|Application deadline:||13 October, 2013|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||January 2015|
|Credits:|| 60 ECTS |
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The Master's Degree in Advanced Genetics covers two semesters, the first of which comprises theoretical content only, leaving the second semester for the experimental work (external work placement) and the master's dissertation. This distribution is meant to facilitate students' work, avoiding the need to combine attendance at the placement centre, which can be some distance from the Bellaterra campus, with classes for the theory modules at the Faculty of Biosciences, on the campus itself.
While the content of the second semester is compulsory for all students, in the first semester there is a degree of optionality so that students can choose modules according to their own interests within the field of Genetics. One compulsory module has been programmed that cuts across the whole curriculum, presenting the latest advances in genetics through seminars on plant genomics, genetics for development or other areas that are not included in the other course modules. Learning outcomes for the students will be defined by their success in integrating course contents in their final dissertation, the knowledge of theory acquired in the different modules and the methodologies developed in the practical sessions. The experience accumulated in organising this master's degree allows us to offer a wide variety of centres, where students can choose the subject areas that best fit in with their chosen career. It is significant that in metropolitan Barcelona there is considerable genetics-related research and professional activity, so that students can opt to carry out their placement with a firm, a university department, or one of the many research institutes working in agriculture, veterinary science or public health.
Professional career options include:
* Hospital genetics
* Clinical genetics
* Evolutionary medicine (a new evolving speciality)
* Pre- and postnatal (including preimplantational) genetic diagnosis centres
* Genetic service firms (sequentiation, microarrays, genome analysis, bioinformatics)
* Science equipment firms
* Genetic consultancy
* Science police
* Quality control for the food industry (detecting transgenics, etc.)?
* Genetic improvement of animals or plants
* Pharmaceutical industry and related industries (evaluation of genotoxicity, etc.)
* Biotechnology industry (production of transgenics, recombinant proteins, specific gene therapy vectors, etc.)
* Environmental / ecological diversity / conservation institutions and consultants (zoos, natural parks, etc.)
* conservation and reproduction of animal and plant species
* Writing up and translating specialised scientific articles (newpapers, publishing houses, etc.).
* Working in official and private research centres.
* Teaching (universitary and secondary school level).
Onsite classes for UAB official master¿s degrees usually take place in the afternoons, from 15.00 onwards, Monday to Friday. Depending on the semester, there may be classes every day or only some days of the week. As far as possible they are scheduled on two or three days a week
TypeCredits Compulsory 18 Optional 12 Master Thesis 15 External Practicum 15 TOTAL 60 ModuleCreditsType External Work Experience 15 OB Genomics 6 OB Master's Dissertation 15 OB Methods and Techniques in Molecular Genetics 6 OB Recent Advances in Genetics 6 OB Advanced Genetic Improvements 6 OT* Applied Evolutive Genetics6 OT* Genetic Predisposition to Cancer 6 OT* Genetic Risk 6 OT*
* Optional, you must take 12 credits
Access to this master's degree is open to holders of an official bachelor's degree from a Spanish university or from another higher education institution within or outside the European Higher Education Area, provided this gives access to postgraduate studies in the country of issue.
The requirements for admission are:
* Three-year or four-year degree (licenciatura or grado ).
The selection criteria are:
* Relation between your access course or the content of your undergraduate credits and the Master'sdegree. The following three-year degrees (grados) are considered to be related to this Master'sdegree: Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, Medicine and other similar qualifications awarded in Spain or other countries.
* Your average grade for your university studies.
* Professional experience.
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.