|Application deadline:||any time|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
|Duration part-time:||24 months|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The MLitt in English Literary Studies is primarily intended to provide a basis for undertaking research in English literature including the literature of Scotland and Ireland. Research 'training' involves the acquisition of practical skills and knowledge, and of specialised knowledge and understanding of literary periods and literary issues which will be directly relevant to each candidate's proposed field of research.
Students can take this degree as a stand-alone one-year or two-year part-time Masters degree (but immigration regulations prevent an overseas student from outside the European Union from studying part-time), or as a first step towards an MPhil or PhD (subject to admission to a further degree programme either at Aberdeen or elsewhere). Hence, it is likely to appeal to those who wish to create a solid foundation on which to build a PhD research proposal, those who wish to teach literature, and those who wish to study literature at a postgraduate level to further their interest in culture and life-long learning.
For further information, please contact:
Dr Alison Lumsden
School of Language & Literature
Tel: +44 (0)1224 273925
Each candidate's curriculum is personalised, so that the courses undertaken provide everyone with a programme that fits their interests and their needs. The courses centre on the four areas of the Department's research: Renaissance literature; Enlightenment, Romantic, and Victorian literature; Modern and Contemporary literature; Scottish and Irish literature. A wide range of courses is on offer from members of the Department. They include: training in theory and methods of research, plus a large variety of options covering both different periods and genres. However, please note that not all courses are available every year. A particular feature is the compulsory 'Dissertation Preparation' course, which is in part a one-to-one course in which the student explores his or her own research area with an expert in the field. The MLitt is designed to take advantage of the broad range of expertise and specialisms of the literature staff.
Assessment methods vary by individual course, and include essays, reports, presentations, written exercises and written and oral examinations. The MLitt also requires a 15,000 word dissertation, while the diploma consists of coursework alone.
10 Reasons to Choose Aberdeen * The academic strength you would expect from a 500 year old university yet right at the forefront for careers in the 21st centuryA thriving, cosmopolitan community with students from 120 countries set within a beautiful, historic campus that has seen four Nobel Prizes being awarded for work carried out, or begun at the University.
* Degrees which are recognised and respected worldwideUnique programme options with professional accreditation, industrial placements, plus the opportunity to study abroad in Europe, North America, Hong Kong, Japan or Korea.
* Choice and flexibilityIt's your degree and we believe it should be planned around you, with the freedom to plan your own programme of study from a wide range of options.
* A proven track record for employment, with the best head-start your career can getOur experience and connections can help secure that all-important first step on the ladder to a successful career. 93% of our students enter directly into good jobs, research posts or further study within six months of graduating.
* Opportunities to develop yourself and your interestsNot only academic qualifications to rival the best, but also personal, communication and teamwork skills to make you an all-round achiever in whatever you choose to do. We boast over 150 clubs and societies for students to join and offer excellent on-campus sports facilities.
* The very best learning resourcesWe pride ourselves on providing state-of-the-art learning resources for our students. Computing and library facilities are geared towards your needs and we are especially proud of our exceptional museums and special collections.
* A supportive communityA self-contained friendly campus in a friendly city; we will do everything we can to help you quickly feel at home. Our support services rank with the best in the UK and we aim to make sure, right from the start, that you have access to any guidance you might need.
* First-class accommodationAll new students are guaranteed a place in student accommodation, either on the campus or close by so no need to set the alarm too early!
* A buzzing, friendly city that has it allAberdeen is everything a student city should be and more! Historic, international, fashionable and friendly, Aberdeen is the perfect place to live and study. Aberdeen has also been voted the best place to be a student in the UK by a leading accommodation website.
* We're on the map!Aberdeen is probably closer than you think. Cheap and regular air, rail and bus connections will get you around Scotland, the UK and further afield in no time.