|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme is aimed at graduates and professionals who want to pursue roles as consultants and managers in the corporate social responsibility, environmental management and sustainability arenas. The programme, which was the first of its kind in the UK, combines courses that provide grounding in the broad scope of topics which sit under the umbrella of sustainability, ranging from project development to corporate sustainability strategy; alongside courses that focus on the tangible professional skills that are used by environmental and sustainability consultants and project managers.
The MSc Sustainability (Environmental Consultancy and Project Management) programme, is truly focused on sustainability as an integrated issue, rather than separating the environmental, economic and social elements. Specialist courses are delivered by both academic staff and practicing consultants and other practitioners, providing students with exposure to real-life, international case studies and a good understanding of contemporary management techniques and solutions.
The Consultancy Project
A key component of this programme is the management of a consultancy project, which is usually undertaken in the form of a placement with a professional organisation. This experience plays a key role in student's personnel and professional development.
* "A course with a bright future. This course offers it all." Guardian 2004
* "An interactive and challenging course that provides a real insight into the professional consultancy world". James Elliott, Graduate 2005
* 'If the students I talked with are typical of those on the MSc Sustainability (Environmental Consultancy) course, then I'm optimistic for the future of professional environmentalism!' Peter Foulston, Principal Officer, Environment Agency
* "The graduates from this course are two to three years ahead of the other graduates we have been interviewing". Leading UK consultancy
This strong relationship with businesses and other influential organisations in the field of sustainability means that graduates from this programme are able to contribute to transforming business to prepare for a more sustainable future.
Excellent Career Prospects
Students who have graduated from this programme have gone on to a wide variety of careers, spanning the spectrum of sustainability. Careers include:
* corporate sustainability and corporate social responsibility;
* sustainability strategy;
* environmental and social impact assessments and project financing;
* environmental management;
* carbon reduction and energy management;
* stakeholder management and engagement;
* policy development;
* sustainability assessment.
This programme, when completed on a full time basis, is a 12 month programme split into three semester:
* Introduction to Sustainability
* Business, Environment and Sustainability
* The Regulatory and Planning Context for Environmental Projects
* Elective: Climate Change: Physical Science Basis OR Introduction to Ecological Economics
* Standards and Tools for Business, Environment and Corporate Responsibility
* Issues and Cases in Business, Environment and Corporate Responsibility
* Environmental Consultancy: Project and Stakeholder Management
* Environmental Consultancy: Contract Development and Management
* Consultancy project usually carried out on placement
Candidates should have an upper second class degree (2.1) or above in a natural, environmental, physical, management or social science subject. Equivalent international qualifications are also acceptable.
Mature applicants without a first degree or with a lower degree classification may be considered on the basis of their relevant industry experience and their potential for benefiting from the programme.
In the past students have entered the programme from a number of backgrounds including engineering, environmental management and sciences, management and business, psychology and product design.
We strive to provide a diverse and inspiring learning environment and thus encourage applicants from across the globe and from people at any point in their career.
Applicants whose first language is not English, or whose degree is not from a UK institution, will need to satisfy language requirements determined by the School.
|TOEFL iBT® test:||92|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.
Postgraduate Scholarships at Leeds
Visit the University of Leeds Scholarship Web Page:
Other Funding Sources
Students in the past have secured funding through a career development loan, for details visit the UK Government Website
Cost of Living in Leeds - Useful Links
Cost of living in Leeds - Leeds University Union guidance
Unipol Student Homes - Unipol Housing Leeds provides student accommodation directly to around 2,000 students including 194 student families in self-catering provision. Information on accommodation costs and 'find a home' events can be found via this website.