|Application deadline:||Dutch students(May 15; November 01); EU/EEA students(May 15; November 01); non-EU/EEA students(March 01; November 01)|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||February 2015, September 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||60 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Are you interested in the history of 'alternative Christianities'? Ever wondered how occultism and magic shaped modern science and psychology? Then this is the programme for you.
Recently, there has been a rising interest in topics related to Gnosticism, esotericism and mysticism, both inside and outside the academic world. Recognising the relevance of mystical and esoteric currents in the history of religion in Europe, as well as the impact of Hermetic and Gnostic spirituality, challenges monolithic narratives of European religious and cultural identities. The Master's degree programme Concealed Knowledge meets this challenge and offers a deeper analysis of the processes involved.
The courses offered in this multidisciplinary programme will introduce you to the most important discussions and historical developments related to Gnosticism, esotericism and mysticism. After a solid introduction to ancient esoteric and Gnostic discourse, you will learn about mystical traditions and the influence of Kabbalistic esotericism in Western culture from late antiquity through today. You will also study the processes of exchange between East and West that have shaped contemporary religious landscapes.
As a graduate, you are specialized in the history and current manifestations of rather unknown religious traditions. This makes you one of the few experts in the field. Your profile will suit a number of different positions ranging from cultural management to legal advice. It also enables you to contribute to articles and television programmes. You will have sufficient knowledge of the subject to teach Religious Studies, Philosophy or Social Studies. You could also opt for a career in research.
* Consulting & PolicyYou are specialized in the history and current manifestations of relatively unknown religious traditions. This makes you one of the few experts in this field. Your profile will suit a number of different positions ranging from cultural management to legal advice.
* Media & JournalismThroughout the West, mystical traditions are being rediscovered, not just as the subject of study but also as a source through which people can find meaning in life. Publishers and broadcasting companies are responding to this new interest. With your academic background you can make an expert contribution to articles, books and television programmes in this area.
* EducationOnce you have completed this Master's programme, you will have sufficient knowledge of the subject to teach Religious Studies and Philosophy or Social Studies in secondary education. Alternatively, you could opt for a position in higher vocational education. As you also need didactic skills as a teacher, it is advisable to do a Master's in Education after you have completed your regular Master's programme.
* AcademiaIf, during your studies, you come to the conclusion that you would like to stay inacademia, you can choose to apply for a place in the Research Master's after your regularMaster's programme. If you are admitted, you can complete this two-year programme inone year. The Research Master's is a good stepping stone towards a PhD position or aresearch post at a national or international knowledge institute.
* 1 year The MA programme in Concealed Knowledge consists of three thematic course units (30 ECTS) and a thesis (20 ECTS). 10 ECTS are reserved for a practical placement.
Specialisations / Tracks
* Master's Honours Programme:(honours program) Honours programme of the University (15 EC).
For students who have a Bachelor Honours degree, who have attended a University College or were actively involved in (student)organizations beside the regular master programme.
* Knowledge, secrecy and Revelation in Antiquity (10 EC)
* Medieval Mysticism, Kabbalah and Contemporary Culture (10 EC)
* Methodology clinics
* Master Thesis (20 EC)
* Modern Esotericism between East and West (10 EC)
* Placement (10 EC)
* Study abroad is optional
* For an average of 20 weeks
* Maximum of 30 EC
The master programme Concealed Knowledge: Gnosticism, Esotericism and Mysticism has various exchange possibilities for students with other universities within the European Union, but also at non-European university to take part of the study programme at the university abroad.Another option is to take an internship or to do part of the research work abroad.
Een overzicht van behaalde resultaten in de gevolgde bacheloropleiding met een toelichting op de gevolgde vakken
Een (Engelse) taaltoets is alleen van belang indien je geen VWO-diploma hebt. Als minimumeisen gelden TOEFL 237 computer
WO-bachelor Theologie, Religiestudies, Letteren, Wijsbegeerte of Sociale Wetenschappen geeft toegang tot dit masterprogramma. Andere bacheloropleidingen geven toegang via een schakelprogramma.
Een brief met motivatie voor toelating tot dit programma, evenals een curriculum vitae maakt deel uit van de toelatingsprocedure.
Nederlandse studenten sturen de gevraagde documentatie per mail naar firstname.lastname@example.org, ook als een drempelloze toegang van toepassing is.
TOEFL: 237 computer based
Bachelor degree in Theology, Religious Studies, Arts, Philosophy or Social Sciences.Students with another bachelor degree may be admitted via a bridging programme
A letter of motivation to the admissions committee explaining the choice for this study programme (max. 1 page) is required, just as an overview of your bachelor programme and a Curriculum Vitae in OAS (Online Application System)
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||580|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||92|
Several scholarships are available for international students who are motivated to study Bachelors, Masters and PhD programmes, as well as for exchanges, short courses and research stays at our university.