|Application deadline:||January 15|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||August 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||60 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||12 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Are you interested in deepening your knowledge of the limitations of the human body and possible ways to enhance performance? This might be a program for you!
This masters program in sport and exercise science takes an exercise physiological and sports biomechanical approach to the scientific study of human performance. We explore the bodys ability to perform athletically both at an elite as well as at a recreational level.
After completion of the program, students should have acquired extensive knowledge and understanding relating to the potential and limitations of human performance in the fields of exercise physiology and sports biomechanics. Partly delivered via distance learning and intensive study weeks, courses are designed to develop students understanding of factors determining human performance, and acquire skills in methods and techniques for assessing, analyzing and evaluating human performance both at an elite sports level as well as for human health performance.
The masters programme (60 credits) is partly given in collaboration with University of Worcester, England, also offering the opportunity to complete some course work abroad. The program prepares the student to go into future careers in sport and exercise science, or progress to further post-graduate study/research.
Upon successful completion of the degree program, a degree certificate will be issued bearing the title Degree of Masters of Science with a major in Sports and Exercise Science - Human Performance
The career opportunities available to sport and exercise scientists are expanding, and the expansion appears set to continue into the foreseeable future. This program prepares the student to go into careers in sport and exercise science, or progress to further postgraduate study/research.
The masters programme in sports and exercise science - human performance aims to extend and deepen the students knowledge of the limitations and enhancement of the human body to perform during different circumstances - it can be an elite athlete trying to improve the world record, or a middle age semi-sedentary person improving quality of life through physical activity.
The program begins with a distance learning course including intensive study weeks; limitations to human performance, 7,5 credits followed by two on campus courses focusing on theory and practice in research methods commonly used in the fields of sports and exercise science; research methods in sports and exercise science 7,5 credits, and assessing human performance 7,5 credits. The first semester finishes with improving human performance, 7,5 credits.
The second semester students can choose between a 30 credits thesis/degree project or choose between optional course work (15 credits) or complete a 15 credits professional placement and a 15 credits thesis/degree project. The final thesis project at the advanced level of 15 or 30 credits can be a research task or a human performance assessment project. If students choose to do a 15 credit thesis they have the option to apply for a professional placement course (15 credits) or select optional courses (total 15 credits).
During the professional placement students are given the opportunity to apply the theoretical material delivered in the taught modules to their work with individual clients, groups or teams. Moreover, the optional courses should lie within the fields of exercise physiology, sports biomechanics or a closely related field.
All courses offered in the program are at second cycle level and have English as the working language. The following structure apply:
* Limits to human performance* 7,5 ECTS(distance learning)
* Research methods in sports and exercise science 7,5 ECTS
* Assessing human performance* 7,5 ECTS
* Improving human performance* 7,5 ECTS(distance learning)
* Thesis/Degree Project* 15 or 30 ECTS
With a 15 ECTS credits thesis; the student can choose between:
Optional courses* 15 ECTS or Professional Placement* 15 ECTS
* = Within main field of study
Entrance requirements is a Bachelor of Science (alt. B.A.) in the field of Sports and Exercise Science with a minimum of 60 credits in the areas of (sports) biomechanics, (exercise) physiology, and/or athletic training, or the equivalent at an accredited university.
Applicants must also have written and verbal command of the English language equivalent to English course B (Swedish Upper-Secondary School). This can be proved by grades from English education or by such tests as:
* IELTS: score (Academic) of 6.5 or more (with none of the sections scoring less than 5.5)
* TOEFL paper based: score of 4.5 in written test and a total score of 575
* TOEFL internet-based: score of 20 in written test and a total score of 90
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||575|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||90|
Each year Halmstad University offers a number of scholarships to qualified students from outside the EU/EEA.These scholarships may be granted to students within any field of study at Halmstad University.
The applicant should be a citizen of a country outside the EU/EES with the requirement of paying tuition fee for studies at Halmstad University except for the following countries: Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
Please observe that anyone offered a scholarship has to accept the place at the study program at as well as the scholarship offer from the University.
The scholarship covers part of the tuition fee and will be dedutced from the tuition fee invoice.
The scholarship will not cover living costs and there are no grants for family members.
The scholarship nomination process
Applicants will receive a notification by email on how to apply for a Halmstad University scholarship.
Applicants with a Halmstad University study program as their first choice, will have priority in the nomination.
The committee will award scholarships to students based on academic merits. Usually this is based on GPA but also ranking of the previous university and profiency in English. Halmstad University also favours an even distribution of students when it comes to country of origin and gender.
Halmstad University will notify the recipients of scholarships by email.
The scholarship will initially be granted for one semester, but will be automatically extended for the duration of the study program (2 or 4 semesters) provided that study results are satisfactory.
The Swedish Institute scholarships
The Swedish Institute, a government agency, each year administers over 500 scholarships for students and researchers coming to Sweden to pursue their objectives at a Swedish university. Some programs may have specific scholarships connected only to the program or the subject area. Some of these programs are:
* The Visby Program Swedish Institute Baltic Sea Region Exchange Program. For academic institutions and individuals from Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania as well as Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia. Grants are awarded for projects and for individual scholarships.
* Swedish-Turkish Program. For citizens of Turkey pursuing master´s level or advanced level studies in Sweden in the field of social sciences and law, such as International and European Relations, European Affairs, European Law, or Human Rights Law.
* Other scholarships. The Swedish Government offers a scholarship program for students from 12 developing countries: Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
* The Bicentennial Swedish-American Exchange Fund. The Bicentennial Fund is open to applicants from the U.S. and awards grants for two to four weeks´ length in amounts of up to SEK 30.000. It is specifically intended for professional enrichment.
* Pakistan Overseas Scholarship Scheme. This scholarship program is exclusively open to Pakistani nationals aiming to pursue master´s level and PhD studies in Sweden.
* SI Scholarships for East Europe. The program is available for master´s level studies and open to applicants from Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Georgia, Kosovo, Moldova and Serbia.