|Application deadline:||February 28|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Credits:|| 120 ECTS |
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Are you an ambitious person who wants to pursue a global career? Do you want to work in a multicultural business setting? Do you want to be involved in creating new markets or developing existing ones? Do you want to prepare yourself for the challenges that a globalized world presents to firms, governmental and third sector organizations?
If the answer is yes, keep on reading, this programme is just for you!
What will you learn in the programme?
The Master's Degree Programme in International Business (MIB) gives you the opportunity to realise your potential by offering courses that center around the three core areas in International Business: International Strategic Management, International Marketing and International Human Resource Management. By the end of the programme,
* You will understand the international strategic planning process, and learn to develop and manage internationalization strategies
* You will understand how to design and manage the international marketing strategies of firms at different phases of foreign market expansion, learn to establish and manage business networks and customer relationships and gain knowledge of how to communicate and negotiate in cross-cultural settings
* You will understand the role of the human resource management within multinational firms, acquire knowledge on how to develop global leadership, how to manage international teams and projects, and discover how to shape your own global career
In addition, through cooperation with high quality international partner universities we offer you the possibility of doing a double degree.
Why study in MIB?
You will study in a learning environment, which is
* You will study with students from around the world
* You will use English in your studies
* You will be taught by an international faculty
* You are taught using learning methods which emphasize your own role in collecting knowledge, analyzing and understanding it and applying it in different contexts
* You will take responsibility for your own development
* You will work with people who think differently , disagree with you and dont understand your logic
* You will learn to appreciate the value of diversity in teams
* You will undergo the process of personal development (in different areas)
* You will experience the positive feeling of exceeding your own expectations
Some examples of career prospects which MIB offers are export manager, country manager, key account manager, business analysts, consultant, human resource manager, project manager and entrepreneur.
After completing your studies in the MIB programme, you will be granted the degree of Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration.
MIB is also an excellent preparation for doctoral studies and an academic career in the fields of International Business, Marketing and Management.
MIB is EPAS accredited
EPAS is an international programme accreditation system operated by the EFMD that awards accreditation to high quality business or management programmes that are built around a strong international perspective. MIB is one of the two EPAS accredited Master's degree programme in Finland, and one of only around 50 EPAS accredited programmes in the world.
MIB focuses on the identification and management of challenges arising from planning, controlling and coordinating business operations on an international scale.
Based both on the required competencies of international managers as well as core areas of research within the University of Vaasa, the teaching on MIB centres around current theory and practice in three key areas of international business - international strategic management, international marketing management and international human resource management.
The study programme comprises 120 ECTS and leads to a Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration degree. The programme can be completed in two years.
Structure of the Programme
* Initial studies (10 ECTS)
* Compulsory core studies (35 ECTS)
* Optional studiel (20-30 ECTS)
* Language studies (10 ECTS)
* General Studies (5 ECTS)
* Master's research (30 ECTS)
Students are eligible for admission to the two-year Masters Degree Programme in International Business (MIB programme) if they have completed a Bachelors degree in an appropriate field. The MIB programme is open both for international and Finnish applicants.
Approximately 25 students are accepted to the programme each year. Application deadline is 28 February annually.
Evaluation of the applications
To be considered for admission to the programme, the applicant must fulfil the following criteria:
1. Scope of the degree
* A 3- or 4-year Bachelor degree at university or polytechnic level
2. Prior studies at Bachelor level or higher in the core areas of the programme
* For the MIB programme these areas are: international business, marketing, and management and organisation
3. Applicants performance (i.e. GPA) in previous studies, including the thesis or final report (i.e. the final assignment students must complete in circumstances where a thesis is not used)
* The overall grade (GPA) and the grade of the thesis for a Bachelors degree from a university should be at least good 3/5 (ECTS grading), or equivalent in the systems not using the ECTS.
* The overall grade (GPA) and the grade of the thesis or final report for a Bachelors degree from a polytechnic or university of applied sciences should be at least very good 4/5 (ECTS grading).
4. English language proficiency, which can be proved in one of the following ways:
* TOEFL test results with minimum score of 580 in paper-based test, 213 in computer-based test or 92 in iBT (University of Vaasas TOEFL institution code is 0647)
* IELTS test results (academic band) with minimum score of 6.5 (each section minimum 5.5)
* PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English, Academic band) results with a minimum score of 62
* National Certificate of Language Proficiency (arranged by Finnish National Board of Education) with an average language skill level 5 or 6 in the English language
* CPE test (Certificate of Proficiency in English) with pass grade A, B or C
* CAE test (Certificate in Advanced English) with pass grade A, B or C
* Certificate of secondary education completed in English in EU / EEA countries, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa
* Certificate of English as the A language (i.e. mother tongue) as a part of International Baccalaureate degree, or as the LI (i.e. mother tongue) or the LII (i.e. as the official language) as a part of European Baccalaureate degree
* Bachelor's or Master's degree (or equivalent) completed in English in one of the EU / EEA countries, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. If the language of instruction (English) is not clearly stated in the degree certificate, it is to be verified by a certificate signed by a university official
* English as the major subject in Bachelor's or Master's degree
* Certificate of English as a foreign language in a Finnish university degree
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|60 (Grade C)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||580|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||92|
The University of Vaasa does not offer scholarships for international students. Degree students are eligible for a Finnish state scholarship and a state-guaranteed bank loan only if they have lived in Finland for at least two years in some capacity other than that of a student and if their residence in Finland can be considered to be of a permanent nature. Those who have sufficient other income or who progress poorly in their studies are not eligible for support. As a rule, foreigners who have lived in Finland for less than two years are not eligible for financial support unless specific reasons make their residence in Finland permanent. More information may be obtained from the Academic Affairs Office at the University or at Kela office.
Some scholarship schemes for international students are offered by CIMO (Centre for International Mobility).
Please note that the University of Vaasa does not have scholarship programmes and cannot offer any financial aid for international students. The programmes are also full-time programmes and thus working is not an option when it comes to financing the studies in Finland.
The EPAS evaluation process considers programme delivery and design, programme outcomes, and quality assurance. The quality of education, international aspects and corporate interaction are also emphasized in the evaluation process.