|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014, September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme is designed for both graduates with teaching experience and practising language teachers and trainers who wish to build a career in modern languages and English as a foreign language. It enables students to make an effective contribution to language learning in their organisation through research, development and the application of newly acquired knowledge, and enhance career prospects in further and higher education.
Students are introduced to a wide range of research in applied languages, in particular those research activities and themes that affect the language-learning environment, including second language acquisition and communicative language teaching.
Students also explore research in language learning in relation to the practical learning environment. They acquire the skills to write and use computer-aided language learning tools and conduct a research project in language learning and language teaching.
Graduates can become teachers of languages in schools, colleges or universities, or manage a department of languages.
The aims of the programme are:
* To analyse theory and research in applied languages, particularly the research activities and theoretical frameworks that impinge on language learning and language teaching and testing
* To explore the interface between research in language learning and the practical learning environment
* To evaluate the role and future of information technology with a resource-based language-learning framework
* To develop an awareness of non-traditional (i.e. non-classroom-based) methods of language learning
* To provide the research skills and knowledge of research methods in language learning to enable the student to conduct their own project.
* Key Issues in Second Language Teaching (30 credits)
* Research Methods in Language Learning (30 credits)
* The use of Information Technology (ICT) in Language Learning (30 credits)
* Second Language Acquisition (30 credits)
* Research Project (60 credits)
Applicants typically require:
An undergraduate degree classification of 2.1 or above in a relevant discipline, with teaching experience (in exceptional circumstances a 2.2 may be considered)
OR a professional qualification recognised as being equivalent to a good honours degree in a related area
OR professional experience, research in a professional capacity or publication in journals or presentation at conferences/seminars
OR other qualifications and/or experience that demonstrate that a candidate possesses knowledge and skills commensurate with the standard of a good honours degree.
Students educated in a language other than English should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent.
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|60 (Grade C)|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.
List of bursaries and scholarships
* Access Scholarship
* Alumni Progression Bursary
* Aspire@Greenwich Scheme for learning resources
* Care Leavers' Bursary
* David Fussey Choral Exhibition Bursary
* First Class Honours Bursary
* Gravesend Rugby Football Bursary
* Greenwich Hospital Bursary
* Royal Navy and Royal Marines Bursary
* Gurkha Personnel Bursary
* Harry Persaud Scholarship
* High Achievement Scholarship
* John McWilliam bursary
* Minerva Scholarship
* National Scholarship Programme
* Nationality Scholarship
* People's Republic of China Scholarship
* The Robert Holman Bursary
* Sir William Boreman's Foundation Bursary