Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Why study Human Anatomy at Dundee?The MSc in Human Anatomy is a unique Master's programme created in response to the need to provide training in human gross anatomy for those who wish to improve their understanding of the structure and function of the human body, as well as those for whom this is a new area of study. The programme aims to provide expertise for those intending to use the knowledge gained in a learning and teaching environment.
* The programme is the only one of its kind in the UK
* It combines whole body dissection with practicing techniques for the presentation of material for learning and teaching
* Provides an introduction to anatomical preservation and presentation techniques
* Full body dissection of Thiel embalmed (soft fix) cadavers
* Opportunity for self-directed original research
What's so good about Human Anatomy at Dundee?
* No one else in the UK offers the possibility of anatomical dissection and anatomical research carried out on these unique, realistic cadavers.
* The adoption of the Thiel method has allowed Dundee to offer not only much more realistic anatomical training, but also a whole new range of research possibilities.
* Good relationships within the university allow research projects to be carried out in the fields of applied anatomy, embryology, histology, medicine, dentistry, or biomechanics, from staff who have international reputations in both practice and research.
* In recognition of its world class excellence, the Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification was the recipient of the Queens Anniversary Prize for Higher Education in 2013, one of the most highly-regarded awards for the UKs universities and colleges.
* The award-winning staff of the Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification are amongst the most experienced in the UK in the fields of human identification, forensic anthropology, craniofacial reconstruction and the study of the human body.
Our reputationThe College of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee was ranked ahead of all other Universities in Scotland and is one of the UK's top 5 universities in the category of Biological Sciences out of 51 Universities.
Staff have international reputations in practice and research.
The award-winning staff of the Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification (CAHID) are amongst the most experienced in the UK in the fields of human identification, forensic anthropology, cranio-facial reconstruction and the study of the human body.
Benefits of studying with usStudy human gross anatomy in the renowned Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification
Access to Thiel embalmed cadavers
Introduction to anatomical preservation and presentation techniques and skills
Exposure to a wide range of IT and personal presentation skills
What you will studyBoth semesters 1 and 2 have a strong emphasis on gross anatomy through whole body dissection, working in groups of no more than four per cadaver. Semester 1 also has modules in Embryology and Developmental Anatomy and a Skills module, while semester 2 has modules in Neuroanatomy and in Clinical and Surgical Anatomy Topics.
Semester 3 allows students to focus on an independent and novel research project, either practical or literature based, in one of the following areas:
* Thiel cadaveric anatomy
* The anatomy of a specific region of clinical/surgical interest
* Functional anatomy
* Anatomy and biomechanics
The research project is normally carried out at the University of Dundee, but there may be opportunities to complete this at your home institution under certain circumstances.
How you will be assessedThe course is assessed through a variety of formative and summative assessments. Coursework includes practical spot tests, essays, practical workbooks and seminar presentations, while examinations at the end of each semester may include multiple choice questions, extended matching questions, short answer questions, essays and practical spot tests. The research project requires production of a dissertation.
See Course Homepage for Full Details
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.
* The College of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee was ranked ahead of all other Universities in Scotland and is one of the UK's top 5 universities in the category of Biological Sciences out of 51 Universities.
* Staff have international reputations in practice and research.
* The award-winning staff of the Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification (CAHID) are amongst the most experienced in the UK in the fields of human identification, forensic anthropology, cranio-facial reconstruction and the study of the human body.
Sign in to find all related scholarships and all information about funding here.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.