Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme enables students to engage critically with different aspects of Turkish culture and society. The degree offers comprehensive training in the field of Turkish studies. Drawing on SOAS's wide resources in the field, the programme allows students to combine courses to build a syllabus of study according to their interests. It serves as excellent preparation for research.
Students take three taught courses, one designated as major and two as minor.
-If the chosen Major course is not a Turkish Studies course (see List A1), students may not take a Minor course in the same subject as their Major course.
-At least one Minor course must be taken from List A1, A2 or A3.
-No more than one Minor course may be taken from List C. You may not take a course from List C if you are taking a course from List A3.
List A1 (Major) If the chosen Major course is not from this list, students may not take a Minor course in the same subject as their Major course.
* Social and Political Trends in 19th Century Turkish Literature - 15PNMC373 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Selected Topics in 20th Century Turkish Literature - 15PNMC374 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Classical Ottoman Literature (Masters) - 15PNMC385 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
* Turkey:Continuity and Change - 15PNMC377 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* The End of Empire in the Middle East & the Balkans - 15PHIC004 (1 Unit) - Full Year
List A2 (Minor) * New Cinemas of Turkey - 15PNMH004 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1 - Not Running 2012/2013
* Ottoman Architecture in Istanbul: 15th-19th Century - 15PARH045 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1 - Not Running 2012/2013
* Ottoman Art - 15PARC011 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
List A3 (Minor) * Elementary Written Turkish - 15PNMC386 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Intensive Turkish Language (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC395 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Intermediate Modern Turkish Language (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC383 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Advanced Translation (Turkish) - 15PNMC044 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Ottoman Turkish Language (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC397 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
List B (Minor) Department of the Languages and Cultures of Near and Middle East * Theory And Techniques Of Comparative Literature - 15PCLC279 (1 unit Unit)
* Issues in the Anthropology of Film - 15PANH022 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
Department of Anthropology and Sociology * Culture and Society of the Near & Middle East - 15PANC097 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* African and Asian Cultures in Britain - 15PANH009 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
* Comparative Study of Islam: Anthropological Perspectives A (Masters) - 15PANH047 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1 - Not Running 2012/2013
* Comparative Study of Islam: Anthropological Perspectives B (Masters) - 15PANH048 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2 - Not Running 2012/2013 - Must be taken with the first term course - 15PANH047 Comparative Study of Islam: Anthropological Perspectives A (Masters)
* Issues in the Anthropology of Gender - 15PANH024 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2 - Not to be combined with 15PDSH010 Gender & Development.
Department of History * Outsiders in Medieval Middle Eastern Societies: Minorities, Social Outcasts and Foreigners - 15PHIH006 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
* The Middle East, the Mongols and the Silk Road to China - 15PHIC067 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Department of Music * Music of the Near and Middle East and North Africa - 15PMUC033 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Department of Politics and International Studies * Comparative politics of the Middle East - 15PPOC026 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Political society in the Middle East - 15PPOH008 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* Political violence - 15PPOH009 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* Politics of resistance in the Middle East - 15PPOH010 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* State and transformation in the Middle East - 15PPOH011 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
* Islam and political ideologies - 15PPOH007 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
* Violence, justice and the politics of memory - 15PPOH019 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* Islam and politics - 15PPOH006 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
Centre for Gender Studies * Gender in the Middle East - 15PGNH001 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
Centre for Media and Film Studies * Iranian Cinema - 15PMSH010 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
* Critical Approaches to the Study of Regional Cinemas - 15PMSH008 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
School of Law * Law and society in the Middle East and North Africa - 15PLAC130 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Department of the Study of Religions * Eastern and Orthodox Christianity - 15PSRC055 (1 Unit) - Full Year
List C (Minor) Students may only take one course from this list. Students may not take a course from this list if they are taking a course from List A3.
* Introduction to Standard Modern Arabic - 15PNMC032 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Arabic 200 (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC389 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Arabic 300 (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC390 (1 unit - 45 cats Unit)
* Elementary Georgian (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC381 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
* Intermediate Georgian (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC380 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
* Elementary Hebrew (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC392 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Intermediate Hebrew (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC393 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Advanced Hebrew (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC394 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Elementary Written Persian - 15PNMC387 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Elementary Persian Texts (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC384 (1 Unit) - Full Year
* Elementary Western Armenian (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC400 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2012/2013
Minimum upper second class honours degree in a social science or humanities subject or equivalent.
English language requirements
In order to ensure that SOAS students have a sufficient standard of English to study effectively, we require overseas students to submit evidence, during the application process, of their current level of proficiency.
Score for Unconditional Entry
* IELTS: Overall 7+ with at least 7 in all sub scores
* TOEFL: iBT105+ with at least 25 in all sub scores
* Pearson Test of English - Academic: Score of 75 or above with at least 70 in all sub scores
|TOEFL iBT® test:||105|
Scholarships and Bursaries
There are some scholarships and bursaries available for postgraduate students. These are very competitive and early application is advised.
· The Ahmad Mustafa Abu-Hakima Bursary (programme must include studying the history of the modern Arab world)
· AKS Postgraduate Bursary (in Korean Studies)
· Bernard Buckman Scholarship (MA Chinese Studies, for UK/EU fee paying students)
· The Canon Collins Scholarships at SOAS. There are two scholarships available available in 2013-14 for study at SOAS. These scholarships are for Masters study in any subject field. Open a national of and resident in one of the following countries:
Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe. The application process normally opens in December and closes in February, for study commencing in September the following year. Please go to the Canon Collins website and click "Apply for A Scholarship" and then "Canon Collins Scholarship for Masters Study in the UK" for further information on how to apply.
· Commonwealth Shared Scholarship (for students from African Commonwealth countries)
· D.G.Hall Scholarship (Taught Masters programmes at SOAS, for applicants holding a Burma/Myanmar passport)
· Felix Scholarships (for Indian students)
· Ferguson Scholarships (for African nationals from an African Country)
· HSBC SOAS Scholarships (MA Sinology & MA Chinese Literature, for UK/EU fee paying students)
· Kamran Djam Scholarships (MA Iranian Studies)
· Professor Stuart Wilson Scholarship (MA South East Asian Studies)
· Standard Chartered Scholarships (for a range of full-time Taught Masters programmes. The programmes relate to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East/NorthAfrica)
· Tibawi Trust Awards (for Palestinian students currently enrolled in a programme at SOAS)
· SOAS Master's Scholarships - Faculty of Arts & Humanities - (for any full-time taught masters programme in the Faculty of Arts & Humanities)
· SOAS Master's Scholarships - Faculty of Language & Cultures (for the full-time MA Gender Studies, MA Postcolonial Studies, MA Linguistics, MA Applied Linguistics & Language Pedagogy, MA Language, Documentation and Description, MA Translation Theory and Practice (Asian and African Languages)
· SOAS Master's Scholarships- Faculty of Law and Social Sciences (for any full-time master's programmes in the Department of Development Studies, Economics, Law, Politics & International Studies and Financial & Management Studies)
· Tallow Chandlers and M. W Beer scholarship (MA) (MA Anthropology of Food, for UK/EU fee paying students)
· William Ross Murray Scholarship (LLM, for students from a developing country)
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.