Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
|Application deadline:||February 15|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||August 2013|
|Credits:|| 120 ECTS |
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Master's Programme in ICT Innovation, Embedded Systems (ES)
The program in Embedded Systems refers to electronic components in a wide range of personal and industrial devices, as can be found in transportation systems, health-care equipments or equipments in the construction industry. In all these areas, embedded systems give added value to the products by either extending the range of the delivered functionalities or by enhancing the quality of the traditional functionality to the user.
ES major programme outline and specialisations in the second year
Embedded systems technology constitutes the basis of a wide range of application areas, which are entailed by EIT ICT Labs action lines in many ways. The three entry points for the ES major are KTH Royal Institute of Technology, TU Berlin and TU Eindhoven. This table lists the Embedded systems specialization tracks and their central connections to the action lines.
* Real-Time Embedded Systems - University of Trento (UNITN)
* Embedded Networking - 3TU - TU Eindhoven, TU Delft
* Energy Efficient Computing - University of Turku, Åbo Akademi University
A detailled description of the above specializations can be found under the Contents tab at the bottom of this page. To meet the requirements for geographic mobility, the chosen exit point needs to differ from the chosen entry point.
Innovation & Entrepreneurship Minor
An important part of the programme are the I&E courses. The I&E basics course provides an introduction to business and management. The Business Development Lab will extend media systems engineering projects by a market survey, a business model generation process, and a venture development exercise. We emphasize user driven innovation and holistic analysis of service, technology, organization and financial perspectives, as new media technologies are disruptive for existing business models and almost always have a significant impact on the culture and social relations. Society-relevant themes will also be at the core of the summer schools, which will bring students from the different entry points together.
Embedded systems is a very active and quickly growing industrial area which includes multinational giants like ABB and Siemens, medium sized enterprises, and innovation driven startups. At each node there is an active industry located with strong ties to the local university. This industry, which has a keen interest in securing a long-term competence base and in recruiting innovative engineers, will support the ES technical major and offer intern positions for design projects and master theses. Each node will develop a network of companies that are committed to offer a certain number of intern positions every year. The potential areas where an embedded system engineer could be offered highly ranked job opportunities is in the fields of Avionics and Aerospace, Mobile Communication and Automation, just to name a few examples.
About the EIT ICT Labs Master School
The EIT ICT Labs Master School offers a two year programme where you can choose two universities in two different European countries to build a curriculum of your choice based on your skills and interest. We offer double degrees, which combines technical competence with a set of skills in Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Almost 20 universities around Europe are committed to the programmes that offer a great variety of majors.
Technical Major in Embedded Systems (ES) specialisations in the second year
Real-Time Embedded Systems - University of Trento (UNITN)
* Laboratory of Embedded Control Systems (6 ECTS)
* Safety critical systems (6 ECTS)
One of the two following
* Lab. of Wireless Sensor Networks (6 ECTS)
* Hardware Software Co-Design (6 ECTS)
* Lab. of Nomadic Communication (6 ECTS)
* Network Security (6 ECTS)
* Wireless Sensor Networks (6 ECTS)
* Hardware Software Codesig (6 ECTS)
* Computing systems for signal processing (6 ECTS)
* Optimization of Electronic Systems (6 ECTS)
* Signals and Systems (6 ECTS)
Embedded Networking - 3TU - TU Eindhoven, TU Delft
* Architecture of Distributed Systems (5 ECTS)
* Wireless Sensor Networks (5 ECTS)
* Large-scale Adaptive Systems (5 ECTS)
* Ad-hoc Networks (4 ECTS)
* Wireless Communication I (3 ECTS)
* Physical Aspects of Computer Security (3 ECTS)
* Complex Networks (2 ECTS)
* Advances in Networking (5 ECTS)
* Video Processing for Multimedia Systems (4 ECTS)
At least One of the following:
* Seminar Algorithms (5 ECTS)
* Advanced Topics in Multimedia Video Coding (4 ECTS)
* Measuring and Simulating the Internet (4 ECTS)
* Energy Efficient Embedded Systems (5 ECTS)
Energy Efficient Computing - University of Turku, Åbo Akademi University
This specialisation builds holistic understanding on the mechanisms of energy consumption in embedded systems and practical skills to tackle challenges of energy-aware design.
* Smart Spaces: Future applications in smart space and mobile domains require increasing computational capacity. However, no revolutionary new energy sources will be available. Instead the needed computational capacity must be provided by improving energy efficiency of algorithms and architectures.
* Smart Energy Systems: Smart grid solutions are based on energy efficient embedded technologies: increasing intelligence (computational complexity) of a grid should not increase energy consumptions
* Health & Well-Being: Energy efficient embedded computing will have an essential role in implementing future health & well-being applications and systems.
* Seminar on Energy Efficient Computing (5 ECTS)
* Design methods for Energy Efficient Embedded Systems (5 ECTS)
* Low-Power Circuit and System Design (5 ECTS)
* Many-Core Processor Programming (5 ECTS)
* Multi-Media Algorithm Implementation (5 ECTS)
* System-on-Chip Design (5 ECTS)
* Complex Networks (2 ECTS)
* Reconfigurable Computing (5 ECTS)
* Seminar on Special Thematic Areas (Smart 5 Spaces, Smart Energy Systems, Embedded Systems in Health and Well Being Applications) (4 ECTS)
Summer & Winter Schools and Camps
All students take part in an EIT ICT Master School kick-off and a joint summer programme. Summer and winter schools support each individual study programme with a multidisciplinary and international dimension, and create a clear EIT ICT Labs joint touch to our education. A set of thematic oriented camps with integrated technical and business focus are organized in co-operation with research and business activities. They summer and winter schools bring together various stakeholders in our eco-system at EIT ICT Labs. Integrated competitions and camps on innovation aspects provide focused hands-on experience for our students, young faculty and post-docs.
Ranking and selection
The number of study places available is limited and the application process highly competitive.
The application and selection process is coordinated by the Master School Office. Applications are processed in three steps:
* Document legacy and eligibility control regarding academic background and English proficiency (Master School Office)
* Control of specific admission requirements for each major applied for (Technical Major Programme Committee)
* Ranking (Technical Major Programme Committee)
The ranking is based on a total evaluation of the following criteria:
* Suitability of acquired bachelor degree for intended study program
* Academic excellence (Quality and recognition of home university, Study success)
* Entrepreneurial excellence
* Innovative potential
To qualify applicants need to fulfill the admission requirements based on previous studies, English proficiency and documentation.
1. Previous studies: A completed Bachelor's degree
Applicants must have completed a Bachelor's degree encompassing a minimum of 180 ECTS credits or equivalent academic qualifications from an internationally recognized university.
Students in their final year of undergraduate education may also apply and if qualified, receive a conditional offer. If you have not completed your studies, please include a written statement from the degree administration office (or equivalent department), confirming that you are enrolled on the final year of your education and giving your expected completion date. If you receive a conditional offer, you should present your degree certificate to the Admissions Office before enrollment at the latest. Applicants following longer technical programmes and who have completed courses equivalent to an amount of 180 ECTS, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
2. Language requirements: Proof of English proficiency
Applicants must provide proof of their English language proficiency, which is most commonly established through an internationally recognized test.
IELTS Academic Training test (An overall band score of at least 6.5, with no section lower than 6, is required. IELTS-tests are verified online by the Master School Office, sending a photocopy of your test together with your application documents is therefore sufficient.
TOEFL Internet-based test (A total score of at least 92 (with writing section 22) is required. English test results from TOEFL should be sent directly from the ETS test centre to KTH Admissions Office (institution code 7966, department code 99). Examinee score reports or photocopies are not accepted. Please also note that neither TOEIC nor institutional TOEFL are accepted as sufficient proof of English proficiency.
University of Cambridge/ University of Oxford Certificates Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): grades A- C are accepted. Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): grades A- C are accepted.
3. Specific admission requirements for the majors
BSc in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science. Outstanding candidates from closely related disciplines will be considered as well. Previous education must have included basic mathematics courses within linear algebra, Fourier methods and probability theory.
|TOEFL internet-based test score:||92|
For the most highly ranked admitted students (as a minimum 30%), we will provide fee waivers. EIT ICT Labs has also reserved funding for scholarships covering personal expenses on the level of 9000 Euro per year and student, however a formal decision by the European Commission is pending in this matter.
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.