Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
* If you wish to improve your knowledge of modern molecular, biochemical, cell biological and genetic techniques for biotechnological applications, this programme is designed for you.
* You will gain a sound understanding of the nature of business based on bioscience knowledge and research, their opportunities for innovation and regulatory requirement constraints, intellectual property and ethical issues.
* We have exciting scholarship opportunities
* You will learn how to assess the current literature, be encouraged to form opinions based on scientific merit, and implement these ideas in future research planning.
* You will be taught by experts in the field of Biotechnology who run active, internationally recognised, research groups here at Glasgow.
* The course involves extensive interaction with industry, through site visits, guest lectures and an "Industrial Networking Symposium" where representatives from the European biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry will discuss their companies and answer your questions on working in the industrial sector.
* This course has a strong laboratory component, with courses that run throughout the year, giving you hands on experience of diverse biotechnological research skills.
* The flexible independent research project provides valuable training for students wishing to proceed to a Ph.D. or into an industrial career; this may also be completed as a business based project.
* Additional programme components include industrial networking sessions and a dedicated career workshop on progression planning.
* Our Masters in Biotechnology provides an advanced practical knowledge of how research and industry are being applied to solve real world problems.
Resource and Facilities
The Masters in Biotechnology is run by the Contributions to this course are also made by academic staff from:
What our students say
Abioye Jumai is a current MSc Biotechnology student.
"As an African, I wanted to leave my comfort zone and gain a global perspective of the world and modern technological skills by studying a one-year MSc before proceeding to my PhD and the UK had that, quality education in one year. I chose the University of Glasgow because it is one of the best schools in the UK and a part of prestigious groups such as the Russell group and Universitas 21. The most beautiful thing about Glasgow is the hospitality, the people are so kind. There's so much to see, and there is something for everyone, ranging from museums and galleries to clubs and pubs. I've also been on trips with the international society and I must admit that Scotland is beautiful. I chose this course as I wanted to gain theoretical insight into bioenergy production so I chose an all-encompassing course. The diversity of skills I have learnt in this short time is amazing. I came for bioenergy but now I know so much more and I feel and think more like a scientist now. I have also been able to activate my leadership potentials by representing my class as the rep. My advice for new students would be do not procrastinate, deadlines are deadlines. Take up every opportunity to network and gain skills. If you are an international student, join the International Student Society and read all information properly so you can take full advantage of opportunities as there are so many. The lectures are astonishing, I get to actually think and come up with innovative solutions. The city has so many amazing activities and there are also opportunities to travel with the International Student Society.
Sanya Aggarwal is a former MSc Biotechnology student who is now working as a Research Scientist in the University of Edinburgh. She is currently working with the artificial insemination of the pandas atEdinburgh Zoo.
"I got this position of research trainee in this project with the help of Dr. Mathis Riehle. During my course at the University of Glasgow, Dr. Riehle was my dissertation supervisor. I feel that doing an M.Sc. in Biotechnology at the University of Glasgow was one of the best decisions of my life. It added on to my experience in the field, improved my self-confidence and versatility. Working with Dr. Riehle on complex topic of protein engineered biomaterials was a great experience. He had been a great mentor. He was very helpful, supportive and provided me with the right motivation. When he heard that I was back in Glasgow and looking for experience he immediately stepped forward and informed about this project. He said he could recommend me if I was interested. I said yes and then I was asked to give an interview to the research director of IBREAM (Institute of Breeding Rare and Endangered African Mammals) and I was sent an acceptance letter. For the last 4 months I have been living at the Edinburgh Zoo and it has been a great experience. I don't think it could have gone any better. If it was not for Dr. Riehle and his confidence in me, I would not have achieved this."
This programme will prepare you for a career in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industrial sectors or for entry into PhD programmes.
The programme is made up of five teaching modules and a dissertation project. Each module explores different aspects of Biotechnology. The dissertation allows you to specialise the degree through a chosen field of research. You will undertake this project with the support and guidance of your chosen academic expert.
The aims of the course are:
* To enable students to study a wide range of biotechnology topics in depth;
* Allow students to benefit from leading-edge research-led teaching;
* To enhance students' conceptual, analytical and generic skills and to apply them to biotechnology problems;
* To prepare students for leading positions in the biotechnology industry or entry into PhD programmes.
Core and Optional Courses:
* Molecular Biotechnology Lab Skills
* Industrial and Environmental Microbiology
* Biotechnology Business Skills
* Current Technologies in Biotechnology
* Omics Technologies
* Synthetic Biology
* Biotechnology Research Project
A second class honours degree or equivalent in a related subject area Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology or Biochemistry although applicants with a degree in other areas may be considered. Professional experience may also be taken into account.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Further information regarding academic entry requirements:email@example.com
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|193 (Grade B)|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||92|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!