Receive relevant New and Updated programmes: Personal Updates !
MLitt: 12 months full-time; 24 months part-time
* Modern History at Glasgow brings together a wide range of world-leading social and political historians, active in research on topics from the French Revolution to the War on Terror in Afghanistan.
* Members of the Centre for Gender History, the Centre for War Studies and the Centre for Scottish Cultural Studies are all leaders in their fields.
* In the most recent independent review of research quality (RAE 2008), History at Glasgow was placed in the top two Scottish universities and in the top ten of the prestigious UK Russell Group.
* You will enjoy ready access to the Baillie Collection, our prized collection of printed medieval and modern sources in Scottish, Irish and English history. The collection also offers printed state papers, Historical Manuscript Commission publications and a select collection of modern monographs.
* Our programme has strong links with the University's Hunterian Museum & Art Gallery, giving you access to primary source material including an enormous collection of anatomical and pathological specimens, coins, books, manuscripts and ethnography.
* You will also have unparalleled access to Scotland's world-leading collections including the National Library of Scotland, the National Collections and the Mitchell Library, Glasgow.
* Internships are available with the Hunterian Museum. There are also opportunities to work closely with other key institutions such as Glasgow Museums and Glasgow Women's Library.
All of our History Masters are built around a hands-on research training course, a core course on how the discipline has evolved and other courses focusing on your technical skills and other abilities like languages and palaeography.
If you choose to study Modern History, there will be a guided selection of courses that will provide you with the specialised knowledge in that field. You will be taught through a series of seminars and workshops. Internationally recognised historians give guest lectures throughout the year.
In the final part of the programme, you will select a specialised topic and conduct original primary source research for your dissertation. You are supported in your research and writing up by an assigned supervisor with expertise in your field of inquiry..
* Research resources and skills for historians.
* Course options may include
* Secret intelligence in the 20th century
* American material culture
* Introduction to social theory for researchers
* American counterculture
* History of medicine, 1850-2000
* The American way of war
* Topics in historical computing
* White supremacy
* Social history and social theory
* Issues, ideologies and institutions of modern Scotland
* Gender, politics and power.
The courses taught each year vary depending upon staff availability.
To widen your approach and develop an interdisciplinary perspective, you are also strongly encouraged to take one or two complementary courses in cognate subjects, such as
* The art of war
* Democracy and governance: classical political thought
* Political philosophy
* 2D digitisation
* Archives and records theory
* Employers, elites and the state: capitalism in Britain.
Courses in Scottish literature, English literature, theology, history of art and other College of Arts subjects can also be studied, by agreement with the programme convener.
Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified.
Note: a short (one paragraph) statement of interest is also required.
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
mastersportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.