Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The Master's programme in Economics at the University of Oslo is a specialised graduate degree offered by the Department of Economics at the Faculty of Social Sciences. The Master's programme in Economics leads to the title Master of Philosophy in Economics.
The programme provides rigorous training in modern economics covering a broad range of topics from micro- and macroeconomics, methodology and demography. The study programme encompasses both mandatory and optional courses. A list of optional courses may be found under
Admission to master's degree studies requires:
* Higher Education Entrance Qualification and a completed bachelor's degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor's degree. Applicants with foreign education, please refer to the country list.
* a specialization defined by the programme
* a minimum grade average of C (in Norwegian scale) or equivalent from the specialization in your degree.
* a language requirement documented by one of the tests/exams below:
a) Passed examination in English foundation course (140 hours/5 periods per week) in Norwegian upper secondary school with a minimum grade of 4 (or an equivalent grade from a Nordic upper secondary school) or alternatively passed examination in English from second and/or third school year, or
b) An internationally recognised English language proficiency test.
In addition to the requirements listed above, you need to meet the following academic admission requirements for the 2-year Master's programme in Economics:
* 10 ECTS-credits in mathematics
* 10 ECTS-credits in statistics and methods
* At least 70 ECTS-credits in economics *
This amounts to a total of 90 ECTS-credits that equals about 1 ½ years of study.
Among the courses in economics, at least 50 ECTS-credits must be within microeconomics and macroeconomics, with at least 20 ECTS-credits in each of these categories.
When considering applications from international students, the admission committee will look for applicants that meet these requirements as closely as possible. To ensure that the committee gets a good understanding of your background in economics please fill in the form List of Academic qualifications found here
Please note that accounting, auditing, marketing or management do not count as economics.
English proficiency required for master's degree admission
Applicants who are not native speakers of English must document their proficiency in English by taking one of the following internationally recognised tests:
IELTS and TOEFL test results must not be older than two years. Please make sure that your test result is valid at the time of application.
IELTS acadmic - International English Language Testing System with a minimum score of 6.0.
Please upload a copy of your test result. The University of Oslo will verify your test result online. It is currently not possible to submit test results with an IELTS institutional code.
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language with a minimum score of
* 550 paper-based test (PBT)
* 80 internet-based test (iBT)
Official test report forms must be sent directly to the University of Oslo. The TOEFL code number for the University of Oslo is 0756. If you upload a copy of your test result, please make sure that the results are also sent directly from ETS.
* Students who have completed a minimum of one year's university studies in academic subjects in UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia.
* Students who have completed a minimum of one year of Master's Degree studies with English as a language of instruction in one of the Nordic countries
* Students who have completed a Bachelor Degree with English as a language of instruction in one of the Nordic countries.
* Students who have a degree in English language and/or literature.
* Students with International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma.
* Students who have passed University of Cambridge exams, Proficiency (CPE) or Advanced (CAE).
* Students who have passed Advanced Placement International English Language examination (APIEL) with a minimum of 4 points.
* Other exemptions
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||550|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||80|