|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme provides students with a critical understanding of the theory and practice of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and allied remote sensing and image processing techniques within the field of applications in geography, geology and environmental sciences.
In the first term, students study courses such as Introduction to Geographical Information Systems, Introduction to Remote Sensing and Spatial Database Management. In the second term, students progress to advanced courses, such as Advanced Spatial Modelling and Advanced Image Processing alongside Programming for GIS and Remote Sensing. Further courses throughout the year help students build their research, academic and presentation skills, and optimise their employability. These courses include significant contributions by visiting lecturers from industry, government and commerce, and place a strong emphasis on professional and personal development portfolios.
The Applied GIS and Remote Sensing course in the second term provides students with the opportunity to be trained in, and to implement, a range of field observation and data collection approaches as part of a team, and to process those data in a GIS environment. The course includes intensive training in field survey equipment such as GNSS, and a residential field course that includes 5 days of group project work.
The programme culminates in a third term with the dissertation, an individual piece of research focused on the application of GIS or Remote Sensing techniques to a specific problem. This research may form an extension or development of topics covered in the preceding taught courses, but students are also encouraged to consider a research project topic related to their background interest, so as to develop GIS and Remote Sensing skills in the field they are already familiar with.
This is a highly respected programme in the geographical information industry, and graduates are highly sought after in private industry, agencies and government. The programme has an excellent employability rate.
This programme is available part-time and is timetabled in such a way as to also allow for day-release part-time learning.
The aim of the programme is:
* To provide an intensive educational opportunity designed to equip graduates from a variety of disciplines with the knowledge base and technical skills required to fulfil a professional role in the Geographical Information System and Remote Sensing (GIS/RS) Industry.
* Introduction to GIS (15 credits)
* Introduction to Remote Sensing (15 credits)
* Programming for GIS and Remote Sensing (15 credits)
* Spatial Database Management (15 credits)
* Advanced Spatial Modelling (15 credits)
* Advanced Image Processing (15 credits)
* Professional Practice for Geographical Information (15 credits)
* Applied GIS and Remote Sensing (15 credits)
* Individual Research and Dissertation (MSc only) (60 credits)
Applicants should have:
A a good first degree, normally at 2.1 or above
OR a postgraduate diploma in natural sciences, geography, environmental subjects or any discipline with the application of GIS or Remote Sensing
OR relevant personal or professional experience.
Students who do not have English as their first language, must have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above or an equivalent rating in another recognised language testing system.
Applicants from other backgrounds are considered but should contact the Programme Leader: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All UK applicants are interviewed.
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|60 (Grade C)|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.
List of bursaries and scholarships
* Access Scholarship
* Alumni Progression Bursary
* Aspire@Greenwich Scheme for learning resources
* Care Leavers' Bursary
* David Fussey Choral Exhibition Bursary
* First Class Honours Bursary
* Gravesend Rugby Football Bursary
* Greenwich Hospital Bursary
* Royal Navy and Royal Marines Bursary
* Gurkha Personnel Bursary
* Harry Persaud Scholarship
* High Achievement Scholarship
* John McWilliam bursary
* Minerva Scholarship
* National Scholarship Programme
* Nationality Scholarship
* People's Republic of China Scholarship
* The Robert Holman Bursary
* Sir William Boreman's Foundation Bursary
This programme has strong links with Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society, the leading UK society in this field.