a friendly, diverse environment, and personal tutors ensure support throughout a degree course. Regular events, lectures and organised activities provide a lively atmosphere and students are encouraged to get involved.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!