|Application deadline:||June 30|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2015|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme enables students to engage critically with different aspects of Turkish culture and society. The degree offers comprehensive training in the field of Turkish studies. Drawing on SOAS's wide resources in the field, the programme allows students to combine courses to build a syllabus of study according to their interests. It serves as excellent preparation for research.
Students take three taught courses, one designated as major and two as minor.
-If the chosen Major course is not a Turkish Studies course (see List A1), students may not take a Minor course in the same subject as their Major course.
-At least one Minor course must be taken from List A1, A2 or A3.
-No more than one Minor course may be taken from List C. You may not take a course from List C if you are taking a course from List A3.
List A1 (Major) If the chosen Major course is not from this list, students may not take a Minor course in the same subject as their Major course.
* Social and Political Trends in 19th Century Turkish Literature - 15PNMC373 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Selected Topics in 20th Century Turkish Literature - 15PNMC374 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Classical Ottoman Literature (Masters) - 15PNMC385 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
* Turkey:Continuity and Change - 15PNMC377 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* The End of Empire in the Middle East & the Balkans - 15PHIC004 (1 Unit) - Full Year
List A2 (Minor) * New Cinemas of Turkey - 15PNMH004 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1 - Not Running 2012/2013
* Ottoman Architecture in Istanbul: 15th-19th Century - 15PARH045 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1 - Not Running 2012/2013
* Ottoman Art - 15PARC011 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
List A3 (Minor) * Elementary Written Turkish - 15PNMC386 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Intensive Turkish Language (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC395 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Intermediate Modern Turkish Language (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC383 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Advanced Translation (Turkish) - 15PNMC044 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Ottoman Turkish Language (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC397 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
List B (Minor) Department of the Languages and Cultures of Near and Middle East * Theory And Techniques Of Comparative Literature - 15PCLC279 (1 unit Unit)
* Issues in the Anthropology of Film - 15PANH022 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
Department of Anthropology and Sociology * Culture and Society of the Near & Middle East - 15PANC097 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* African and Asian Cultures in Britain - 15PANH009 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
* Comparative Study of Islam: Anthropological Perspectives A (Masters) - 15PANH047 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1 - Not Running 2012/2013
* Comparative Study of Islam: Anthropological Perspectives B (Masters) - 15PANH048 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2 - Not Running 2012/2013 - Must be taken with the first term course - 15PANH047 Comparative Study of Islam: Anthropological Perspectives A (Masters)
* Issues in the Anthropology of Gender - 15PANH024 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2 - Not to be combined with 15PDSH010 Gender & Development.
Department of History * Outsiders in Medieval Middle Eastern Societies: Minorities, Social Outcasts and Foreigners - 15PHIH006 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
* The Middle East, the Mongols and the Silk Road to China - 15PHIC067 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Department of Music * Music of the Near and Middle East and North Africa - 15PMUC033 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Department of Politics and International Studies * Comparative politics of the Middle East - 15PPOC026 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Political society in the Middle East - 15PPOH008 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* Political violence - 15PPOH009 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* Politics of resistance in the Middle East - 15PPOH010 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* State and transformation in the Middle East - 15PPOH011 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
* Islam and political ideologies - 15PPOH007 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
* Violence, justice and the politics of memory - 15PPOH019 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* Islam and politics - 15PPOH006 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
Centre for Gender Studies * Gender in the Middle East - 15PGNH001 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
Centre for Media and Film Studies * Iranian Cinema - 15PMSH010 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* Critical Approaches to the Study of Regional Cinemas - 15PMSH008 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
School of Law * Law and society in the Middle East and North Africa - 15PLAC130 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Department of the Study of Religions * Eastern and Orthodox Christianity - 15PSRC055 (1 Unit) - Full Year
List C (Minor) Students may only take one course from this list. Students may not take a course from this list if they are taking a course from List A3.
* Introduction to Standard Modern Arabic - 15PNMC032 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Arabic 200 (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC389 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Arabic 300 (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC390 (1 unit - 45 cats Unit)
* Elementary Georgian (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC381 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
* Intermediate Georgian (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC380 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
* Elementary Hebrew (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC392 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Intermediate Hebrew (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC393 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Advanced Hebrew (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC394 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Elementary Written Persian - 15PNMC387 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Elementary Persian Texts (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC384 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Elementary Western Armenian (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC400 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
Minimum upper second class honours degree in a social science or humanities subject or equivalent.
English language requirements
In order to ensure that SOAS students have a sufficient standard of English to study effectively, we require overseas students to submit evidence, during the application process, of their current level of proficiency.
Score for Unconditional Entry
* IELTS: Overall 7+ with at least 7 in all sub scores
* TOEFL: iBT105+ with at least 25 in all sub scores
* Pearson Test of English - Academic: Score of 75 or above with at least 70 in all sub scores
|TOEFL iBT® test:||105|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!