Contents Fundamentals of optics and materials:
ray optics, wave optics, electromagnetic optics, guided waves, light-matter interactions, nonlinear optics, quantum optics, structure of solids, lattice dynamics, electrons in solids, semiconductor crystals)
Optical devices and systems: lens design & instruments, metrology, optical sensors, optical communication subsystems, laser devices, laser systems, opto-electronics devices, optical modelling and design
Imaging: imaging systems, statistical signal and image processing
Practical training: hands on research experience in state-of-the-art optics laboratories of the university and, in particular, in industry
New frontiers in optics:
- advanced sources (quantum dots laser, petawatt / femtosecond /megajoule lasers, quantum cascade lasers, fibre lasers, XUV),
- optical systems (3D metrology, remote sensing, advances in optical fabrication, adaptive optics, optomechanical design),
- biophotonics (fluorescence sensors, optical tweezers, laser diagnostics and surgery),
- nanophotonics (metamaterials, photonic crystals, subwavelength structures, plasmonics)
- telecommunications (optical fibers, optical active components and optical signal processing),
- ultraoptics (relativistic optics, ultarfast optics, XUV and X ray optics).
The program is divided into four stages providing the students with the necessary prerequisites in Optics, Condensed Matter Physics and Labworks in Optics (Stage I: Adjustment), to give them a solid background in important topics in Optics & Photonics as Laser Physics, Optical Metrology and Optical Design (Stage II: Fundamentals) and let them acquire specialized knowledge to be selected out of about 20 advanced courses (Stage III: Specialization) to be able to perform a nine-month research project on a current topic of research competently (Stage IV: Research Labworks and Masters Thesis). In addition, an 8-week industrial internship is scheduled after the second semester. The study will be complemented by language courses as well as ASP training courses provided by internationally renowned guest professors.