|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Duration part-time:||36 months|
|Part-time variant:||Evening, Weekday|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme is accredited by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. It provides excellent training and education for those who seek a formal counselling qualification matched to BACP professional body requirements and competences.
It is suitable for applications from:
* Allied health disciplines
* Those who are seeking to make a career change but have some experience (voluntary or otherwise) in a helping capacity e.g. human resources, law, social services, education
* Those seeking to enhance current professional practice with insight into the theory and practice of counselling and psychotherapy and the management of high intensity distress
The programme's flexible entry system may also appeal if you have previous post graduate counsellor training and are seeking a master's level qualification accredited by the BACP.
If you are interested in a career in counselling but do not have the relevant qualifications or experience the university also offers undergraduate programme in Psychology with Counselling (BSc) and Counselling (BA). Please see the undergraduate pages of the online prospectus.
The aims of the programme are:
* To provide you with a range of therapeutic counselling techniques based on an integrative relationship model
* To enable you to examine critically and reflect on counselling theory in the light of a range of contextual issues and cultural differences
* To give you opportunities to understand the impact of context on the practice of counselling
* To provide you with the opportunity to follow individual theoretical, professional and research interests, determine how to integrate theory and practice, evaluate your practice in the light of different theoretical perspectives, and study a theoretical approach to an advanced level.
* The Integrative Relationship in Context (20 credits)
* Professional Aspects of the Integrative Relationship in Context (20 credits)
* The Integrative Relationship and Practice 1 (20 credits)
* The Integrative Relationship and Therapeutic Counselling (20 credits)
* Professional Aspects of the Integrative Relationship (20 credits)
* The Integrative Relationship and Practice 2 (20 credits)
* Counselling Research Methodology and Project (40 credits)
* Advanced Clinical Theory and Practice (20 credits)
Applicants should have:
An honours degree at 2:1 or above
PLUS some knowledge of counselling skills
PLUS experience of working with people in a helping capacity.
Applicants are required to submit a separate personal statement of at least 500 words in support of their interest in pursuing counsellor training. Eligible applicants will then be invited to attend a small group information session, plus a formal one to one interview.
Applicants with suitable prior learning may seek direct entry. You may gain exemption from the three year one courses thereby completing the programme in two years.
Applicants seeking direct entry will be required to present a portfolio demonstrating successful completion of counselling training at equivalent postgraduate certificate and/or diploma level.
Applicants who do not have English as their first language, must have an IELTS score of 7.0 or above or an equivalent rating in another recognised language testing system.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.
List of bursaries and scholarships
* Access Scholarship
* Alumni Progression Bursary
* Aspire@Greenwich Scheme for learning resources
* Care Leavers' Bursary
* David Fussey Choral Exhibition Bursary
* First Class Honours Bursary
* Gravesend Rugby Football Bursary
* Greenwich Hospital Bursary
* Royal Navy and Royal Marines Bursary
* Gurkha Personnel Bursary
* Harry Persaud Scholarship
* High Achievement Scholarship
* John McWilliam bursary
* Minerva Scholarship
* National Scholarship Programme
* Nationality Scholarship
* People's Republic of China Scholarship
* The Robert Holman Bursary
* Sir William Boreman's Foundation Bursary
The Programme is accredited by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and offers students the required training component for individual counsellor accreditation, with the BACP.