Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Humanity is facing one of its greatest challenges as a result of the unsustainable use of the planet's natural and physical resources, primarily in the last 40 years. As such, sustainable development has become a key policy driver governing the future long- term development of human society, with the principles of sustainability pervading activities and decision making within governments, organisations and individuals at global, regional and local levels.
The concept of sustainability underpins much environmental, social and economic activity across a broad range of stakeholders, including the work of governments, business, industry, non-governmental organisations, charities and pressure groups. There are few commercial or business enterprises that can now afford to ignore the concept of sustainability.
By the end of this programme, students acquire an interdisciplinary understanding of the principles and practice of sustainability and the means by which these principles can be implemented. They also have a deeper awareness of sustainability and sustainable development, its interdisciplinary nature and its links to planning, the law and the physical, natural and social sciences.
In addition, students develop an awareness of the values and criteria that underlie sustainability and sustainable development and are able to apply these to decision making. During the period June to September, students undertake a research project in a specialist area of interest related to sustainability, often in collaboration with an external organisation.
This programme is available part-time and is timetabled in such a way as to also allow for day-release part-time learning.
The aims of the programme are:
* To develop in students a critical understanding of the sustainable development debate and ways to create a more sustainable and just society
* To develop in students an expertise and critical perspectives on research and practice in contemporary sustainability issues
* To develop the skills necessary for students to effectively promote sustainable development in governmental and non-governmental organisations.
* Sustainability: Principles and Practice (15 credits)
* Research Methods for Postgraduates (15 credits)
* Climate Change and Sustainability (15 credits)
* Environmental Legislation and Policy (15 credits)
* Sustainable Energy Futures (15 credits)
* Measuring Sustainability (15 credits)
* Planning for Sustainability (15 credits)
* Business and Sustainability (15 credits)
* Sustainable Futures - Dissertation (60 credits)
Applicants should have:
Agood first degree, normally at 2.1 or above
OR a postgraduate diploma in an appropriate subject
OR relevant personal/professional experience.
Students who do not have English as their first language, must have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above or an equivalent rating in another recognised language testing system.
Applicants from other backgrounds may be considered.
All UK applicants are interviewed.
|CAE score:||60 (Grade C)|
List of bursaries and scholarships
* Access Scholarship
* Alumni Progression Bursary
* Aspire@Greenwich Scheme for learning resources
* Care Leavers' Bursary
* David Fussey Choral Exhibition Bursary
* First Class Honours Bursary
* Gravesend Rugby Football Bursary
* Greenwich Hospital Bursary
* Royal Navy and Royal Marines Bursary
* Gurkha Personnel Bursary
* Harry Persaud Scholarship
* High Achievement Scholarship
* John McWilliam bursary
* Minerva Scholarship
* National Scholarship Programme
* Nationality Scholarship
* People's Republic of China Scholarship
* The Robert Holman Bursary
* Sir William Boreman's Foundation Bursary
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.