|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||August 2014|
|Credits:|| 120 ECTS |
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Masters Programme in Peace, Mediation and Conflict Research, which is organized jointly by Åbo Akademi University in Vasa and the University of Tampere, provides interdisciplinary approaches to research on the complex issues of peace and conflict in the contemporary world. These approaches aim to facilitate the understanding of the deep roots of wars and conflicts as well as their short and long term consequences. This Masters Programme also studies the preconditions for conflict resolution and peace in local as well as in international and global contexts.
In this Masters Programme peace and conflicts are understood as processes, thus the programme helps to analyze not only the evolution of the conflicts, but also peace building, mediation and negotiation. A variety of approaches, procedures, tools and methods are analyzed in practical context within the Masters Programme in Peace, Mediation and Conflict Research.
The programme aims to prepare students for postgraduate studies, independent research work, as well as for professional activity of various types in the society, ranging from interpersonal to international conflict situations.
* Programme period: autumn semester 2014 (late August) - spring semester 2016 (May)
* Duration: two academic years
* Coordinating unit at the University of Tampere: Tampere Peace Research Institute (TAPRI) in cooperation with the School of Management and the School of Social Sciences and Humanities
* Extent: 120 credits/ECTS credits
* Specialization: Administrative Science, History, International relations, Peace and Conflict Research, Psychology or Social Anthropology
STRUCTURE OF THE MASTERS PROGRAMME IN PEACE, MEDIATION AND CONFLICT RESEARCH
The workload per one academic year is 1600 hours which corresponds to 60 ECTS credits. At least some courses will be simultaneously taught at both universities via video-links between classrooms in Vasa and Tampere.
Foundation studies 25 ECTS
* Introduction to Peace and Conflict Studies 1 & 2 (10 ECTS)
* Scientific writing (5 ECTS)
* Research Methods (10 ECTS)
Compulsory Advanced studies 25 ECTS
* Theoretical and Philosophical studies (10 ECTS)
* Elective Advanced studies (10 ECTS)
* Thesis Seminar (5 ECTS)
Specialization studies Choose at least 2 courses from A and at least 2 courses from B, altogether 35 ECTS. If you choose the internship, then complete 30 ECTS with courses.
A Analytic Conflict Research (at least 10 ECTS)
Åbo Akademi University
* Aggressive Behavior (5 ECTS)
* Child Abuse and Domestic Violence (5 ECTS)
* Understanding Violence (5 ECTS)
* Cross-Cultural Psychology (5 ECTS)
* Mass Medias Role with Crisis (5 ECTS)
* Political Psychology (5 ECTS)
* Crisis & Trauma: PTSD and Other Long- term Effects (5 ECTS)
University of Tampere
* Approaches to Analytic Conflict Research (5 ECTS)
* Human Mobility in Peace and Conflict Research (5 ECTS)
* Visual Peace Research: The Visual Construction of Knowledge in Peace and Conflict Research (5 ECTS)
* Power of Identity: Nationalism, Memory & Conflicts (5 ECTS)
* Peace Ethics, Philosophy and Modernity (5 ECTS)
* From Colonial to Post-Colonial Conflicts (5 ECTS)
B Conflict Resolution and Peace Mediation (at least 10 ECTS)
Åbo Akademi University
* Conflict Studies: Theory &Models (5 ECTS)
* Conflict Studies: Strategies and Practices (5 ECTS)
* The Power of Nonviolence (5 ECTS)
* Conflict Resolution from a Legal Perspective (5 ECTS)
* Conflict Resol ution in a Cross - Cultural Perspective (5 ECTS) Peaceful Societies and Peace Systems (5 ECTS) Peacemaking & Reconciliation (5 ECTS)
University of Tampere
* Cultures, Dialogues, Conflicts (5 ECTS)
* Peacemakers: an individual-related approach to understandings of peace (5 ECTS)
* International Peace Building: Historical and Critical Approach (5 ECTS)
* Environmental Dimensions of Conflicts and Peace Building (5 ECTS)
* Resolution of Regional Conflicts (5 ECTS)
* Peaceful Change and Security Community Building (5 ECTS)
* Peace Psychology: human rights and conflict resolution (5 ECTS)
C Optional internship (5 ECTS)
* Thesis 35 ECTS
A three-year Bachelor's degree, a Master's degree or equivalent diploma in the Humanities, Social Sciences or Behavioral Sciences (e.g., peace & conflict studies, international relations, history, anthropology, psychology, education, and administrative sciences).
The Bachelor's degree must be completed by the time the programme begins. If the degree is not completed by the end of the application period, an applicant can be accepted to the programme on the condition that s/he sends the degree certificate to the School office by the end of July. The applicant will first receive a notification on conditional acceptance and later an official letter of acceptance once the degree certificate has reached the School office.
In addition, fluency in English sufficiently advanced for academic studies is required. Work experience relevant to the programme or other relevant merits and qualifications may be taken into account. Mastering of second foreign language is a merit.
Applicants must submit evidence on a good command of English for academic purposes:
* TOEFL, Test of English as a Foreign Language; 90/Internet-based, 575/paper-based
* IELTS (Academic), International English Language Testing System; 6.5 with no individual score below 5.5
* PTE (Academic) 62
Other acceptable ways of indicating English language proficiency:
* A Bachelor's degree in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States, Finland or one of the Nordic countries, excluding MBA degrees and online degrees, with the applicant having stayed in the respective country when studying for the Bachelor's degree.
* Secondary education in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||575|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||90|
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.