|Application deadline:||January 15|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014, September 2015|
|Credits (ECTS):||120 ECTS|
|Duration full-time:||24 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
This programme aims at deepening and broadening the students knowledge of different fields in Human Geography. Human Geography is the discipline about society and its geography. A geographical perspective involves considering relations of proximity and distance and to explore geographical patterns.
There is a strong tradition in Human Geography research work to study societal matters in different places and regions in the world. This discipline is a framework to pursue broad studies and it gives opportunities to specialize in deep and detailed studies.
Purpose and learning objectives
Through this programme you will obtain broad knowledge and specialized knowledge in different fields of Human Geography thorough knowledge in methods required to assess others work and pursue own studies skills to do research work skills to discuss, communicate and present others and your own research results
Programme content and structure
The contents of the programme can be designed according to your interest. Specializations in landscape studies, population geography, migration, economic geography and urban processes are possible. The programme offers possibilities for field studies.
There are three compulsory courses in the programme: an introductory course in theory and method in Human Geography, one of the three thematic courses (Migration and Social Change a Life-Course Perspective; Globalizing Economies Cities and Firms in Networks; and Landscape Past and Present) and a masters thesis in human geography, corresponding to a total of 60 credits.
In addition, courses in human geography amounting to at least 45 credits must be included and there is the possibility of including courses in other relevant subjects amounting to a maximum of 15 credits.
Degree and career options
The programme leads to a Masters degree in Human Geography. Through this programme you will develop your skills and competence to do research work, to assess research work and to communicate research work. In parallel you will obtain broad and specialized knowledge in the wide field of Human Geography.
This combination of skills and knowledge qualifies the holder to participate in research and development work and to do advanced applied work. There are potential employers both nationally and internationally, often in the public sector but also in private firms. The programme offers an ideal grounding for students wishing to pursue a Doctorate in Human Geography.
General requirements for Master's programmes:
- An academic degree (i.e. a Bachelors degree or the equivalent, at least 180 ECTS.) Stockholm University does accept applicants in their last year of Bachelor's studies. See note below: Previous university records
- Proficiency in English, which must be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
* IELTS score (Academic) of 6.5 or more (with no section scoring below 5.5)
* TOEFL score 20 in written test, total score of 90 (internet based)
* TOEFL score 4,5 in written test, total score of 575 (paperbased)
* Cambridge/Oxford - Advanced or Proficiency level
TOEFL test scores must be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS), to University Admissions in Sweden (institution code: SWEDEN 3477).
English language test exemptions
Some students may be exempt from submitting formal test evidence. These are:
* Students who have a Bachelor's degree from a university where English is the only language of instruction, according to the latest edition of International Handbook of Universities.
* Students who have a Bachelor's degree (a Swedish Kandidatexamen or equivalent academic qualifications) with English as the major subject.
* Students with a 4-year university degree in Engineering, Science or Technology from India and Pakistan.
* Students who have 30 HE credits from a Nordic country and the language of instruction of the course/programme/university is English.
|TOEFL paper-based test score :||575|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||90|