Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
The MSc in Enterprise, Environment and Place is a research training Masters degree that provides the skills necessary to undertake a PhD in Human Geography. Its recognition by the UKs Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) means that applicants are eligible to apply for 1+3 funding for Masters and PhD or, on successful completion, can apply to ESRC for +3 funding for a PhD. (see below).
The MSc provides rigorous research skills with a focus on three areas of specialism, which reflect the research and teaching strengths of the School:
* The Economy and Enterprise pathway, which focuses on enterprise formation and management, local economic development and the geographies of economies
* The Environment, Risk and Society pathway, which explores the relationship between business and the environment, as well as environmental management and decision-making
* The Research in Human Geography pathway, which includes a broadly human geography focus but can also be combined with language study (such as Russian or Spanish)
Research in Human Geography is one of the UK's longest-running research training Masters programmes in human geography. Former students taking this Masters have developed successful academic, business and policy-based careers.
The programme draws upon the research strengths of the School and reflects our long tradition of providing world-class training in economic geography, as well as the environment.
The programme combines interdisciplinary expertise from Geography, Political Science and International Studies, Sociology and Social Policy, and is truly multidisciplinary. You will interact with other MSc students from across the social sciences and thereby gain a unique breadth of academic research, teaching and key transferable skills.
In addition to exposing you to cutting-edge debates in human geography, economic geography, environmental science and related fields, the programme provides research training in theoretical, philosophical and methodological issues relevant to human geography and social science research. These include debates concerning social theory and epistemology, qualitative and quantitative techniques and their application to human geography, and research design, ethics and presentation.
Graduates have continued to PhD research at GEES and elsewhere (eg Oxford) and others are employed in policy development and international finance.
Our ESRC recognised MSc Enterprise, Environment and Place provides enhanced research training for those intending to undertake PhD research, or who want to acquire rigorous research skills more generally in the context of three areas of specialism.
This innovative MSc programme contains three pathways which reflect the research and teaching strengths of the School:
* the Economy and Enterprise pathway, which focuses on enterprise formation and management, local economic development and the geographies of economies
* the Environment, Risk and Society pathway, which explores the relationship between business and the environment as well as exploring environmental management and decision making
* the Research in Human Geography pathway, which includes a broadly Human Geography focus, but can also be combined with language study (such as Russian or Spanish)
Aims of the Programme
* to develop deeper understanding of advanced level theoretical, philosophical and methodological debates in contemporary human geographies and related social sciences;
* to provide advanced training in social science research methodologies and their application in social research in general and human geography in particular;
* to develop a student's ability to communicate ideas and research effectively.
* to develop specialist research-grounded expertise in one or a combination of three specialist areas.
The Programme Team
The Programme Team comprises a core group of staff in Human Geography and scholars from the Department of Cultural Studies and Sociology, the Institute for Applied Social Studies, and the Institute for German Studies.
* Normally a good Honours degree or equivalent in Geography or a related discipline.
* IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any band.
* TOEFL 580 Paper- based test / 237 Computer-based test.
|CAE score:||80(Grade C)|
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.