Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme is designed to enable you to further develop your knowledge of current health care at the depth and breadth appropriate to Masters level work. In planning the programme and its delivery, we have sought to create a student-centred, flexible programme that enables you to select modules that meet your individual learning needs, career aspirations and interests.
The scope and flexibility of the programme will appeal to individuals with a theoretical interest in health-related issues, and is particularly suited to those who are seeking a non-clinical programme of study. The programme is open to health care professionals or individuals with an interest in health.
The Health Studies Masters programme offers you:
* Flexible study which can be organised around your other commitments
* The support of a personal tutor and dissertation supervisor
* The chance to tailor the programme to your own individual learning needs
* A research led environment with opportunities for diverse dissertation projects
On completion of the Health Studies Masters programme you will be able to:
* Analyse critically a range of health related issues.
* Critically evaluate approaches and methodologies appropriate for researching theoretical and practical issues relating to practice
* Take responsibility for your own continuing professional development and demonstrate enhanced skills of self-appraisal, self-assessment and independence in your approach to learning
* Evaluate critically the dimensions of practice and organisation that characterise contemporary health care
* Examine critically the nature of multidisciplinary and interprofessional working in health care
* Formulate a justifiable research design, conduct an investigation and to produce a written report, worthy of academic scrutiny
You will take the following three mandatory modules.
* Developing Evidence Based Practice (20 credits)
* Advancing Practice through Personal and Professional Development (20 credits)
* Research Dissertation MSc only (60 credits)
In addition, you will choose four option modules to the value of 80 credits (subject to availability and viability).
For this programme, it is also possible to take relevant M Level modules from within the College. These would form part of the optional modules you are to choose as part of the MSc Health Studies programme. Our optional modules are each worth 20 credits, therefore, if you wish to take modules on offer within the College, these will also need to equate to 20 credits.
Optional Modules within Nursing and Physiotherapy (no pre-requisites)- please select 80 credits from the following 2 sets of options
* Current Issues in Health (20 credits)
* Project Management and Research Governance (20 credits)
* Work Based Continuous Professional Development (20 credits)
Optional Modules within Nursing and Physiotherapy (there may be pre-requisites you need to fulfil to choose these options)
* From Neurons to Society (20 credits)
* Specialist Neurological Rehabilitation 1: Cognitive Neuropsychological Basis of Practice (10 credits)
* Advanced Manipulative Physiotherapy 1
* Advanced Manipulative Physiotherapy 2
* Admission to the programme is on the basis that applicants will have a BSc/BA Honours degree or equivalent. (Evidence of equivalence of your qualification(s) to the UK educational system of awards can be found at The degree should normally be a first- or upper second-class Honours degree.
You will also need to submit the following documentation in support of your application:
* two academic/employer references in support of your application and professional and practical capabilities;
* transcripts of your degrees so far (certified and translated in to English if appropriate).
* IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any band.
* TOEFL Internet based 88 overall with no less than 21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking, 21 in Writing
|CAE score:||80 (Grade A)|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||88|
Scholarships may be available. International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
See the University of Birmingham Website for more details on fees and funding.
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.