The Master's program in Economics (LMEC) from the University of Bologna aims at providing a rigorous training in economics. Students who complete the program will be endowed with the skills required for a technically demanding job or admission to excellent doctoral programs worldwide.
At the end of the LMEC students will have acquired a thorough knowledge of macroeconomics, microeconomics and econometrics. The program favors research methods and thus leads to advanced command over quantitative tools within a multi-disciplinary context.
Many LMEC graduates choose to pursue doctoral studies. In the last few years, LMEC students were admitted to prestigious Ph.D. programs in Economics at top ranked schools such as MIT, University of Pennsylvania, Northwestern University, Berkeley, British Columbia, Boston University, Boston College, Rice University, London School of Economics, Pompeu Fabra, Mannheim, Stockholm School of Economics, Warwick, Zurich, and others.
Graduates who do not go on to PhD find employment mostly in the private sector. Employment opportunities of LMEC graduates in recent years have been mostly in international firms in management and financial consultancy, or in firms offering specialized business services, such as Accenture, Brunswick Group, BPER, CRIF, Deloitte, DM Digital S.R.L., EUROGROUP, Econex, EY, KPMG, Moore Stephens, Prometeia S.p.A, UniCredit Business Integrated Solutions, UniCredit Management Consultancy, Xeos.it. In these firms, LMEC graduates work as business and financial consultants and analysts or as data analysts. A few graduates are working as managers in international firms in different sectors, such as Amazon, Johnson & Johnson, Standard Chartered Bank. Other graduates have undertaken internships in institutions and international organizations, such as Bank of Italy, European Central Bank, European Commission, or were hired as junior research assistants in research institutions in Italy or abroad.
One activity to be chosen among:
Three activities to be chosen among:
One activity to be chosen among:
You can apply until:
Always verify the dates on the programme website.
You only need to take one of these language tests:
The IELTS – or the International English Language Test System – tests your English-language abilities (writing, listening, speaking, and reading) on a scale of 1.00–9.00. The minimum IELTS score requirement refers to which Overall Band Score you received, which is your combined average score. Read more about IELTS.Take IELTS test
The TOEFL – or Test OF English as a Foreign Language – offers a paper-based test (PBT). The final, overall PBT score ranges between 310 and 677, and is based on an average taken from the three test components (listening, structure, and reading). The writing part of this test is scored separately on a scale of 0-6. Read more about TOEFL (PBT).
The TOEFL – or Test Of English as a Foreign Language – offers an internet-based test (iBT). The final, overall iBT score ranges between 0 and 120, and includes a scaled average from the four components (reading, listening, speaking, and writing). Read more about TOEFL (iBT).
1. Admission to the 2nd cycle degree programme in Economics is subject to the possession of appropriate knowledge of economic theory and quantitative analysis.
2. Admission to the 2nd cycle degree programme is also subject to the possession of the following curricular requirements:
- A 1st cycle degree in one of the following classes, or other suitable qualification obtained abroad:
ex Italian Ministerial Decree no. 270/04: L-33 Economic Sciences L-18 Economic and Business Management Sciences L-36 Political Sciences and International Relations L-41 Statistics L-9 Industrial Engineering L-30 Physical Sciences and Technologies L-31 Computer Sciences and Technologies L-35 Mathematical Sciences
ex. Italian Ministerial Decree no. 509/99: class 28 (Economic Sciences) class17 (Economic and Business Management Sciences) class 15
(Political Sciences and International Relations) class 37 (Statistical Sciences) class 10 (Industrial Engineering) class 25
(Physical Sciences and Technologies) class 26 (Computer Sciences and Technologies) class 32 (Mathematical Sciences)
Previous four-year degree programme system: Degree in Economic Policy, Economics and Trade, Business Economics and equivalent.
3. If no degree certificate is held by the candidate, admission to the 2nd Cycle Degree Programme is subject to assessment by a Board to ascertain the required skills and competencies through the assessment of the candidate's curriculum.
If the Board considers the level of the candidates' knowledge and skills to be satisfactory, they will be allowed to enrol in a test to assess their personal competencies and skills.
4. Admission to the degree programme is subject to the assessment of knowledge and skills in the English language to level B2, by the University Linguistic Centre.
Students holding a corresponding language certification may be exempted from sitting this exam.
5. Admission to the Second Cycle Degree Programme is in any case for all candidates subject to the possession of the established curricular requirements and to the assessment of personal competencies and skills by a Board appointed by the Degree Programme Board (which may be that indicated in paragraph 3). Personal competencies and skills will be assessed through the examination of the curriculum in line with the procedures indicated in the admission procedure.
6. Second Cycle Degree Programmes may include a specific session for international students, appointing a
Board to assess personal competences and skills, compatibly with the schedule laid down in the call for applications for study grants (the deadline of which is indicatively in May).
International students who pass the above-mentioned entrance exam are exempted from the following assessment of their personal competencies and skills required for students generally
StudyPortals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Testimonial Registration Module
Together with the ISIC Association and British Council IELTS, StudyPortals offers you the chance to receive up to £10000 to expand your horizon and study abroad. We want to ultimately encourage you to study abroad in order to experience and explore new countries, cultures and languages.