|Application deadline:||12 October, 2014|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||January 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||60 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The master's degree in Cytogenetics and ReproductiveBiology is aimed at graduates in Biosciences. Students should have strong analytical skills, a proactive attitude and determination, and should have completed their bachelor's degree studies in Biomedical Sciences, Genetics, Biology or Biotechnology, or their equivalents from other universities.
This master's degree is suitable both for students who wish to go into research and for those interested in clinical practice, in the following areas: Assisted Reproduction in Humans and Animals, Embryology, Genetics of Reproduction, Genetics of Cancer, Clinical Cytogenetics, Evolutionary Cytogenetics and Radiobiology.
You will be enabled to develop the skills you acquire in professional, academic and research activities belonging to several specialised fields in the Biology of Cell Reproduction and Differentiation, in Basic and Applied Cytogenetics, Cancer and Radiobiology.
In morning and afternoon sessions.
The Master's degree in Cytogenetics and ReproductiveBiology aims principally to equip its students for professional activity in Cytogenetics or ReproductiveBiology, either in clinical practice or in research.
The degree comprises 60 ECTS credits and two specialisations: 1) Cytogenetics and 2) ReproductiveBiology. The total number of academic modules is 13, of which those taken in the first semester are theory-based, while those taken in the second involve putting the knowledge acquired into practice in different ways.
Study plan structure
Type / Credits
* Compulsory / 18
* Optional / 36
* Master's dissertation / 6
TOTAL - 60
Access to this master's degree is open to holders of an official bachelor's degree from a Spanish university or from another higher education institution within or outside the European Higher Education Area, provided this gives access to postgraduate studies in the country of issue.
Admission requirements are as follows:
* Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Genetics, Biotechnology, or their equivalents from other universities. Graduates in Microbiology or Biochemistry may also apply. In the latter cases, students' specific training in ReproductiveBiology and Cytogenetics is examined. If necessary, the master's committee will ask students to take bridging courses.
* Level B1 in Catalan or Spanish, in the case of students who do not have these as their first language. Students with no certificate of proficiency in these languages will be interviewed by the master's committee before a decision is taken on admittance or exclusion.
Should the number of applicants be higher than that of places on offer, these will be allocated according to the following criteria:
Academic transcript (60): Scoring will be based on the following criteria:
* Between 0 and 1 point = 30
* Between 1 and 1.5 points = 35
* Between 1.5 and 2 points = 40
* Between 2 and 2.5 points = 45
* Between 2.5 and 3 points = 50
* Over 3 points = 60
Students with a bachelor's degree in Microbiology or Biochemistry, depending on the courses they have taken, may need to take and pass bridging courses.
The Master's Committee will examine students' previous studies and determine whether bridging courses need to be taken or not.
Bridging courses comprise a maximum of 21 ECTS credits distributed among the following subjects belonging to the Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Sciences of the Faculty of Biosciences at the UAB:
* Cytogenetics, 6 ECTS credits
* Technology of Reproduction, 6 ECTS credits
* Human Genetics, 6 ECTS credits
* Genetics and Reproduction, 3 ECTS credits
Specific grants for this master's degree
At the UAB grants' website you will find information on financial aids, grants, competitions, prizes and subsidies for the university community. The portal includes aids offered by UAB and calls from other institutions that may be an interest for students.