|Application deadline:||End of August 2014; non-EU candidates not residing in Italy: March 20th, 2014|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014, September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The programme is aimed at training engineers who are able to begin working immediately in the oil sector, which is characterised by the high technical and technological skill level required, and by the interdisciplinary and international dimension that demands specialists who can operate in very different socio-environmental contexts as well as developing their relational and communication skills.
Partly for this reason, the course is given exclusively and entirely in English.
At the end of the course of studies, petroleum engineers will be able to analyse hydrocarbon deposits both for quantity of reserves and production capacity, and will identify the best strategies for producing oil and/or natural gas based not only on technical feasibility but also economic and environmental sustainability.
The two-year programme prepares students in the basic subject areas of the oil sector, such as geology and engineering of oil and gas deposits, drilling and completion of oil wells, transport and processing of hydrocarbons, as well as background subjects such as rock mechanics, chemistry and economics, or complementary subjects such as geophysics, risk analysis and safety, business organisation, and the environmental impact of both surface and underground activities.
Students formation can be completed through technical training modules or internships.
Target roles and competencies
Course graduates will possess adequate knowledge to perform professional activities in various areas, such as technical and economic feasibility analysis for project proposals for exploration or development of hydrocarbon deposits, definition and management strategies for exploitation of non-renewable resources, including the design and organisation of structures and facilities necessary for production, risk analysis and safety management in prevention and emergency phases.
The professional competences of course graduates, which can be defined according to the different fields of application, will enable them to carry out high-profile technical activities in oil companies, in service companies which acquire and elaborate data and develop projects on behalf of oil companies, and in public administrations involved in the energy sector. The career orientation of graduates, once they have begun working, will also depend on personal predisposition towards speculative or more applicative activities.
The scientific subjects specific to petroleum engineering provide the basic knowledge and tools for understanding the technical and engineering subjects that are taught later.
Specific engineering subjects include techniques for drilling and completion of oil wells, techniques for exploitation of deposits through extraction of oil and natural gas, and aboveground chemical treatment of oil and natural gas to obtain energy-producing petroleum products.
The wide spectrum of technical training provides all the necessary tools to enable students to further explore areas of personal interest or specialise in a narrower field during their working lives.
The introductory subjects provide useful background in the economics of resources, environmental reclamation of contaminated sites, risk and safety analysis of equipment and processes.
To be eligible for admission in a Laurea Magistrale Course, first you must hold a degree (Bachelor) awarded by an accredited foreign university after minimum 15 years of global schooling (including primary school, secondary school and university).
Students enrolled at home university in 5 or 6 years degree programs, that have not graduated yet, must fulfil the minimum requirement of 15 years of global schooling (minimum 3 years at University level) and have 180 ECTS credits or equivalent.
The Admission Committee, once received your application, will evaluate your previous studies and decide if you meet not only the general requirements, but also the specific conditions for the admission to the Master of your choice (course requirements).
|TOEFL iBT® test:||77|
Politecnico International Scholarships
The Politecnico di Torino offers scholarships to international students to attend academic programs in Engineering and Architecture.
Complete list of scholarship projects
* Alessandria Campus project: scholarships for international students to attend 1st level Specializing Master programs at the Alessandria campus.
* ASP - Alta Scuola Politecnica: special program for talented international students for Architecture and Engineering programs at the Master of Science level.
* Ciência sem Fronteiras program: scholarships for Brazilian students and researchers for Architecture and Engineering programs at the undergraduate, Master of Science, PhD, and Post Doc levels.
* COLFUTURO scholarship-loans: scholarships-loans for Colombian students for Architecture and Engineering programs at the Master of Science, second level Specializing master, and PhD levels.
* Compagnia di San Paolo - Politecnico project: scholarships for international students for Architecture and Engineering programs at the Master of Science and II level Specializing Master levels.
* Eni Project - Petroleum Engineering: scholarships for international students to attend the Master of Science program in Petroleum Engineering.
* Erasmus Mundus Action 2: scholarships financed by the European Commission to support mobility between European universities and International institutions at all academic levels (Bachelor, Master, PhD, Post-doc, Academic Staff).
* Erasmus Mundus (MERIT): scholarships for international students to attend the Master of Science program in Information Technologies.
* Erasmus Mundus (SELECT): scholarships for international students to attend the Master of Science program in Energy and Nuclear Engineering.
* INIA project (Internazionalizzazione Ingegneria Autoveicolo): scholarships for international students to attend the Master of Science program in Automotive Engineering (2 years).
* Invest your talent in Italy: scholarships for Brazilian, Indian and Turkish students at the Master of Science and II level Specializing Master levels.
* Verrès Campus project: scholarships for international students to attend Engineering programs at the Bachelor level at the Verrès campus.
EDISU Piemonte scholarships reserved to prospective students
All international students are entitled to the same student assistance services as Italian students, on basis of the same requisites of financial means and/or merit. This applies to scholarships, student loans, housing assistance, refectory meal tickets and fee waivers.
These services are managed by the EDISU Piemonte (Ente per il Diritto allo Studio Universitario: there is such an agency in each Italian region; it has the task to set up and run the necessary student welfare services in conformity to the current legal provisions).
Alongside scholarship and financial aid information, EDISU offices will also provide other services such as counselling and information in signing a Rental Contract in the private market.
The EDISU grant is a sum of money assigned to Italian and International students registered at Piedmont universities who have good academic results and low income. The assignment of grants has the purpose of promoting higher education. The amount of money received by the students varies according to: the family income and attendance (full-time/part-time).
If you enrol for the first time, no merit is required when you apply for a grant. EDISU however, requires it for the payment of second instalment of the grant.
If you are a foreign student resident abroad, you will need to be in possession of the documents relating to your financial and real estate status abroad, as listed below.
These certificates or declarations on paper exempted from payment of real estate are issued by the competent authorities of the foreign state where the familly's income is generated.
* composition of the family unit
* revenue generated abroad the previous year (related to all the members of the family unit)
* property and real estate assets generated abroad at 31 December of the previous year
These declarations must be translated into Italian and legalised by the Italian Embassy or Consulate.
When you will arrive at the Politecnico di Torino, you will have to present these declarations to the CAF offices, afterwards the CAF will issue a document called " Attestazione ISEEU"; this document provides the index of the economic situation of your family.
With the ISEEU, you will be able to apply to the EDISU Piemonte scholarships, refectory card, rooms in Hall of Residences.
Please see also the Information for students coming from particularly underdeveloped countries.
For more information about the Notice of Competition, please visit
The ISEEU is necessary also if you want to apply for the fees reduction, directly to the Politecnico (you can apply for it only if you don't obtain the EDISU scholarship).
Italian Foreign Affairs Ministry Grants
The Foreign Affairs Ministry offers every year a certain number of grants (Borse di studio del Governo Italiano) to international students, or to Italian students living abroad.
Each grant comprehend an amount of money which vary according to the degree, an insurance and a flight ticket (only for students coming from Extra-European Countries).
Moreover, the Foreign Affairs Ministry offers other scholarships to the students of developing countries. These scholarships are assigned according to the student's home country, branch of study and course required.
Italian language knowledge is fundamental to apply for this kind of scholarship.
Borse di studio del Governo Italiano for higher education at the following levels:
* Laurea di I Livello (Bachelor)
* Laurea Magistrale (Master of Science)
* Corsi singoli (Single courses)
* Master (Postgraduate Master)
* Dottorato di Ricerca (PhD)
The Notice of Competition is available in the Italian Embassies and Consulates, in the Istituti di Cultura and in the Foreign Affairs Ministry website and is usually is updated in February/March.