Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
The Master's Degree Programme in International Business is a two-year, full-time programme focusing on the identification and management of challenges arising from planning, controlling and coordinating business activities on an international scale. Based both on the required competence of international managers today as well as core areas of research within the University of Vaasa, the teaching on the programme centres around current theory and practice in three key aspects of international business - international strategic management, international marketing management, and international human resource management.
Besides these three key areas, the programme offers students a range of country-focused studies which prepare students to do business in key emerging markets. Teaching on the programme is supported by high-quality, and internationally recognized research groups that have been rewarded several times for their contributions to the international academic community.
The programme is looking for students who have a good academic record from their previous studies in a relevant subject (business studies/economics), have a genuine interest in international aspects of business and management, have worked or intend to work in an international organisation, and who are committed to studying an intensive two-year programme which leads to a Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration degree. The intake of the Master's Degree Programme in International Business is 25 students.
The Masters Degree Programme in International Business focuses on the identification and management of challenges arising from planning, controlling and coordinating business operations on an international scale. Based both on the required competencies of international managers as well as core areas of research within the University of Vaasa, the teaching on the programme centres around current theory and practice in three key areas of international business international strategic management, international marketing management and international human resource management.
Studies in International Strategic Management will create a basis for understanding and analysing the strategic decisions of multinational firms. Students will come to understand the international strategic planning process, learn to develop and manage internationalization strategies and be able to select appropriate international business operation modes.
International Marketing Management studies will help students to plan and manage international marketing strategies and business networks across borders. More specifically, students will able to design and manage the international marketing strategies of firms at different phases of foreign market expansion, learn to establish and manage business networks and customer relationships, and gain knowledge of how to communicate and negotiate in cross-cultural settings.
International Human Resource Management modules introduce students to the challenges presented in managing an international and diverse workforce. Students will understand the role of the human resource management function within multinational firms, acquire knowledge on how to develop global leadership, how to manage international teams and projects, and discover how to shape their own global careers.
Besides these three key areas of international business, the programme offers students several area-focused courses which prepare students to do business in specific parts of world, as well as electives that allow students to deepen their knowledge in other areas of international business.
The programme prepares students for careers in internationalising and already multinational firms, whether this is work in international positions, different kinds of international assignments, or involvement in international projects and teams. In addition, the programme offers a good foundation for working in internationally-oriented governmental organisations or in research- and teaching-related positions. The programme also prepares students for an academic career and provides eligibility for further studies.
The programme supports and guides students in developing a range of key skills that they can take with them into their future careers. The key skills fall under four skill categories: 1) academic skills, 2) self-management skills, 3) communications skills and 4) interpersonal skills. Through the use of personal skill development plans that are discussed with programme tutors, students are encouraged to develop their key skills via both curricular and non-curricular activities and to take responsibility for their own personal and professional development.
The programme also seeks to instil the following attitudes in its students:
Global mindset (attitude towards the world): Openness to and awareness of the big picture and changes in the global business environment, whilst understanding the need to strike a balance between strategic integration and responsiveness to local markets
Customer orientation (attitude towards customers): Understanding the importance of customer relationships and a service mentality
Valuing diversity (attitude towards others): Respect for the talents and beliefs of others regardless of background
Integrity & responsibility (attitude towards society and the environment): Honesty, strong moral principles, and an awareness of how business can impact society and the environment
Structure of the programme
INITIAL STUDIES (10 ECTS)
* MARK2029 Export Marketing 5 ECTS
* JOHT2005 International Management 5 ECTS
COMPULSORY CORE STUDIES [40 ECTS]
* JOHT3010 International Human Resource Management 5 ECTS
* MARK3023Internationalization Strategies of the Firm 5 ECTS
* MARK3025 Global Marketing Management 5 ECTS
* JOHT3036 Leadership 5 ECTS
* JOHT3003 International Strategic Management 5 ECTS
* MARK3026 Managing International Business Networks 5 ECTS
* MARK3024 International Business Negotiations 5 ECTS
* MARK3013 Cross Cultural Marketing Communications 5 ECTS
OPTIONAL STUDIES [20-30 ECTS]
* JOHT3002 Cross Cultural Management 5 ECTS
* MARK2013 International Business Operation Modes 5 ECTS
* JOHT3052 Strategic Management of Information Systems 5 ECTS
* MARK2019 Global Sourcing and Procurement 5 ECTS
* JOHT3019 Project Management 5 ECTS
* JOHT3004 Diversity Management 5 ECTS
* MARK2024 Doing Business in Asia 5 ECTS
* MARK2027 Business Operations in Eastern Europe 5 ECTS
* MARK2018 Marketing Strategies and Management in CEE 5 ECTS
* LASK3003 Investment and Finance in Russia 5 ECTS
* TOIK2032 Legal Foundations of Russian Economy 5 ECTS
* LASK3017 Corporate Finance 5 ECTS
* INTB3003 Internship 5 ECTS
* Other studies (in Finnish or English) 5 ECTS
LANGUAGE STUDIES [10 ECTS]
* KENG6211/KENG9211 Writing Academic English I 3 ECTS
* KENG6311/KENG9311 Writing Academic English II 2 ECTS
* II vieras kieli (for Finnish students) (For international students: KSUO5111 Finnish for Foreigners I) 5 ECTS
GENERAL STUDIES [5 ECTS]
* FILO1011 Philosophy of Science 3 ECTS
* INTB3004 Business Ethics 5 ECTS
* INTB3002 Research Methodologies 10 ECTS (2 ECTS)
(including module on Informational Skills II, 2 ECTS
* MARK3012/JOHT3025 Masters Thesis 30 ECTS
To be considered for admission to the programme, the applicant must fulfil the following criteria:
1. Scope of the degree
* A 3- or 4-year Bachelor degree at university or polytechnic level
2. Prior studies at Bachelor level or higher in the core areas of the programme
* For the MIB programme these areas are: international business, marketing, and management and organisation
3. Applicants performance (i.e. GPA) in previous studies, including the thesis or final report (i.e. the final assignment students must complete in circumstances where a thesis is not used)
* The overall grade (GPA) and the grade of the thesis for a Bachelors degree from a university should be at least good 3/5 (ECTS grading), or equivalent in the systems not using the ECTS.
* The overall grade (GPA) and the grade of the thesis or final report for a Bachelors degree from a polytechnic or university of applied sciences should be at least very good 4/5 (ECTS grading).
4. English language proficiency, which can be proved in one of the following ways:
* TOEFL -test with minimum score of 550 in paper-based test, 213 in computer-based test or 79 in iBT (The University of Vaasa TOEFL code is 0647)
* IELTS test (Academic) with minimum score of 6.0 (each section minimum 5.5)
* Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) with pass grade A, B or C
* Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) with pass grade A, B or C
* National Certificate of Language Proficiency (arranged by Finnish National Board of Education) with an average language skill level 5 or 6 in the English language
* Certificate of secondary education completed in English in EU / EEA countries, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa
* Certificate of English as the A language (i.e. mother tongue) as a part of International Baccalaureate degree, or as the LI (i.e. mother tongue) or the LII (i.e. as the official language) as a part of European Baccalaureate degree
* Bachelor's or Master's degree (or equivalent) completed in English in one of the EU / EEA countries, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. If the language of instruction (English) is not clearly stated in the degree certificate, it is to be verified by a certificate signed by a university official
* English as the major subject in Bachelor's or Master's degree
* Certificate of English as a foreign language in a Finnish university degree
|CAE score:||60(Grade A)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score:||550|
|TOEFL computer-based test score:||213|
|TOEFL internet-based test score:||79|
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.