|Application deadline:||any time|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||April 2015, October 2015|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
|Duration part-time:||24 months|
|Student interaction:||Online group works/assignments|
|Teacher support:||Continuous support with feedback on request|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The course is designed to take students with a wide variety of first degrees.
The programme consists of a mixture of core and optional lecture courses, interspersed with practical exercises and work experience. For MSc candidates, this is followed by an extended external project. Additionally, students working on the full time course will get an opportunity to take part in the apprenticeship scheme.
MSc in Business Analysis & Consulting aims to realise the potential of graduates, so that they immediately play an effective role in providing model-based support to managers to help them make better decisions at a strategic level. Students will develop a rigorous academic understanding of key quantitative business analysis methods in addition to being introduced to models used to support the development of strategy for organisations and enable the monitoring and measurement of strategic processes. Key consulting skills will also be developed in order to effectively support management at a strategic level.
A brief explanation of what Business Analysis and Consulting is.
Life has probably never been tougher for managers in public and private sector organisations alike. The pressures are on to improve efficiency, deliver better quality services and products, reduce costs, improve competitiveness, assess and manage risks, deliver projects on time, measure and improve performance, balancing demands and pressures from different stakeholders. The decisions just get tougher. Organisations these days need people who can bring a structured, analytical and rigorous approach to decision making. And thats where the Organisations worldwide are looking to gain a sustainable competitive edge in an increasingly difficult environment. The smarter organisations are using business analysis to make better decisions and deliver business performance and improvement. That means more than just collecting and routinely processing large amounts of business data. It means applying sophisticated quantitative techniques to help with decisions, particularly at the strategic levels. Companies like British Airways, BT, Dell, FedEx, Samsung see business analysis as key to competitiveness. And in the public sector business and policy analysts are key to delivering efficient and effective services across local government, health, housing, police, and central government. And all these organisations need people not just with business analysis skills but also with effective consultancy skills.
This includes five core modules and one optional module all of which can be completed fully online.
Five core classes:
* Foundations of OR & Business Analysis
* Quantitative Business Analysis
* Managing Business Operations
* Spreadsheet modelling & demand forecasting
* Strategy modelling and management
One optional class chosen from:
* Business Simulation Methods
* Risk Analysis & Management
* Business Information Systems
* Performance Measurement & Management
You are expected to have a second class (2.2 or above) Honours degree or equivalent, have evidence of proficient command of English (for more details, please refer to question 4), and provide two reference letters (at least one of them should be academic). You are also recommended to write a brief personal statement about your background and why you would like to study in our MSc programme(s).
The Business Analysis and Consulting (BAC) course is designed to take students with a wide variety of first degrees. Many students have first degrees in business, economics, engineering and the social sciences. However, we encourage applications from other backgrounds as well.
In comparison the Operational Research (OR) course has more quantitative elements. Most students have first degrees in mathematics, natural sciences, economics, or engineering. However, we encourage applications from other backgrounds as well.
|TOEFL iBT® test:||95|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.
No work experience is required.
The final decision as to what is "appropriate employment" remains with the University of Strathclyde. However, if your employment covers all of the following, you are likely to be in the correct type of post:
* solving problems owned by someone else
* ill-defined problems
* working in teams
* the opportunity to use a variety of Business Analysis techniques
* your work has an influence on the operation of your organisations
* British Federation of Women Graduates
* Campbell Burns Research Studentships
* Canadian Centennial Scholarship Fund
* Carnegie-Cameron Taught Postgraduate Bursary
* Carnegie/Caledonian Scholarships (Research)
* Chevening Scholarships
* Commonwealth Scholarships to Developed Commonwealth Countries
* Commonwealth Shared Scholarship (formerly DFID Shared Scholarship)
* Fulbright Strathclyde Research Scholarships
* Glasgow Educational and Marshall Trust
* Henry Dryerre Scholarship in Medical/Veterinary Physiology
* The Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust
* Mac Robertson Travelling Scholarship
* Pakistan 50th Anniversary Fund
* Palestinian Student Scholarship Scheme
* Renfrewshire Educational Trust One-Year Postgraduate Award
* Scotland's Saltire Scholarships
* Scottish Universities Physics Alliance (SUPA) Prize Studentships
* The Caledonian Research Foundation
* Trinidad and Tobago Commonwealth Scholarships
* University of Strathclyde Research Scholarships
* Whitworth Scholarships
* Yorkhill Children's Charity PhD Studentship
The Department of Management Science has been Rated Excellent in the Teaching and Quality Assessments. The Strathclyde University Business School has achieved EQUIS and AACSB International accreditation, making it one of only 27 business schools world-wide to have achieved recognition from the two leading accreditation bodies for business schools.