Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
On this course you can:
* Use a range of digital forensic tools in the context of a digital investigation
* Learn to select and apply security mechanisms and methods such as cryptographic software operations to improve the security of a computer system
* Manage a real-life computer engineering project using appropriate techniques for writing and reasoning about security policies
What opportunities might it lead to?
In an increasingly complex digital world, where threats towards personal sensitive data and digital assets relevant to areas of national defence, IT industry and large-scale sciences, are becoming ever more subtle, this course in computer security leads to new prospects for building a professional career in this exciting and important field of security.
You will study four key topics which will collaboratively develop your knowledge and ability to carry out forensic IT investigations as well as an introduction on how to build protected specification software for data and other web applications. You will also get to build your own test system as part of your final project.
Here are the units you will study:
* Computer Security: Introducing computer and information security concepts and their practical application in both closed and interconnected systems, this unit aims to develop your critical analysis skills required for building secure systems.
* Computer Forensic Investigation and Cryptography: This unit covers the practical aspects of conducting forensic investigation and includes an introduction to cryptographic and steganalysis methods and techniques necessary for the discovery and recovery of hidden information.
* Formal Approaches to Software Development: This unit will develop your knowledge in mathematically rigorous approaches to system specification and development.
* Advanced Programming Skills for the Web: This unit will draw together a number of system development skills focusing on the development of web applications and connecting databases to web applications, software tools, testing and security.
* Masters Project: In the final part of the course, you will undertake a substantial engineering project where you will apply the skills and knowledge from the taught part of the course to build and test a system in response to a practical computer and information security problem, often supplied by local businesses or other external clients.
Teaching and Assessment
You will be taught using a combination of formal lectures, tutorials and lab sessions. Youll also be required to spend a significant amount of time in private study, which may involve additional software development or research as appropriate to the topic you are currently studying.
How are you assessed?
You will encounter a range of assessment styles depending on the content and nature of the unit topic. This can include written assignments, presentations as well as group and individual lab-based assessments. However, the most significant assessment element is the final dissertation, which reports and reflects on your final project
A second class honours degree in a relevant subject such as computer sciences, information security, software engineering, forensics or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications in IT security.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 5.5.
|CAE score:||75 (Grade B)|
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.