This course gives students all skills needed to address a wide range of job opportunities:
- those looking for a job in a technology related area have an opportunity to develop the advanced skills needed in a high-tec environment, learning how to model and analyze the behavior of complex systems, how to design complex measurement systems and how to use state-of-the-art scientific and engineering instrumentation and advanced computer systems.
- those who see their future in research have an opportunity to gain a deep theoretical and experimental understanding of the main areas of modern physics, as well as an early research experience, working on projects and stages done in close contact with researchers pursuing their work.
- for those who see thier future in teaching, our M. Sc. programme is the starting point to enter the accreditation process to become a High School teacher.
Regardless of their specific interests and motivation, our M.Sc. graduates have a deep understanding of the main areas of modern physics, at the theoretical and experimental level, a working knowledge of the main experimental and data handling techniques and a full appreciation of the scientific method.Following her/his own specific interests students may choose among several key areas of physics, including Astrophysics, Space Physics and Physical Cosmology, Condensed Matter, Medical Physics, Nuclear and Subnuclear Physics, Material Science and Technology, Theoretical Physics, Computational Physics.
Our M. Sc. programme belongs to a "double degree" programme with Universite' Paris Sud. All students may apply to the "double degree" programme. Succesfull applicants spend one year in Ferrara and one year in Paris, and both Institution award a M. Sc. Degree.
M. Sc. graduate may continue their academic training as graduate students, applying for the Ph. D. programme offered by the Department.
Physics graduates will complete their academic career by obtaining the Master Degree in Physics and then work and specialize with teachers and researchers from the Physics Department in the following fields: Astrophysics and Space Physics, Medical Physics, Nuclear and Subnuclear Physics, Solid State Physics and Technology, Theoretical Physics.
The Master in Physics is a degree requested for access to a PhD School in Physics or to a second level Master in Physics.This 2-year specialization school aims at preparing graduates with deeper and advanced knowledge in theoretical and experimental Physics, together with a specialized expertise in the chosen field. The student of such school, i.e. an LT graduate, will be able after completion to:
Accredited by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (Ministero dell' istruzione, Universita' e Ricerca, MIUR).
You can apply until:
Always verify the dates on the programme website.
Generally, the aforementioned requirements are met by candidates who possess a bachelor degree in Physics, or Italian Laurea Triennale belonging to the so-called class L-30 (DM 270/2004), class 25 (ex DM 509/1999), or have a certified foreign bachelor degree. A good command of spoken and written english is also required.
The evaluation of the applicant’s qualifications and Physics background will be done by an Evaluation Committee appointed by the CCS, via an admission interview on the basic knowledge requested and the applicant’s scientific background required for acceptance, in order to determine:
1. Acceptance of the applicants for registration.
2. Structure of courses avoiding repetition of already known subjects and considering the applicant’s own interests.
Scholarships and financial aid
All students (Italian or otherwise) are entitled to the same student assistance service. This applies to scholarships, student loans, housing assistance, lunch tickets and fee waivers. These services are managed by the DSU office (Diritto allo studio universitario).Alongside scholarship and financial aid information, DSU offices will also provide other services such as counselling and information on extra curricular activities, sport, transport and other practical matters.
StudyPortals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Testimonial Registration Module
Together with the ISIC Association and British Council IELTS, StudyPortals offers you the chance to receive up to £10000 to expand your horizon and study abroad. We want to ultimately encourage you to study abroad in order to experience and explore new countries, cultures and languages.