Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The Institute of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (IOEM) is a World Health Organisation Collaboration Centre in Occupational Health and has links with scientists in many countries, including Norway, Finland, United States, Taiwan, China, Chile and Brazil.
The IOEM conducts research and teaching programmes in occupational and environmental medicine, including occupational epidemiology, ergonomics, toxicology, hygiene, and other related disciplines. The main focus of activity is related to the assessment and management of risks arising from work activities.
We have a history of welcoming both home and international students and many alumni maintain contact with the Institute, allowing us to continually build working relationships at a national and international level. Research is divided into two overlapping and complementary areas:
* Environment-oriented areas, which follow the tradition of preventive medicine with a focus on causal determinants
* Outcome-oriented areas, which are based on clinical medicine and epidemiology
Doctoral and masters students are encouraged to seek the support and advice of senior staff for their studies and research career.
Type of Course: Doctoral research
Duration: PhD: 3 years full-time, 6 years part-time; MPhil: 1 year full-time, 2 years part-time
Start date: Research degrees may start at any time of the year, though for most this will be September 2012
Research interests of staff
* Outdoor air pollution; indoor air pollution; environmental burden and pathways; occupational lung disease. Professor John Ayres
Tel: +44 (0)121 414 6023
Dr Hubert Lam
Tel: +44 (0)121 4148117
* Occupational exposure assessment; methods for evaluating exposure to workplace hazards and effectiveness of control measures; risk assessment methodology for human health integrating exposures from occupational and environmental sources; use of bio-engineering techniques in occupational setting for assessing effectiveness of dermal protection methods; European risk assessment methods for metals. Dr Steven Sadhra
Tel: +44 (0)121 414 6008
* Occupational epidemiology: cohort, case-control, cross-sectional and nested case-control study designs; role of causal effects, bias, confounding and chance in epidemiological findings; measure of effect and causal inference; the identification and quantification of occupational cancer hazards. Professor Tom Sorahan
Tel: +44 (0)121 414 3644
- PhD: 2:1 (Hons) in a relevant subject or 2:2 (Hons) plus a Masters degree (with merit/distinction)
- MSc by research: 2:1 (Hons) in a relevant subject)
English language requirements
* IELTS 7.0 with no less than 6.5 in any band
* TOEFL 600 Paper-based test /250 Computer-based test
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IELTS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|200 (Grade A)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||600|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||95|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Per 6 April 2015 only the English language tests from IELTS and Trinity College London are accepted for Tier 4 Visa applications to the United Kingdom. Other tests (including TOEFL, TOEIC, Pearson, City & Guilds) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. Since the Trinity College London language tests must be taken in one of their exam centres in the UK, IELTS is now the only language test accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK that can be taken worldwide.
Sign in to find more related scholarships for this programme.
Not a member yet? Create an account and join +150 000 StudyPortals members.
Fortunately enough I was able to find StudyPortals. Right from the start of the application to getting the confirmation of admission I was using StudyPortals.
Sign up for your personal newsletter and we will help you too.
We will send you all the information you need to find your dream study programme!