|Application deadline:||as early as possible|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Credits:|| 90 ECTS |
Total Kent credits: 180
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
In 2011, we updated our MSc in Statistics and introduced a new MSc in Statistics with Finance. Research projects have a good blend of theory and applications. We encourage all postgraduate Statistics students to take part in statistics seminars and to help in tutorial classes
This 12 month postgraduate statistics course aims to train students for careers using Statistics in the financial services industry. Graduates will study the statistical modelling underpinning much modern financial engineering combined with a deep understanding of core statistical concepts.
Statistics at Kent provides:
* a programme that gives you the opportunity to develop practical, mathematical and computing skills in statistics, while working on challenging and important problems relevant to a broad range of potential employers
* teaching and supervision by staff who are research-active, with established reputations and who are accessible, supportive and genuinely interested in your work
* advanced and accessible computing and other facilities
* a congenial work atmosphere with pleasant surroundings and location, where you can socialise and discuss issues with a community of other students
This 12 month postgraduate statistics course aims to train students for careers using Statistics in the financial services industry. Graduates will study the statistical modelling underpinning much modern financial engineering combined with a deep understanding of core statistical concepts. The Royal Statistical Society (RSS), which has accredited the programme, has extensive information about career opportunities in statistics.
This newly introduced programme trains students for careers using statistics in the financial services industry. You study the statistical modelling underpinning much modern financial engineering combined with a deep understanding of core statistical concepts. The course includes modelling of financial time series, risk and multivariate techniques.
You gain experience of analysing real data problems through practical classes and exercises. The course includes training in the computer language R.
You undertake a substantial project in the area of finance or financial econometrics, supervised by an experienced researcher. Some projects are focused on the analysis of particular complex data sets while others are more concerned with generic methodology.
The following modules are indicative of those offered on this programme. This list is based on the current curriculum and may change year to year. Most programmes will require you to study a combination of compulsory and optional modules. You may also have the option to take modules from other programmes so that you may customise your programme and explore other subject areas that interest you.
* MA835 - Portfolio Theory and Asset Pricing Models
* MA837 - Mathematics of Financial Derivatives
* MA889 - Analysis of Large Data Sets
* MA890 - Practical Statistics and Computing
* MA867 - Project
* MA881 - Probability and Classical Inference
* MA882 - Advanced Regression Modelling
* MA883 - Bayesian Statistics
* MA886 - Modelling of Time - Dependent Data and Financial
* MA887 - Stochastic Processes and Insurance Risk
Assessment is through coursework and formal examinations.
A minimum of 2.2, with a substantial amount of mathematics at university level. Prior experience of finance is not required
| CAE score: (read more) |
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever.
|75 (Grade B)|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||90|
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.
University of Kent awards
Templeman Scholarship - exclusively for Kent graduates
* Offers tuition fees for one year.
* Open to full-time taught Master's applicants who are Kent graduates.
Alumni Postgraduate Research Scholarship - exclusively for Kent graduates
* Offers home-rate tuition fees plus maintenance award (£13,863 for 2014-15)
* Open to full-time doctoral applicants who are Kent alumni.
Graduate School Scholarship - exclusively for Kent graduates
* £1,000 tuition fee reduction (£500 over two years for part-time students).
* Open to 2014 Kent graduates who are registered at Kent by 1 October 2014 for a self-funded postgraduate degree programme.
Loyalty discount - exclusively for Kent graduates
* 10% discount on the first year of postgraduate tuition fees.
* Open to alumni, siblings/children of alumni, husband and wife studying together for further degrees.
100 50th anniversary Research Scholarships
* PhD scholarships offered at the standard UK Research Councils rate (£13,863 for 2014-15).
* Applicants must hold a first or 2i hons degree / Masters at merit or distinction and meet other criteria.
* Applicants must be eligible to register no later than 1 October 2014.
* Open to applicants from any country. Please note that overseas students must have the appropriate documentation to evidence eligibility to work in the UK. Further information can be found here.
* The scholarships are administered under the Graduate Teaching Assistantship Scheme. See below.
Medway Community Scholarships
* £1,000 financial support, and advice, training and guidance to help you deliver your project
* Applicants must not hold another Music or Sport scholarship.
* Open to all applicants registered or due to register at Medway.
Graduate Teaching Assistantships
* Varies from a few hundred pounds to the standard UK Research Councils rate (£13,863 for 2014-15).
* GTAs are employed to teach alongside their studies and must meet criteria specific to the academic school.
* Open to applicants from any country subject to visa and residency requirements.
University of Kent at Paris Scholarship
* £25,000 scholarship fund.
* Applicants must hold a relevant first-class Bachelor's degree (or specified equivalent) and meet other criteria.
* Open to UK, EU and overseas fee-paying applicants.
University of Kent at Rome Scholarship
* Fee waiver and maintenance stipend of £13,590.
* Applicants must hold a relevant first-class Bachelor's Degree (or specified equivalent) and meet other criteria.
* Open to UK, EU and overseas fee-paying applicants.
Christine and Ian Bolt Scholarship
* Open to full-time Kent postgraduate students whose research material is located in the USA.
* Offers up to £10,000 (to include tuition fees) for one year in support of a sustained period of research in the USA.
The Dora Harvey Memorial Research Scholarship
* Open to full-time UK, EU and overseas fee-paying applicants.
* Covers tuition fees for a female Faculty of Social Sciences PhD student at the home/EU rate.
European jointly supervised PhDs (Cotutelle) Scholarship
* Open to full-time EU (non UK) applicants of University of Kent jointly supervised PhDs (Cotutelle).
* Offers 50% off tuition fees at the Home/EU rate for one year.
* Covers tuition fees for a programme of study.
* Applicants must be (or be dependents of) serving or former members of Gurkha brigades located in Kent, and meet other criteria.
* Open to full-time applicants from any country.
* Open to eligible students from Iberian or Latin American countries.
* Offers £5,000 (for one year) towards a full-time taught or research Masters degree at the University of Kent.
Music Performance Scholarship (Music at Kent website)
* Up to £5,000 pa which includes provision for instrumental/vocal tuition (up to £500 pa).
* Applicants must meet a range of specified criteria.
* Open to all new students from any country.