Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This specialization aims to train research and development experts in the largely integrative disciplines of cellular biology, developmental biology and stem cell biology, who will be capable of grasping the major issues in contemporary biology. The specialization is strongly related to biochemistry, genetics and immunology and uses their respective technologies.
Student acquire an overall vision of the fundamental mechanisms of living things and a solid base, both theoretical and practical, in cellular biology (structural and functional organization of cells, intercellular traffic, regulation and deregulation of the cellular cycle, communication and signaling mechanisms, cellular imaging techniques), in developmental biology(molecular and cellular mechanisms of embryonic development, development -ageing-carcinogenesis, environmental effects on development), and in stem cell biology (embryonic and adult stem cells, niche concepts, cancerous stem cells and regenerative medicine, ethical and legal issues).
The specialization also offers a specific training course in relation to biotechnology companies (Research and Development in Biotechnology) including several teaching programs necessary for employment in a company (knowledge of company professions, "people" training and technological training).
* Have a thorough knowledge of biology in general and specialized knowledge in certain disciplinary fields
* Master the basic techniques and the equipment used in molecular biology, biochemistry and cellular biology
* know how to set up and carry out experiments
* Management and mastery of bibliographical resources (databases, online scientific journals) and assimilation of the scientific literature related to the appropriate biological field
* Ability to summarize
* Know how to do a critical analysis of scientific results
* Use of knowledge and creativity for formulating, then resolving a scientific problem
* Ability to learn and to adapt
* Organization and teamwork
* Communicating results (oral presentation, posters, written reports) and defending a project against detractors
* Appreciating the quality and pertinence of a study or a scientific approach
* Mastery of scientific English (certified level B2).
Upon completion of the different courses offered, students can expect to work in basic or applied research in different fields of biology, either by undertaking a PhD or by finding employment in the various research and development professions in the academic (universities, CNRS, INSERM, CEA, INRA,...) or corporate sectors, particularly in the field of biotechnology.
Four main courses are offered:
* Cellular biology
* Developmental biology
* Stem cell biology
* Research and development in biotechnology (vocational course)
Two international courses exist in addition to the main courses. They include a minimum of six months study abroad in one of the European partner universities.
* International Master´s degree: From molecular developmental biology to biomedicine, evolution and systems biology
* International master in cell and stem cell biology
As modern biology necessarily integrates molecular mechanisms at the level of the cell and the organism, it relies heavily on the other basic disciplines. On to the bachelor´s level base, these notions are acquired or developed by the choice of M1 papers, which will guide students towards the M2 courses offered. The teaching program for the "research" courses is provided in collaboration with Parisian institutes (Institut Curie, Institut Pasteur, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris, Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Institut du Fer-à-Moulin, Muséum National d´Histoire Naturelle). The vocational course "Research and Development in Biotechnology" is run in association with the IPROB (Institut de Professionnalisation en Biotechnologies), which is allied with 270 businesses involved in biotechnology.
This specialization is aimed at bachelor´s graduates who would like to further their knowledge in these disciplines. Given the extra training acquired in M1 and the course capacity, the specialization offers about 60 places a year in M2. This specialization also concerns medical and pharmacy students, students from the Ecoles Normales Supérieures, engineering schools and veterinary schools. Depending on their educational history, they may be able to enroll directly in M2.
The specialization is open to graduates of the UPMC Bachelor of Science and Technology, majoring in Life Sciences. Acceptance into the second year of the master´s (M2) depends on results and choice of papers in M1. The specialization is also open to medical and pharmacy students (who must follow a specific M1 program), to students with bachelor´s degrees from other universities and to students from the grandes écoles, with experience in the specialization´s fields.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!