|Application deadline:||Any time of the year|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||August 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||120 ECTS|
|Credits:||60 US credits|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This is a graduate humanities program that engages students in innovative intellectual work. In small, interactive classes, students learn to apply analysis and research methods from the social sciences, arts, literature, cultural and religious worldviews, and philosophy. The two-year Master of Arts in Humanities program offers an applied approach to the practice of humanities.
Anglo-American Universitys international faculty is a resource to students looking for a cross-cultural and interdisciplinary humanities program in Prague. Students develop academically and professionally as they become experts in humanistic work, including visual culture, arts and cultural management, popular culture and media theory, modern intellectual history, and advanced literary studies and critique.
The M.A. in Humanities program is ideal for students who are looking to strengthen their candidacy for Ph.D. programs, and for those looking for an alternative to MFA programs.
Graduates of the M.A. in Humanities program can expect to:
* Have expertise in analytical and research methods of the humanities and social sciences.
* Have a specialized knowledge of intellectual history and cultural phenomena of various cultures and societies.
* Be able to pragmatically and insightfully compare and critique cultural phenomena of various cultures and societies.
* Conduct analysis of the history and interpretation of the practice of humanities.
* Communicate professionally, decisively and strategically in verbal and written English. Our graduates are able to identify, describe and discuss complex problems and solutions to international audiences.
The M.A. in Humanities is a full-time study program.
Full-time: Study and advancement is based on classroom lectures and interactive exercises. Attendance and participation are mandatory.
* 7 class hours = 1 ECTS credit
* 42 hours = 6 ECTS/3 US credits.
The program requires 120 ECTS credits (60 US credits) and may be completed by full-time students in two years.
* Art and Cultural Management
* Methods in the Human Sciences: Theoretical Paradigms
* Methods in the Human Sciences: Critical Writing, Analysis and Interpretation
* Methods in the Human Sciences: Scholarly Writing and Research
* M.A. Thesis
Area Requirements: Seminar in Aesthetics (1 of the following 2.)
* Aesthetics: From Enlightenment to Postmodernism
* Aesthetics, or the Philosophy of Beauty
Area Requirements: Topics in History (1 of the following 2.)
* Contemporary Currents in Historiography
* History of Historiography
Area Requirements: Topics in Cultural Studies (1 of the following 3.)
* Advanced Film Seminar: Women Film Directors
* Alternative Culture as Everyday Practice: Beyond Frankfurt, Birmingham and Other Schools
* Consumer as Creator: Exploring Receptor-Based Cultural Theory
Area Requirements: Topics in Philosophy (1 of the following 3.)
* European Philosophy
* Advanced Seminar in Philosophy: Georges Bataille and Michel Foucault
* What is Text? Ricoeur on Text, Metaphor and Narrative
Area Requirements: Topics in Literary Studies (1 of the following 3.)
* Key Texts in Literary Modernism and Postmodernism
* Advanced Interdisciplinary Seminar in Romanticism
* Advanced Seminar on Franz Kafka
* Art and Society: The History of Visual Art in the 20th Century
* 20th Century Art and Literature: The Avant-Garde
* Art and the Concept of Freedom
* Art in the Public Realm
* Major Film Directors: Selected Topics
* Critical Approaches to Contemporary Art and Visual Culture
* Cultural History of Early Modern Europe (1400-1700)
* Advanced Seminar on the Holocaust
* Externalizing Identity: Performance and Ritual Theory
* Popular Cinematic Genres: Interpretation and Theory
* Internship or Research Practicum in Humanities
* Advanced Seminar in Poetry
* Advanced Literary Seminar: Women Writers
* Readings in 20th Century European Philosophy: Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari
* Concepts of Evil
* Dr. Frankenstein and his Colleagues
* Theories of Antisocial Behavior
* Phenomenological Psychology
* Abnormal Psychology: Jaspers, Goldstein, Canguilhem, Laing
* Comparative Theologies
* How Can We Comprehend the Holocaust?
* Sub-Cultures: Critical Insights into Resistance
* Youth Cultures--Film and Music of the 1960-2000's: Writing History with Visual Media
* Understanding Media Fandom
In order to graduate, students must pass a final, State Examination conducted by a panel of faculty, including one thesis opponent.
State exams consist of: a presentation and defense of an original masters thesis; oral examination on aesthetics, literary and cultural studies, philosophy, modern intellectual history, and one open field.
To apply for a master's degree program at Anglo-American University, applicants must submit a complete Application Form and all documents listed below:
* Notarized copy of an bachelors undergraduate degree;
* Official transcript confirming accredited undergraduate degree
* Two Letters of Recommendation
* Application fee of 500 CZK*
* Any of the minimum qualifying English language test scores below (applies to non-native English speakers only):
* TOEFL (550 on paper-based test, 213 on computer-based, 80 on Internet-based)
* CPE (B)
* IELTS (7)
When the complete application package has been recieved, applicants will be invited to an interview (conducted in person or by phone).
Non-native English speakers meeting all requirements except for English proficiency (TOEFL score 500 - 525) may be provisionally admitted to AAU for one semester, after a successful interview; full acceptance is subject to the student's score in an English language test at the end of the first semester.
Applicants who do not meet the required language test score can be accepted into our one-semester Intensive Academic English Program.
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||550|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||80|
The M.A. in Humanities program was accredited by the Czech Republic Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports on July 15, 2007 thereby qualifying graduates to apply for postgraduate Ph.D. programs at private and public universities in the Czech Republic, other EU countries, the United States, Canada, and many other countries around the world.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!