This Master course covers the areas of Microbiology, Biochemistry and Biotechnology and aims to prepare students for activities related to the development and implementation of services and products within these areas. In this respect, the fact that being in a college with a strong connection to Biotechnology, gives the course a distinctive character in relation to other similar training programmes. The curricular component of the course covers a number of units that explore the different facets of microbiology (food, environmental, health, biotechnology) and the methodological approaches that are inherent. In the 2nd year of study, students undertake a research project (Master's dissertation) aiming the development of skills for carrying out scientific research and scientific writing. The proximity and involvement of students with R&D and extension activities will contribute to their valorization, allowing direct contact with professionals in areas related to their training.
The program develops skills to:
- Exploit the beneficial aspects of microbial activity and avoid the non- favorable activities;
- Develop and implement original ideas in the field of microbiology;
- Solve problems related to microbiology, in a professional context and within multi-disciplinary teams;
- Plan and carry out research projects within the Microbiology / Biotechnology area;
- Communicate clearly the findings to scientific audiences and the general public.
Microorganisms and Food Safety
Experimental Design and Data Analysis
Instrumental Analysis and Laboratory Automation
Microbiology and Environmental Quality
Advanced Clinical Microbiology
Fermentation and Enzymology
Management, Innovation and Marketing
Integrated Laboratory Practices in Microbiology
* - Any course in any area offered at the College
To carry out the M.Sc. in Applied Microbiology, the applicants must be:
- Holders of the bachelor degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent in the area of biological sciences and related areas; or
- Holders of a foreign academic degree in the areas of biological sciences or bioengineering, conferred by a 1st cycle of studies structured according to the principles of the Bologna Process; or
- Holders of a foreign academic degree in the areas of biological sciences, recognized by the Scientific Council of the ESB-UCP as meeting the objectives of a bachelor degree; or
- Holders of academic, scientific or a professional curriculum recognized by the Scientific Council of the ESB-UCP as attesting to the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies.
Applicants will be assessed based on the final classification of the bachelor degree, on the background field, on the scientific, academic and / or professional curriculum, and, when necessary, in an interview to assess, among other things, the motivation of the candidate.
No work experience is required.
Top 6 reasons to study with us:The quality of our education - It boasts a strong science basis, competent and well recognized academic staff members, technical staff and full time researchers providing a stimulating and supportive study environment while preparing students for a variety of careers in the food, environment and health industries; we offer state-of-the-art facilities and cutting-edge research opportunities
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!
The Catholic University of Portugal – Porto is a University of recognized teaching quality. We are proud to offer our students a diverse and stimulating academic environment, as well as the conditions they need for their full development as a person. For this, we are committed to pedagogical innovation, humanist training and the integration of interdisciplinary knowledge.