|Application deadline:||May 16, 2014 for non-European; July 12, 2014 for European|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014, September 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):|| 120 ECTS Details |
Each year is split into two semesters with 30 ECTS credits for each.
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The first year is dedicated to general scientific lectures and is common to all students of the Master of Applied Mechanics (SMA). In second year, they can choose among several independant programs, including the Hydrodynamics and Ocean Engineering program.
The language of instruction and examination in 100% English during the first year including 160 hours of French language courses.
During the 2d year, courses and Master thesis are either in French or in English language.
The aim of the Hydrodynamics and Ocean Engineering M2 program is to give students an advanced training on typical problems of hydrodynamics applied to naval architecture and ocean engineering: ship resistance, seakeeping, ship behaviour in irregular seas, water waves and marine environment... physical, modelling and numerical aspects are studied.
Training involves theoritical courses on typical problems of hydrodynamics: ship resistance, wave induced motions, wave and marine environment modeling ... and numerical methods used to solve these problems.
A large part of the training is also dedicated to practical use of softwares to solve problems defined above through a large variety of numerical methods: boundary elements or spectral methods under potential flow theory, finite-difference or finite-volume techniques in solvers for viscous flows, Smooth Particles Hydrodynamics (SPH) ...
Students are also involved in practical work in experimental facilities of the Fluid Mechanics Laboratory of Centrale Nantes (towing tank, wave tank equipped with an multiflap wave generator ...).
The Master thesis can be undertaken at Centrale Nantes within the Hydrodynamics and Ocean Engineering research team or in other laboratories in France or abroad (IST Lisbon, NTNU at Trondheim, INSEAN Roma, University of Auckland ...) or in industry. Both numerical or experimental studies can be tackled during this period.
The duration of the Masters of Science in Applied Mechanics courses is two academic years (120 ECTS credits). Each year is split into two semesters with 30 ECTS credits for each.
The 1st-year study programme is the same for all the Masters of Science in Applied Mechanics even though the elective track is different. The language of instruction and examination is English.
* French language I+II
* Probalitity and statistics
* Programming languages
* Numerical methods
* Continuum mechanics and vibrations
* Fluid mechanics I
* French language III
* Industrial knowledge
* Numerical analysis
* Mechanical design technology
Engineering materials Structural mechanics Constitutive laws Computer-aided mechanical design
* Ship resistance
* Ship behaviour in irregular seas
* Viscous fluids in hydrodynamics
* Numerical method in hydrodynamics
* Water waves and marine
* Specific methods for free surface problems
Niveau(x) de recrutement
A-level + 3
Students must hold a first university degree after at least three years of studies (Bachelor of Science or 180 credits in the European system or equivalent).
Applicants must be fluent in English, both in writing and speaking. An applicant whose native language is not English is required to pass a recognized international English test such as the TOEFL or other equivalent.
A possibility for directly integrating the second year is opened and discussed by the Admission committee
FULL Scholarships with ERASMUS MUNDUS
Centrale Nantes has been awarded several Erasmus Mundus Partnership projects this year again. In 2014/2015, international Master and PhD students can beneficiate from full or partial scholarships funded by the European commission in the Erasmus Mundus framework.
Scholarships (For students coming from)
* Bangladesh, Bouhtan, China, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Malaisia, Thailand
* Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya
* Armenia, Azerbaïdjan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine
EU-METALIC I (2d cohort with Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya) : Application until October 25, 2013
Attractive scholarships are offered to international students on 3 Erasmus Mundus Masters and 1 Erasmus Mundus PhD:
* Master of Science in Computational Mechanics
* European Master on Advanced Robotics (EMARO)
* EMship Advanced Design Master
Joint PhD: Simulation in Engineering and Entrepreneurship Development (SEED)
ATTRACTIVE SCHOLARSHIPS are available for excellent academic-background students mainly via our corporate partnership, our involvement in prestigious European programmes, French governement fundings and the Fondation CENTRALE Initiatives.
* Michelin scholarships MICHELIN, prestigious Centrale Nantes industrial partner, offers full scholarships to Indian students accepted on one of the Masters of Centrale Nantes.
* EIFFEL Scholarships (Egide) Many international students preparing a Double Degree obtain this Eiffel prestigious scholarship.
* Centrale Nantes scholarships of Excellence Intake 2013: The Centrale Nantes Excellence Scholarship will be granted to 2013 international preaccepted Masters of Sciences candidates.
* Fondation CENTRALE Initiatives grants 13 foreign students from various programmes and various nationalities rewarded with grants from the Fondation Centrale Initiatives.
* TOTAL scholarships Each year, TOTAL offers attractive scholarships to foreign students accepeted on the Masters of Centrale Nantes.
* Bourse Accueil - Regional (local) government Students selected from Ecole Centrale de Nantes and preparing a Double Degree or an Erasmus Mundus Master can be applicant of this scholarship.
* Grants from the French government The French governement located in several countries helps the international students of Ecole Centrale de Nantes, recently in Indonesia.
Other scholarships from industries or governments are offered.
More information, please contact
* Ms Anne-Laure Frémondière